PDA

View Full Version : Raffle Truck committee info

El Jefe
03-19-2006, 09:54 PM
We held our initial Raffle committee yesterday at green machine's shop. Below are the bullet items from the meeting...

1. We've decided to look for an FJ60/62. These are easier to find and cheaper than Runners. Basically, we'd like to get a totally stock truck. Modifications bring question marks to us: who did the work? was it performed correctly? will we find a spaghetti bowl full of yellow wires behind the dash?
2. The plan is to mildly build the truck. Three inches or so of lift. A Detroit locker in the rear, open in front. 33's and new wheels. CB and Stereo. Knuckle and TRE rebuild, replace as needed. Body work and paint. New roof rack, sliders, front bumper. Storage bins in the back. Regear it to 4.10's. We want it to be a functional, family wagon, not a crawler.
3. We estimate that aside from the body work and paint, and engine repairs, we can do the upgrades in about 60 man hours. This would basically amount to one work day a month through the end of the year. We will have sign up sheets at the club meetings, and would like at least four members to commit to each work weekend.
4. The truck will be stored at Ige's unless we need to move it somewhere else to work on it. Air and 220V are available there.
5. Once we start actively looking for trucks, we will most likely ask in Chit Chat for volunteers to look at them for the committee. We also ask that club members DO NOT BUY THOSE TRUCKS unless we give the OK first. No sniping! We lost out on a potential FJ62 earlier this month, and don't want that to happen again. If the committee passes on the truck, it's fair game. Our plan is to have the truck no later than 31 May.
6. We plan to do the work in six stages:
Tune up/emissions: fluids, filters, lube, TRE
Lift: springs, shackles, shocks
Locker
Winch, front bumper
Wheels/tires, rack, kid seats, dog guard, sliders, CB/stereo
Body work/paint

One potential work area we didn't put on the list yesterday is engine work. Hopefully, we can find a truck that doesn't need any, but the committee will discuss this shortly. So, we could have seven stages, depending on the truck.

We expect to keep the paint the same color, just a fresh coat. If we complete one bullet item per month, we should be ready for body work and paint by December...which is good. We'd like to find a truck that needs minimal body work...you know, the truck that was only driven to church on Sundays by a kind and gentle grandmother.

I can't stess enough the need for volunteers to help out with the work on this truck. If you say you'll help out on a particular weekend, follow through. I know that things come up, and that's fine. But please try to honor your committment.

If you'd like to participate in the committee, please send me a PM, and I'll add you to the list. So far, I have the following people on the committee:Ige (nuclearlemon), John Henley (green machine), Ian Bevan (IanB), Kevin Ehrlick (Uncle Ben), Ron Helmuth (same), and me, Chris Colangelo (El Jefe). Feel free to PM any of us if you have questions or need info on the project.

I've asked Wes to lock down the Raffle forum. This will allow us to talk on the forum outside the normal forum items. Once again, PM us if needed.

Oh yeah, since Ige volunteered me, I'm the committee chairman...

Thx!
Chris

bh4rnnr
03-20-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks a lot Chris, hopefully we can get this nailed down. I'll help out as much as I can this year. :beer:

wesintl
03-20-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm really excited about the build too. I can help out where ever needed.

mhdsummers
03-22-2006, 03:34 PM
This 62 has a blown head. Maybe too much work but the price is right.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/139878962.html

El Jefe
03-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look when I get home...craigslist is blocked at work.

Chris

El Jefe
03-22-2006, 10:15 PM
The committee appreciates any and all leads on trucks the members may find. However, please send links/info via PM to me and any of the other commitee members, and we'll check them out. Hopefully, not posting on the public forums will help prevent someone from buying one we are considering. BTW, we're going to pass on the one linked above...too much work, and too many parts potentially missing. Have at it!

Committee members (so far):
green machine
Uncle Ben
IanB
nuclearlemon
Ron Helmuth
Hulk
El Jefe (me)

Thx!
Chris

treerootCO
03-22-2006, 10:47 PM
My dad wanted me to let you know he is willing to help out on the truck.
I'll help out as well. Both of us can turn wrenches.

El Jefe
03-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks, Mike...I'm sure we'll put both of you to work!

Chris