PDA

View Full Version : Tundra knowledge?

subzali
05-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Anybody know anything about 2000-2002 Tundras? Any common problems? I know the 4.7L has a timing belt that needs to be changed every 90,000 miles, but wondered if there was anything else...

What factory warranty was on that vehicle? 60,000 miles?

Does the TRD package automatically have the limited slip rear or is that an extra extra add-on?

rover67
05-26-2009, 06:09 PM
I had a 2000 Tundra for 125,000 miles and loved it. I bought it new.

There were a few TSB's on it that included the center console (rattled a lot, but not enough for me to get it "fixed") and the front brakes. The front brakes were not upgraded on mine since when they issued the TSB it was too late for me. I think the TSB uses the 2003 brakes. I put good Brembo rotors on it from Tire Rack ( who knows if they were actually an upgrade) with stock pads and it worked fine for me.

Other than that I loved it. A lot. And I hammered on it. The limited slip was cool for the first 25,000 miles I had it, then it kinda wore out. I installed it at about 60k. If I had a choice I would have done something else, it was not worth it in my opinion. It did make th etruck easy to do big power oversteer slides though. I don't know if it was an automatic add on for the TRD model. The Limited slip rear should have a sticker on it saying to use specific fluid.. if it is still on there.

A lot of people on th e"boards" complained about a driveline "clunk" which mine had, but never really amounted to anything. Also, the trannys in some had a weird slip, then bang into gear thing.. which mine had also, but not enough for me to worry about. It always ran fine, and like I said I drove it HARD.

Other than that I guess I liked the bench seat.. not the captains chairs.. but that's just me again.

Corbet
05-26-2009, 07:02 PM
There is a ball joint recall on some 1st generation Tundra's but I don't know the specific years or if its all of them.

We sell lots of them used here in Durango and majority we see are all in good running order when traded or purchased at auction.

Original warranty is 3/36 bumper and 5/60 powertrain. If you find a certified preowned it will come with 7/100 powertrain.

I like the bench too but thats pretty rare.

subzali
05-28-2009, 07:14 AM
heard about some rear axle leaking problems and O2 sensor problems? Not sure if that was common?

powderpig
05-28-2009, 07:24 AM
I would pop Bill Van Beek a pm or Three wheel Ben. That way nothing is on a public forum. They would have some good info for sure.
I believe they are a good solid vehicle, but like all mass produced vehicles. Issues do show up. It is how the OEM take care of the problems.
Of course I would not buy a car or truck Marco has owned. He has some funny stories about how he treats stuff.

rover67
05-28-2009, 07:34 AM
Hey! :) I just "test" them thoroughly!

(they hold up VERY well in rollovers too BTW..)

Corbet
05-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Matt, we have an 06 with the bench option if your interested

subzali
05-28-2009, 10:06 PM
see sig ;)