PDA

View Full Version : Flooding near Moab

Tch2fly
05-26-2009, 08:54 AM
In case anybody ever questions why we don't run Kane Creek when it is raining.

Scary, glad they were OK.

Flashing Flooding in Utah (http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=6593300)

AxleIke
05-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Wow! That is a good reason not to run those roads in the rain!

rover67
05-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Wow, glad they got out OK. We got to see waterfalls like that on Wipe Out hill on saturday.. they were beautiful..

Nemo
05-26-2009, 10:43 AM
I was out in Moab all last week and every day was interesting to say for sure. It rained 5 out of 6 days while there and both Friday and Saturday seemed the worst. I was out on Gemini Bridges Friday when it started pouring and coming down. That was fun until we got into the valley. Ended up not being a big deal. Saturday was another story. After fixing my friends front driveshaft (actually taking it off and sending him downtown) we decided to do Porcupine Rim. Usually a fun somewhat difficult ride but easily done. Myself (lifted LC) and my buddy in a rented jeep had the ride of our lives after it decided to start raining harder and harder. I felt at times that we were stupid for being there but at what point do you do something. There wasn't an option of turning around so we safely as possible kept going. At one point there was a huge waterfall that we had to get as close as possible to and then gun it. Stupid?? I am typing this now so all in all it was a ton of fun. Kane Creek was one of our thoughts but decided against it being that it rained all week..... :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Pics will come...Need to get back from Seattle. Sunny and beautiful unlike Denver...yesterday and Sunday.

Nemo
05-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Question for the smart ones here :)

Is it often this time of year this occurs? I have been going to Moab for the last 10 years and never come up with this type of rain patterns. Felt like I was near Crested Butte or something in the mid summer.... :D

Damn Global Warming.... :-)

ScaldedDog
05-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Question for the smart ones here :)

Is it often this time of year this occurs? I have been going to Moab for the last 10 years and never come up with this type of rain patterns. Felt like I was near Crested Butte or something in the mid summer.... :D

Damn Global Warming.... :-)

Back in the early part of the decade it seemed like it was sunny all the time. Of course, that was when the West was in the middle of a drought, and we thought global warming was real... NOT! :D It's rained like crazy three of the last four trips on us. We tend to go in May and October, and those are the wettest months of the year, if I'm not mistaken.

Mark

Rezarf
05-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Wow, that is amazing footage. I am glad everyone was safe and they knew to climb to higher ground with the kids.

FJBRADY
05-26-2009, 02:40 PM
That's crazy since I drove KC during CM09.....makes sense now after seeing that video!!!!!

gahi
05-26-2009, 03:32 PM
its been crazy here. yesterday evening was the hardest rain I saw all week. My road was flowing like a river. It was a good time to go out waterfall hunting. It kind of ran on the north side of town, so I think it missed Kane Creek.

Inukshuk
05-26-2009, 03:44 PM
I was on Lake Powell and the waterfalls were great. In FiftyMile Canyon we passed a point where a flash flood was cascading out of a slot canyon. At another spot on the Escalante Arm I counted 20 waterfalls at once. Driving out yesterday there was still water in the washes along the road. The lake was rising nearly a foot a day.

nakman
05-26-2009, 04:21 PM
The lake was rising nearly a foot a day.

I can't even beging to calculate how much water that is... so is Lake Powell "full" again? or does it still have a ways to go to get back to its hay day?

IVANII
05-26-2009, 11:35 PM
I was with a big group (20 or so) camping right before the creek crossing up in Kane Creek just before Hurrah pass. Our entire camp got flooded out and we saw the wall coming at us in the creek bed...about 5-6 ft high of debri and crap. Luckily we had advance warning (not much) and I had got my FJ40 to higher ground and we were in the process of moving other gear when it came....we all got to the road safely, no vehicles or gear were lost. the Kane itself actually held the flood through and past our camp (right at the top) except at the trail crossing it was so much water widening out it couldn't all push back into the creek bed it came up the road and dumped into our camp area. The helicopter used our camp area as an LZ later that night (10:00ish). It was crazy. Actually ended up getting some front facia pieces off one of those jeeps in our camp.

we have been going for 10 years on memorial weekend and never saw anything like it- nor have the local sheriffs we were talking to-they said it's the worst they have ever seen. Other than last year(and this one) it has been sunny and HOT over this weekend with barely any moisture. I am extremely delighted that everyone up-stream turned out okay we were worrying about them alot.

MDH33
05-27-2009, 08:24 AM
That's amazing. I've always wanted to see a slot canyon in flash flood (from a safe distance). :) I imagine a lot of trails are going to be very very different after a season like this.

isotel
05-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Take a look at the CLC trip report from 21 Rd, they are lucky they did not get hit by a flash flood

http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado-land-cruisers/277630-grand-junction-then-moab-2.html

During Cruise Moab there was a Killer Waterfall on Hells Revenge Saturday, it was on the other side of the canyon to the East.

Inukshuk
05-27-2009, 12:05 PM
I can't even begin to calculate how much water that is... so is Lake Powell "full" again? or does it still have a ways to go to get back to its hay day?

Its about 45,000 CFS inflow. The lake is 30 feet below average, 80 feet below "full pool". The reservoir stores about 50% of its capacity in the top 100 feet. Its 300 - 450 feet deep in the main channel. Rise of 6" per day is typical for this time of year.

BLACKGOLD
05-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Myself & some friends wheeled/mountain biked the Kokopelli over this past Memorial weekend...the weather was definitely dramatic!

We had some flash-flood action on one day up on the Yellow Jacket Canyon portion of the trail. Luckily it was only about knee deep, so we could drive through it. 1 got stuck in the mud, and had to winch him out. The amount of rain that was coming down was amazing...never seen that before in the Moab area.

nakman
05-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Take a look at the CLC trip report from 21 Rd, they are lucky they did not get hit by a flash flood

http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado-land-cruisers/277630-grand-junction-then-moab-2.html

Wow, sweet pictures! thanks for posting that.