PDA

View Full Version : What is the meaning of your screen name?

Rezarf
05-26-2009, 11:34 AM
I thought this could be interesting... probably been done before but I think there are a lot of new folks around that I haven't heard from.

Here's is mine-

drew FRAZER <-------> REZARF

Let's here it! :thumb:

Drew

treerootCO
05-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Treeroot...

I needed a name that didn't have a bunch of numbers at the end. Names like Bob345234523 were common in the beginning and just seemed tacky to me. In most cases, those with names like that were late adopters of the internets and I wanted to stand out. Even if it wasn't true, a simple handle conveys a sense of leadership, a take charge attitude, and an ability to act quickly in times of need. I wasn't the fastest and, by the time I was trying to choose one, all of the dictionary words @ dot.com had been taken. I was riding my bike trying to think of one when my wheel caught a treeroot. The clarity you have while flying through the air allows plenty of time to get your priorities in order, solve world hunger, think of an email handle, etc. Treeroot isn't a word as is but together, simple enough to be uncommon. Over the years there have been a few adopters of treeroot, but it has been unique enough to usually refer to me.

AxleIke
05-26-2009, 11:38 AM
I used to play Monopoly online with some friends in high school. I kept trying to come up with a truck related name, and AxleIke was the first one that wasn't taken. It stuck.

ScaldedDog
05-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Just an old phrase from the hills of WV...

Uncle Ben
05-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Used to ice race and we called my Cruiser "Wild Rice." Naturally, it didn't take long for it to be "Uncle Ben's Wild Rice."

ElliottB
05-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Mine is way too obscure to even attempt to explain. :rolleyes:

MDH33
05-26-2009, 11:52 AM
boring, I know, but i have never been given a nickname and I won't pick one for myself. ;)

Martin David Huber lucky number '33' = MDH33

Cheeseman
05-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Comes from being an ol' Wisconsin boy once upon a time. Of course it was created and named affectionately by all my wheelin' friends. Of course it could have just as easily been beerman.
________
Cheep Vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net)

timmbuck2
05-26-2009, 12:04 PM
I was WAY ahead of the JLo and ARod's of the world...shortened Timm Buchanan to tbuck for a long time then thought timmbuck was better, and the 2 was obvious...

Romer
05-26-2009, 12:39 PM
I needed something I could remember in my old age.

Crash
05-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Once upon a time, decades ago, I rode in the Rocky Mountain Enduro Circuit for several years, more to have fun and see parts of Colorado and New Mexico that few got to see rather than as a serious competitor. Got lucky one time, though, and won my class but for that race my name on the entry form got changed from Crase to Crash so at the awards ceremony I was introduced as Steve Crash. Never forgot that and after a few mini-flops in wedgy situations - see avatar - I dredged up the old memory. Can't seem to part with the trophy from that day either.

nakman
05-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Nickname given to me in junior high.. still in use today in fact by friends I still see from that era, which is slowly starting to feel like a long time ago (back when Cheeseman was a single guy!)

rover67
05-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Pretty lame.. but I needed a user name when I started restoring the first truck I had... a 1967 Series IIA Rover. I just kept it because it was easy..

corsair23
05-26-2009, 12:55 PM
My nickname in HS and to this day by some is El Jefe...But, that was taken so I went with the standby...Nothing too exciting. I love planes and the old WWII era Corsair is my favorite ever since watching "Baa Baa Black Sheep" on TV :) - The 23 is similarly not so exciting...My day of birth, lucky number, and the number I wore when playing soccer.

nakman
05-26-2009, 01:00 PM
My nickname in HS and to this day by some is El Jefe...But, that was taken so I went with the standby...Nothing too exciting. I love planes and the old WWII era Corsair is my favorite ever since watching "Baa Baa Black Sheep" on TV :) - The 23 is similarly not so exciting...My day of birth, lucky number, and the number I wore when playing soccer.

And all this time I thought you were a computer guy... do you run Corsair RAM? :comp:

corsair23
05-26-2009, 01:04 PM
And all this time I thought you were a computer guy... do you run Corsair RAM? :comp:

Yep :D - I collect all things with the Corsair name to boot. I have a large collection of framed art with Corsairs (and planes in general), mini die cast planes, wood planes, crystal planes, Zippo lighters with a Corsair on them, Corsair stamps, and even a Corsair tennis racket :hill:. When we moved into our new home 6 years ago the room I took over as the computer room had light blue paint on the walls, perfect to simulate the sky for all my wall art :lmao:

Crash
05-26-2009, 01:26 PM
hijack on:
Jeff, my father was a TBM Avenger pilot during the latter stages of WWII flying off a carrier. I have some old pictures you may like to see.
hijack off.

Beater
05-26-2009, 01:31 PM
beater - two reasons...

I tend to pick up items in rough "beater" condition, and fix em up

I have a passion for beating metal

trucruiser
05-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Last name Trujillo love for Cruisers=Trucruiser

FJBRADY
05-26-2009, 02:37 PM
I drive an FJ (2) and my last name is Brady.....

Uncle Ben
05-26-2009, 02:52 PM
boring, I know, but i have never been given a nickname and I won't pick one for myself. ;)

Hmmmmm....that is a call for help if I ever heard one.....never fear Martin....we are here for you! ;) :lmao::lmao::lmao::hill:

corsair23
05-26-2009, 02:57 PM
hijack on:
Jeff, my father was a TBM Avenger pilot during the latter stages of WWII flying off a carrier. I have some old pictures you may like to see.
hijack off.

Most definitely :thumb:

Hulk
05-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Named after my FJ40. It didn't have nickname for years (I bought it in 1999).

In 2003, we were running Spring Creek on the annual Father's Day run. One of Bill Morgan's passengers jumped in with me for the day. He was a high school kid, a wrestler IIRC (don't remember his name).

He knew Bill's truck was called "Red Chili" so he asked if my 40 had a nickname. I said no, but I wouldn't mind one. It was just that nothing I had thought of seemed right.

After running the rock garden, my passenger suggested "The Hulk," since my 40 was "green and mighty." The name stuck. There was a new Hulk movie in the theaters at the time, so Hulk awareness was high. Being a comic book fan back in the 70s, I was enthusiastic.

Squishy!
05-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Back in High School my girlfriend (then) and I had gone to see Finding Nemo. Sometime after the movie she was getting out of my truck and fell flat on her face turned around and yelled, "BAD SQUISHY!" and it stuck.

Squishy!
05-26-2009, 03:01 PM
The 4runner is the the little red wagon that could, so RadioFlyer it was.

corsair23
05-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Back in High School my girlfriend (then) and I had gone to see Finding Nemo. Sometime after the movie she was getting out of my truck and fell flat on her face turned around and yelled, "BAD SQUISHY!" and it stuck.

:lmao:, seriously :lmao:

Caribou Sandstorm
05-26-2009, 03:15 PM
My name is Chris...My FJ color is Sandstorm...So no big mystery...

However when I started receiving packages in the mail addressed to Chris Sandstorm...The wife rolled her eyes and said "you have a problem.."

We don't really have a nickname for our rig. We just call it the FJ.

wesintl
05-26-2009, 03:32 PM
However when I started receiving packages in the mail addressed to Chris Sandstorm...The wife rolled her eyes and said "you have a problem.."

That's funny chris :lmao:

Hmmmmm....that is a call for help if I ever heard one.....never fear Martin....we are here for you! ;) :lmao::lmao::lmao::hill:

The fcc already did that KD0GWM

MDH33
05-26-2009, 04:33 PM

The fcc already did that KD0GWM

Now don't be hatin' :o :D

Crash
05-26-2009, 04:55 PM

Martin David Huber lucky number '33' = MDH33

Martin, you raise an interesting point. I'm with you thinking that choosing your own nickname is rather boorish, witness George Castanza on Seinfeld, choosing the nickname T-Bone. :hill: Nicknames, IMO, should be given by others and, generally, earned. Screen names are a different kettle of fish however, but they still seem to stick as nicknames these days. I can't imagine calling you MDH33 on the CB but names like Uncle Ben and Cheeseman slip right of the tongue. A conundrum. While leading trails for the first time this year at Cruise Moab, hearing my Rising Sun screen name on the radio gave me pause, wondering what folks might be thinking as they heard "Crash" being hailed.

CBone
05-26-2009, 05:09 PM
C-Bone (not self named like George on Seinfield as Crash points out)
Was awarded the nomme de guerre when I was in the high school band :D. My buddies would heckle me and give me s$*t from the sidelines, yelling out obscenities to CBone--no one in the band knew who they were talking about, except me, of course. Shortly thereafter dropped the band for the woodshop wing of the school, but the name stuck.

Then, decades later I was attending Sturgis, the big biker rally in SD, camped with some great people from Oregon and Washington state, and after spending a day with them, they also came up with CBone, without knowing any previous history.

Great thread Drew...

Air Randy
05-26-2009, 05:32 PM
I bought my first diesel pickup truck, a Ford Powerstroke, in 1996. I used it for towing our boat through the mountains to/from Lake Powell and I needed a forum name for the Ford Diesel website so thats how I came up with MtnTrucker. As I joined more online forums for various things (Audi Club, Rising Sun, etc) I just used the same handle since I was too lazy to think up a new one.

Jethro
05-26-2009, 05:33 PM
This is the name given to my first 40 (pictured above) by the previous owners. I don't really know why they chose that name. Then when there were too many Bruce's around I got stuck with Jethro.

Lars
05-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Lars is a nickname given to me in college. it's a refrence from the movie "caveman" with ringo starr. My first Job from college was designing an recycling outhouse for the national forest service. there was a scene in the movie where they were collecting the dinosaur dung. The name just just kind of stuck.

nuclearlemon
05-26-2009, 05:46 PM

I used to watch that show religiously. my brother had one of the models of the planes that he hung above my bed.:)

me and a few friends were bored one day and decided that black and white wasnt' a good color for my 40 (it had been dubbed "the antichrist" by mark sobczek's wife), so we went to walmart in search of a cool color. picked a bright yellow. so bright we were seeing spots by the time we were done and once dusk came around, we found the entire hood was plastered with gnats attracted to the obnoxious color. it was "nuclearyellow" after that.

the lemon part came when we all went on a run. me in my yellow 40, kim in her purple 40, russ in his green 40 and dad in his red toy pickup. i realized we were the fruit loop troop....lemon, grape, lime and cherry.

bh4rnnr
05-26-2009, 06:05 PM
witness George Castanza on Seinfeld, choosing the nickname T-Bone.

Man that was a good episode.

Bh4rnnr:

Combined the two things I enjoy the most

Bh= Big Head Todd and the Monsters

4rnnr= My 1987 Toyota 4runner.

Tch2fly
05-26-2009, 06:33 PM
TeaCH 2 FLY
teach not tech as some have thought.

When I was doing a lot of flight instruction I got TCH2FLY as my vanity plates hoping to "advertise" my services.

I think here or MUD was the first place I ever used it as a forum name because at one time I played a lot of online FPS computer games and always used the my in-game name as my forum handle.
I was getting to old for that and so I figured it was time to retire "Indeh" (an Apache indian word meaning "the dead" and I flew the Apache helicopter in-game ... pretty clever, right ;) ) so if any of you played Desert Combat and got smacked down by Indeh ... that was me:D

jacdaw
05-26-2009, 07:05 PM
My RS board handle is brand new, as my minitruck is my first Toyota and I felt like recreating myself. I had always laughed at the thought of Toyota calling their basic truck a HiLux (although, according to wiki, iirc. it really did have deluxe trim compared to earlier models). Hence lolux pokes fun at my minitruck's meager appointments.

Back in '94 when I was hanging out on rec.autos.4x4 and looking for fellow early bronco owners amidst the RAV4 owners, I adopted my middle name, Drew, to protect my identity somewhat. Drew Carey's show was popular at the time, so lots of folks thought I was actually him. Crazy. Drew has been my forum handle ever since -- until RS. And now I wish I could change it. I'm sure my minitruck will not be my last Toyota 4x4. I go by jacdaw on MUD, tho I only lurk there. jac, my initials; the raven, my totem; the jackdaw is an Irish member of the crow family. I'm an irish American. So it goes.

Uncle Ben
05-26-2009, 07:05 PM
This is a great and well overdue thread Drew! Good on ya!:thumb::thumb:

jettaglxdriver
05-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Mine is obvious.

I still have the same Jetta I have had since 1999 when I made the username.

wesintl
05-26-2009, 07:40 PM
And now I wish I could change it.

anything is possible is you know the right people. I wonder if i'd still know who you are though...

cbmontgo
05-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Mine came from my college email address as assigned by the University of Mississippi in 1996...cbmontgo@olemiss.edu. It just sort of stuck when I opened up other email accounts and forum names...

farnhamstj
05-26-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm in the uncreative category and without nickname. Farnham St John is the name. Yeah my parents gave me that as a legal name. I'm British. Pronounced like, "Barnum and Bailey circus", but with a F.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnham

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Farnham

Convert
05-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Mine is simple I had sold the H**P and was in search of an 80 series. I called a friend (BVB) while I was registering to get on IH8mud, his response to my screen name search was Convert

Inukshuk
05-26-2009, 10:53 PM
We were on the 2006 Outlaws Run and my passenger was a guy named Steve Selwyn, like a second dad to me. Steve also has an encyclopedic knowledge of things. As I guided us through the desert, and after crossing a place we had to stack rocks (not for my rig of course), and hearing that Perry, Nathanial and Dan all had CB handles, he said mine should be Inukshuk.

"The mysterious stone figures known as inuksuit can be found throughout the circumpolar world. Inukshuk, the singular of inuksuit, means "in the likeness of a human" in the Inuit language. They are monuments made of unworked stones that are used by the Inuit for communication and survival. The traditional meaning of the inukshuk is "Someone was here" or "You are on the right path."" http://www.inukshukgallery.com/inukshuk.html

Its the Inuit form of cairns. See the Avatar picture.

The deep meaning and complimentary aspect is how I guide myself and others in 4-wheeling and life. :thumb:

The joke is that I'm a rockstacker. :eek:

subzali
05-26-2009, 11:07 PM
I was having the same trouble as treeroot. Matt Miller being the name, variations of that get used up a lot :rolleyes:

So I was pondering for the right one, and was watching a John Wayne movie one day and saw it and I knew it was right:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=5680&stc=1&d=1186375128

SUBZALI GARAGE the sign said. And so subzali, being a VERY unique name for at least this part of the world, was my handle of choice. Though I did choose it myself and it wasn't given to me, I kinda like it.

I call the truck Brahma (it's nuclearlemon's friend's old purple 40 she mentioned above), because the first picture I saw of it reminded me of the Merrill Lynch bull standing ready to charge. Also similar to the Brahma topper shells you see around, and I thought the name was pretty cool too.

bigbluefj
05-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Well let's see i'm a big guy my truck is blue and it's a fj so you now get

bigbluefj

Uncle Ben
05-26-2009, 11:36 PM
I was having the same trouble as treeroot. Matt Miller being the name, variations of that get used up a lot :rolleyes:

SUBZALI GARAGE the sign said. And so subzali, being a VERY unique name for at least this part of the world, was my handle of choice. Though I did choose it myself and it wasn't given to me, I kinda like it.

Your name will always be Radar! ;) :thumb::thumb:

corsair23
05-26-2009, 11:50 PM

:thumb: - A nickname that was earned for sure :D

Nemo
05-27-2009, 12:19 AM
When I first choose my Screen Name I was looking for something easy but descriptive. I have no idea if it is descriptive but here goes it. It is from Finding Nemo which I thought was applicable because I never show and I am always out of town ;) so my friends were always asking my where I was so applicable at the time. Now that I can wheel and cover anywhere in this country I want to I figured I could really get lost now.... MEH.... :rolleyes:

I think it is still good. :beer:

Myredyota
05-27-2009, 01:47 AM
Mine is too obvious! Our 87 Honda is red also, but we call her Bessie. Our "purple" Honda is called Rose (don't ask, we will lie). Our Packard is called Dad's Baby, she was and I still am!

Jacket
05-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Ok, let's see. Jacket started as an abbreviation for YellowJacket from my old days hanging out on college basketball discussion boards (I went to school in ACC country). I tried to leave it behind at some point, but then I decided I liked the double-meaning of the word in an outdoorsy sense. And I like the fact that it's not a random bunch of letters and numbers and is easy to remember and associate. And I've never come across a place where "jacket" was already in use.

So Jacket it is...

Red_Chili
05-27-2009, 11:40 AM
I had a '97 F250 Powerstroke (don't ask why) that I traded straight across for a '97 green 4Runner, and figured I got the better end of the deal. That became my wife's truck (in partial penance for ever buying a Powerstroke), because it was nice, and because I wanted to get back into 4Wheeling after my 1982 Hilux, and 1989 XtraCab I so foolishly sold, I got her 1990 4Runner, which was red (and tired, but fair game for the welder and modifying).

So which 4Runner to take to the store? The red one, or the green one? Oh, and as it happened that day, I had just made a FINE batch of both red and green chili and I loved all manner of chilis in cooking. Family history in New Mexico will do that to a fella.

So they became Red Chili and Green Chili. The current incarnation of Red Chili (RC2) happened after RC1 stopped the forward progress of an undocumented driver running a red light. No one was hurt, and it was a blessing in disguise, because what I really wanted was an earlier 4Runner with the removable top, so not only did I get that, I got seed money for the project besides.

And so it began...
More in my bio.

Groucho
05-27-2009, 01:37 PM
My personality type is one that will not speak up much unless I have something I feel is important to say. When first playing around on the internet, email and forums were loaded with those cool ih8mud, red69bug, oicurmt, ftwbtwfu, etc handles. I did not want to search my brain for something witty.

So I found somebody witty to do it for me. Once VHS became popular, my grandfather always had Marx Brothers movies around, and sooner than later, so did our family. We rented from the Video Station in Boulder, before Blockbuster and Hollywood video. They always had at least one or two Marx movies. We would watch them until we knew them verbatim. I always loved Marx Brothers humor, because if you weren't paying attention to it, you would miss it. It made you think.

Since Groucho wasn't being used, I chose it.

Groucho: I have half a mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

From Duck SoupRufus T. Firefly(Groucho): Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot, and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you: he really is an idiot. I implore you, send him back to his father and brothers, who are waiting for him with open arms in the penitentiary. I suggest that we give him ten years in Leavenworth, or eleven years in Twelveworth.
Chicolini(Chico): I'll tell you what I'll do: I'll take five and ten in Woolworth.

From Go WestS. Quentin Quale (Groucho): Iíd have thrashed him to within an inch of his life, but I didnít have a tape measure.

Mendocino
05-27-2009, 07:16 PM
in the very early days of mailing lists and forums I needed a screen name and did not want to use my name or some combination of letters and numbers.

We lived in a really spectacular spot in Mendocino County, CA and I took that name. I have used it ever since and so far have not encountered another Mendocino.

Hulk
05-28-2009, 01:42 AM
We lived in a really spectacular spot in Mendocino County, CA and I took that name. I have used it ever since and so far have not encountered another Mendocino.

Now explain your avatar. :confused:

Squishy!
05-28-2009, 03:28 PM
When I first choose my Screen Name I was looking for something easy but descriptive. I have no idea if it is descriptive but here goes it. It is from Finding Nemo which I thought was applicable because I never show and I am always out of town ;) so my friends were always asking my where I was so applicable at the time. Now that I can wheel and cover anywhere in this country I want to I figured I could really get lost now.... MEH.... :rolleyes:

I think it is still good. :beer:

Sweet. Another Finding Nemo reference.

60wag
05-28-2009, 03:49 PM
60wag began on another, now defunct, Land Cruiser forum. The meaning is pretty clear and is actually redundant since all 60s are wagons. An unintended alternate meaning comes from the acronym "wag" which sometimes describes my responses to forum questions. Clear as MUD?

Rezarf
05-30-2009, 12:40 AM
in the very early days of mailing lists and forums I needed a screen name and did not want to use my name or some combination of letters and numbers.

Isn't it legal to grow weed in Mendoncino county? Saw something like that on the TV the other night. CNBC I think.:thumb:

So is there more to that story?:hill::lmao::eek::p:

Drew

Rezarf
05-30-2009, 12:40 AM
This has been cool to read through, thanks for the insight!

Drew

Rezarf
05-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Ok, let's see. Jacket started as an abbreviation for YellowJacket from my old days hanging out on college basketball discussion boards (I went to school in ACC country). I tried to leave it behind at some point, but then I decided I liked the double-meaning of the word in an outdoorsy sense. And I like the fact that it's not a random bunch of letters and numbers and is easy to remember and associate. And I've never come across a place where "jacket" was already in use.

So Jacket it is...

Go Jackets! [insert Buzz smiley here]

Mendocino
05-31-2009, 09:39 AM
Isn't it legal to grow weed in Mendoncino county? Saw something like that on the TV the other night. CNBC I think.:thumb:

So is there more to that story?:hill::lmao::eek::p:

Drew

Mendocino County is an interesting study in sociology. There are ranchers, vintners, hippies, Hollywood types, dope growers, archaeologists and foresters (that would be me and Ann) and migrant agricultural workers. It is also the place where California's medical marijuana law was first implemented by the district attorney and the sheriff. Drew, this is probably where the CNBC angle came from. Lots of people there grow pot for personal purposes.

The Libertarian DA, Norm Vroman (http://ca.lp.org/printer_news20060922.shtml), was a really interesting guy and I am glad to have known him. I did not agree with all of his politics but I did agree with enough of them to help him get elected twice.:D

Once Norm and I were teaching a pistol class and he asked me to get some targets for him from his car. I opened the door and was hit with the smell of marijuana. I kind of chuckled, here was the district attorney, obviously with pot in his car, and teaching a pistol class for CCW students. He certainly was an interesting character.

Mendocino
05-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Now explain your avatar. :confused:

We like to can, and being a bit of a tight fisted guy I frequent garage sales looking for various items, particularly canning items. About 8 months ago I found an original box of Ball "Good Luck Jar Rubbers" from the circa 1940s. The package was in amazing condition for its age. I found the name entertaining and a bit of a departure from the standard Cruiser-Glam-shot.

DaveInDenver
05-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Well, OK, then. I joined a forum a long time ago and my nickname was taken, which is neither surprising (1) in that it was taken nor (b) particularly fitting for me.

I have been known as Opie to my wide multitude of groupies and beer drinking buddies.

But Opie is not exactly a hard nickname to nail down in appropriateness... My buds back then were nothing if not captains of the obvious, eh? But it naturally morphed well, Pie-man, Oh-pie, simply Pie, etc.

Anyway, joining some forum that required registering already had a Opie, so I need something else. Not being particularly creative at the moment I went with something equally uninspired. Now just for consistency I use the same one just so I don't have to remember what my screen name is for a bunch of different places.

But the avatar here works out in a funny sort of 2 degree sorta way, Goober and Opie, etc, etc, etc. It's also one of the few avatars that actually has some meaning, it was part of a response to something Hulk said I think. Most times my avatars are just random or maybe have some relatively obtuse connection to the forum subject.

DaveInDenver
05-31-2009, 12:24 PM
BTW, I guess I can see it. Ron Howard does look a lot like The Dave.

JadeRunner
05-31-2009, 08:18 PM
The color of my runner is "Imperial Jade Mica".

Convert
05-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Well, OK, then. I joined a forum a long time ago and my nickname was taken, which is neither surprising (1) in that it was taken nor (b) particularly fitting for me.

I have been known as Opie to my wide multitude of groupies and beer drinking buddies.

But Opie is not exactly a hard nickname to nail down in appropriateness... My buds back then were nothing if not captains of the obvious, eh? But it naturally morphed well, Pie-man, Oh-pie, simply Pie, etc.

Anyway, joining some forum that required registering already had a Opie, so I need something else. Not being particularly creative at the moment I went with something equally uninspired. Now just for consistency I use the same one just so I don't have to remember what my screen name is for a bunch of different places.

But the avatar here works out in a funny sort of 2 degree sorta way, Goober and Opie, etc, etc, etc. It's also one of the few avatars that actually has some meaning, it was part of a response to something Hulk said I think. Most times my avatars are just random or maybe have some relatively obtuse connection to the forum subject.

I knight thee Sir OPIE :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Uncle Ben
05-31-2009, 09:14 PM
I knight thee Sir OPIE :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Done! ;):cheers:

Rogue Leader
06-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Well came originally from a Jeff Foxworthy joke about drive-bys in his time mooning people. So the first time I had the top off of my cruiser we did drive-bys with Star Wars nicknames. I was Rogue Leader my Co-Pilot was Chewbacca, Han and Luke were the gunners in the rear. So it kinds stuck.

subzali
06-03-2009, 04:32 PM

:thumb: - A nickname that was earned for sure :D

And if I remember right I got that nickname because last year I spent basically the whole summer driving around picking up parts and being early on the boards to find good deals (or at least cheap deals - some of them weren't so good). It seemed like there were lots of parts going up for sale and I was always in need and always early to swipe them up. I also put 22,000 miles on my truck that year BTW.

And I had to watch a season of M*A*S*H just to understand the reference. I don't sleep with a teddy bear though...;)

Uncle Ben
06-03-2009, 05:21 PM
And if I remember right I got that nickname because last year I spent basically the whole summer driving around picking up parts and being early on the boards to find good deals (or at least cheap deals - some of them weren't so good). It seemed like there were lots of parts going up for sale and I was always in need and always early to swipe them up. I also put 22,000 miles on my truck that year BTW.

And I had to watch a season of M*A*S*H just to understand the reference. I don't sleep with a teddy bear though...;)

Yup......came from acquiring parts to build a Cruiser 1 part at at time if I remember correctly. Radar was one of the coolest characters on MASH....you should feel honored! (that you built your Cruiser not that your cool) ;) :p:

subzali
06-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Ah yes that was a critical piece that made the connection - it wasn't "hearing the helicopters" as much as building the Cruiser piece by piece!

corsair23
06-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Ah yes that was a critical piece that made the connection - it wasn't "hearing the helicopters" as much as building the Cruiser piece by piece!

That and your youth and innoncence helped seal the deal to earn you the nickname :thumb:...We obviously need to get you a teddy bear though :hill:

subzali
06-03-2009, 05:57 PM
and I need to hang a cowbell from my front bumper - I can't remember why anymore but someone told me I needed to do it on a run sometime. :hill:

nuclearlemon
06-03-2009, 06:49 PM
and I need to hang a cowbell from my front bumper - I can't remember why anymore but someone told me I needed to do it on a run sometime. :hill:

because we need more cowbell:lmao:

RockRunner
06-04-2009, 09:04 AM
RockRunner= Running on the rocks. Which loosely translates to Playing on and in the Rocks :thumb:

DaveInDenver
06-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Yeah.

LARGEONE
06-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Paul Larger

In all my years of athletics, my nickname on teams was always LARGE ONE.

If I'm around a completely new group of people, it never fails that within a couple of weeks, they are all calling me LARGE ONE. So, I figured it was probably a fitting nickname and instead of fighting it, I have now embraced it.

Old40Dog
11-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Just an Old Dog with a couple of 40's.

Almost bought my first 40 in '81, but got a "practical" 4 door sedan instead. An '81 Cressida that I ended up driving 10 years - 417K miles before giving it up (actually it gave up:drool:).

In '90 I bought my '72 40 and drove it for about 6 years before tearing it down to do a complete rebuild. Still working on it and got the itch to get another 40 to drive 'til the '72 was done. :blah::blah:

Found the '69 40 in May '08 and did our first CM in 2009.:thumb:

Think my lovely wife will bury me...:rip:...in the 40 when the time comes. In the mean time, have another :beer:

TIMZTOY
11-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Tim Prewitt

And I've always loved Toyota trucked ever since I was about 10 had a pasion for them. But unfortunally couldn't afford one till I was 22 ( they just hold there value more than other cars and trucks do ) and Ive always likes how using the z instead of 's looks

Tim's Toyota = TIMZTOY

pramjockey
11-07-2009, 12:03 PM
My first real career was working as a paramedic. In Colorado, the ambulance crews call the gurney a "pram." So, I was a pram-jockey. I started using it back in 96 or so, and even though I've left EMS, I've always liked the nickname.

Telly
11-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Telly was a nickname my college roommates came up with. Telly Savalas from the Kojak TV series. He is bald and so am I.

DaveInDenver
11-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Who loves ya, baby?

Rotorgeek
11-08-2009, 12:28 PM
I have been a big fan of helicopters since i was a kid, so when someone found this toy person with helicopter blades on his back she got it for me. She said I knew way to much about them even tho I don't fly them, and some how Rotorgeek came out.

SRT08BUS
11-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Most people say the license plate fits me better than my rig, but I wanted it be SHRTBUS, I need to read be for I type, I picked SRT08BUS because of my lic. plate and it was the first 08 sold in Colorado.

RedCreeper
11-21-2009, 11:28 PM
I guess mine is a bit confusing since i drive a White FJ. I was looking for a CB handle and Canonball from when I was a kid just did not fit. My name came about because my first 4x4 was a Red CJ7. With 4:11 gears and a T18 Granny I would get out and walk it down the block in my neithborhood in first gear. I lived in VA also where going slow was even more taboo. The lower the gear the better idea was just starting to sink in on the east coast. It creeped over everything. My uncles Jeep was red also so it is a family color of sorts. No matter the event i was at they new my Jeep. Man i miss it. The new improved version i think will be a Orange color so not sure how to work that one but it will be a creeper with a 203 to 205 doubler and the T18 granny with 4:56 gears.

Blackdiamond72
11-22-2009, 06:06 PM
I used to rock climb all the time when I lived in Upstate NY and the majority of my gear came from a company called "Black Diamond". I first used the name on a climbing thread through EMS "Eastern Mountain Sports" and it has stuck since.

The 72 was my car number when I ran quarter midgets, mini sprints, dirt modifieds, and super modifieds. I ran two cars when running mini sprints so I had a 72 and 72A. Never used Blackdiamond72A for anything though.

Bobzooki
11-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Being a poet, who works principally with Haiku, my screen name is obvious, isn't it?

Oh, wait...

You see, my name is Larry, and I drive a Subaru...no, that's not going to work...

Big
Old
Bob
Zero
Omnibus
Outward
Kingfisher
Igneous

Well, nobody's going to buy that one, either...

Basically
Old
Bob
Zips
Over
Obstacles
Killing
Idleness

Yeah, that's it. :rolleyes:

jacdaw
11-23-2009, 12:08 PM
I never would have guessed haiku. I was thinking you played octave mandolin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_bouzouki) in a Greek or Irish trad band.

Being a poet, who works principally with Haiku, my screen name is obvious, isn't it?<snip>Yeah, that's it. :rolleyes:

Bobzooki
11-23-2009, 12:29 PM
I never would have guessed haiku. I was thinking you played octave mandolin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_bouzouki) in a Greek or Irish trad band.

Well, that's just because of my Celtic influence...

Who is Bobzooki?
Crawling metal on slickrock
Summer arachnid

Rezarf
05-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Wow, last post was from Bob...

Lets here from the new (since 2009) guys and gals...

mukker4life
05-23-2013, 07:46 PM
mukker-4-life

A (Mucker) is a term used for a firefighter on the Denver Fire Department.

Not really sure why I misspelled it?

I have since promoted to Lieutenant but I am sticking with the handle.

Mukker4life. :beer:

baja1d
05-24-2013, 07:49 AM
baja1d- the road on the baja peninsula that connects San Diego to Cabo San Lucas. In high school we'd take many surf trips down this road.

Firetacoma
05-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Firefighter, Tacoma driver.

I have also gone by firemantaco around the internets if this name was taken.

But one of these two names have been with me since I started visiting forums in 2000.

MTSN
05-24-2013, 09:15 AM
One of my close friends told me when she could always rely on me to be there as she was going through some rough times. She was an acrobat and did wire stuff, and she told me once I was just like her personal safety net. So, MTSN - Matt the safety net. Kinda cheesy I know! :D

80Series
05-24-2013, 10:04 AM
I am not very good when it comes to creativity, especially when it comes to names. So I went with the name that made the most sense at the time since I had a 97 LC. Now that I explain I see how boring it is :)

smslavin
05-24-2013, 10:40 AM
baja1d- the road on the baja peninsula that connects San Diego to Cabo San Lucas. In high school we'd take many surf trips down this road.

:thumb:

same here however, i preferred the gulf side. spent huge amounts of time camping at gonazaga bay and free diving with the whale sharks. such an amazing place once you get away from the border areas.

Dirt Claude
05-24-2013, 11:14 AM
I once owned a poop brown FJ60. I had a few other names came to mind at first, but ended up with Dirt Claude.

I'm probably due for a name change since that rig is long gone, just haven't found the right one yet.

DenCo40
05-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Denco40...
"Den"ver- where I live
"Co"lorado- State in which I reside
40- as in FJ40

Years ago in the forums I was Denvertaco. Back in the day when I built Tacomas.

coloradobound
05-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Coloradobound. I was going to be bound for Colorado first chance I got when living back east.

Fishy
05-24-2013, 05:20 PM
What a great thread...... Fishy is pretty basic. I've fished most of my life. Had the nickname "kingfish" for a long time, still gets used pretty often and probably should have been my forum name all along. I used "paflytyer" on MUD because I was living in Pennsylvania and tying flys (fly fishing) for a number of guides/friends. PA = Pennsylvania Fly Tyer. Kingfish was already taken on MUD, so I needed something else. Once we moved here to Colorado, paflytyer just didn't fit the bill......

I'm one of the few on here who has different RS/mud names.

bigcity25
05-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Bigcity25,

25, I guess is my favorite number or something like that. I got the name big-city from my fire academy. I was 22 and just moved here from Iowa. Some of the guys in my class started to call me big city, since this was my first time out of Iowa. I've kept it since 2002. It's kind of grown on me.

Sleepy
05-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Once upon a time, there were these seven dwarves. One of the dwarves seemed tired all of the time from narcoleppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
ppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
ppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Rezarf
05-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Bigcity25,

25, I guess is my favorite number or something like that. I got the name big-city from my fire academy. I was 22 and just moved here from Iowa. Some of the guys in my class started to call me big city, since this was my first time out of Iowa. I've kept it since 2002. It's kind of grown on me.

Where in Iowa?

jps8460
05-26-2013, 12:58 AM
My first and last initials ans possessive. I have a 1984 fj60....jps8460

MisledYouth
05-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Mine was the title of an old Zero skateboarding video. I've pretty much used it since high school.

bigcity25
05-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Where in Iowa?

Council Bluffs, across the river from Omaha

jps8460
05-26-2013, 10:26 PM
gettin lucky in couciltucky! I can say that because I too use to live there. :)

bigcity25
05-27-2013, 12:50 AM
gettin lucky in couciltucky! I can say that because I too use to live there. :)

Nice! Haven't heard that in a while

mozes
05-27-2013, 07:54 AM
Mine is from my early wheeling days.

I used to wheel Isuzus ( when i couldnt afford a Cruiser).

One time i was watching the big boys do tank traps and decided id try it. After making it through three or four times, i heard my friends chanting "moses". They said it looked like my little trooper was parting the sea. It was a miracle i made it through :). i changed the first s to a z (cause a drove an isuZu). its stuck ever since.....

Steve
05-27-2013, 08:09 AM
I don't know what it means but, my mom and dad gave it to me 53 years ago and it kind of stuck!

timmbuck2
05-30-2013, 04:26 PM
In high school and college sports, the coach always called me Buck. My first email address on Netcom was tbuck (which a lot of hockey teammates still call me) and when I finally switched from Netcom I thought timmbuck2 was cool. :) Kind of short hand for Timm Buchanan.....

kurtnkegger
05-30-2013, 08:58 PM
In high school and college sports, the coach always called me Buck. My first email address on Netcom was tbuck (which a lot of hockey teammates still call me) and when I finally switched from Netcom I thought timmbuck2 was cool. :) Kind of short hand for Timm Buchanan.....

That's funny, I always thought of this joke when I saw your screen name....:lmao:

At the finals of the National Poetry Competition the two finalist were an
unlikely pair. Finalist number one was a Harvard educated professor of
literature and the winner of several previous competitions. Finalist number two
was a young Marine Lcpl. from the hills of West Virginia who needed help filling
out the entry form.
The final round consisted of each competitor being given the same word and
having thirty seconds to complete a verse, using the word.
The Professor went first. The Judge said, " The final word this year is
'Timbuktu'" The Prof. started thinking. Ten seconds went by. Twenty seconds.
The crowd became nervous. After twenty eight seconds the Prof. began,
"Across the hot Sahara sand,
Trekked the dusty caravan.
Men on camels, two by two,
Destination- Timbuktu."
The crowd went wild, there was no way that the Hillbilly Marine would ever top
that.
The Lcpl. was brought on stage. The judge gave the word, "Timbuktu."
The young Lcpl. looked to the sky, he thought for 10-15 seconds, stepped up to
the microphone, cleared his throat, and began,
"Tim 'en me, a-hunting went,
Met three girls in a pop-up-tent,
They was three and we was two,
So, I bucked one and Tim Buck Two!"

Three Wheel Ben
06-02-2013, 11:11 AM
Figured I'd better make a guest appearance, haven't posted in a while.

Started as Lexusben. Only thing I could come up with quickly on another board because I was trying to buy some wheel spacers. Not creative but stuck, Lexus-because I was working at Kuni and Ben cause that's me.

So once I left Lexus, the group felt I needed a new name. I think Convert and BVB originally came up with Three Wheel Ben, citing that I was never on all 4 wheels at the same time. :D

Caribou Sandstorm
06-02-2013, 01:08 PM

Started as Lexusben. Only thing I could come up with quickly on another board because I was trying to buy some wheel spacers. Not creative but stuck, Lexus-because I was working at Kuni and Ben cause that's me.

So once I left Lexus, the group felt I needed a new name. I think Convert and BVB originally came up with Three Wheel Ben, citing that I was never on all 4 wheels at the same time. :D

Yo, hey Ben hope all is well..

My screen name is because I saw a rare Caribou citing on the Kokopelli with Convert, Robbie and BVB... I think BVB almost crashed his rig when I radioed that a bunch of Caribou were on the side of the trail.... Then like Caribou do, they disappeared into the prairie...:D

Sandstorm is from my 08 Sandstorm colored FJC!!!

euroford
06-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Image attached, this one wasn't mine but is almost identical in appearance. its a Ford Sierra Cosworth, the US market Merkur XR4Ti was based on the same platform but had a ton of major differences.

My first car at 17 was an XR, I had it for several years and then bought a nicer XR that I did a lot awesome performance work on, then I bought a german market (LHD) Sierra Cosworth that i imported and ultimately did a LOT of stuff with basically turning it into a (kind of) streetable track car.

I sold it many years ago when i moved from Dallas to Chicago and she now resides with one of my good friends in Arlington TX. We would love to buy it back and Robbie would dang near just give it back to us, but have not done so as I don't think we could even come close to getting a thumbs up at the darn air care station.

along with the ones mentioned, i've owned 12 other XR's on a short term basis and invested over 10 years of my life obsessed with euro fords, so the name stuck.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2yxq45t.jpg

blkprj80
06-03-2013, 09:42 PM
blkprj80 = Black Project: 80

Black Project - Theoretically something where a bunch of money gets spent and there isn't any record of where it went. Yep, got that part covered! :rolleyes:

I actually do have receipts for most of it, but I don't want to add it all up!

I've owned her for about a year now...

Hulk
06-03-2013, 10:39 PM
blkprj80 = Black Project: 80

Black Project - Theoretically something where a bunch of money gets spent and there isn't any record of where it went. Yep, got that part covered! :rolleyes:

Wow, the "after" photo looks great! :thumb:

Uncle Ben
06-03-2013, 11:28 PM

More like 1 wheel short of a full set!:lmao::lmao: Miss you amigo! We need more muddy water in our windows!

Titan
06-05-2013, 06:32 AM
My Marine Construction company name..Titan Construction Group LLC..easy to remember..i think