PDA

View Full Version : FZJ80 High Output Alternator

Inukshuk
05-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Has anyone here done a High Output Alternator in their FZJ80? My 93 alt is giving it up after 205,000 good miles and I'm thinking if its reasonable to do, of going with something bigger due to aux lights, radio amps, compressor and fridge. Dual battery setup is in my future. I read a bit on MUD about a bracket to use a Tundra alt, but have not studied the thread.

Thanks!

Hants
05-29-2009, 08:11 AM
I haven't completed the install, but I have all the stuff for the 160A Tundra alternator.

Note that to do the upgrade right, you need to upgrade the wiring a bit. More specifically, you should, at a minimum, upgrade the hot wire from the alternator to the battery (and fuse it properly), and the primary ground from the engine. There are notes in the thread about both of these.

Inukshuk
06-04-2009, 01:55 PM
I decided to stick with a Toyota remanufactured alternator at around $200. But I thought I would share the below information which just arrived by e-mail:

Application: Import Vehicles with Nippendenso Case (Vehicle Specific)
HO Part #: Small Case Denso Style
H.O. Power Rating: 170 Amps
YOUR COST $649.00 + Shipping (See Below for Freight Costs)

170 Amp Alternator Part # Small Denso http://www.highoutputalternator.com/PDF/Web%20PDFs%20-%20Denso.pdf

Our alternator will directly replace the stock alternator, and interface directly to your car’s computer. No need for brackets or modifying your wire harness.
You MUST install an additional Output and Ground wire from the alternator to the battery. We recommend a 4 Gauge MINIMUM.

Fed Ex Ground........................................$25
Fed Ex Second Day.................................$45
Fed Ex Overnight US...............................$75.00 to $125.00 (Depending on Location)
HO alternators are custom built to work with your vehicle’s computer and existing brackets.
Please anticipate a three week delivery time due to our current backlog of orders.
Give me a call and I will be glad to complete your order personally.
We Currently Accept all major credit cards !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phillip Potter
H.O. Alternators

Corbet
06-04-2009, 07:15 PM
$675 shipped is a little rich but direct replacement is nice.

I got the Tundra alt brackets off MUD a while back but haven't purchased a new alt yet. But I should be able to install a 130 amp for under $300 when its all said and done.

Hants
06-04-2009, 08:49 PM
I got the 150/160A version for about $75 from a junkyard, including shipping. Has about 30K miles on it.

Corbet
06-04-2009, 09:18 PM
I got the 150/160A version for about $75 from a junkyard, including shipping. Has about 30K miles on it.

OK, under $200 then, even better.;)

Hants
06-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Took a little leg-work to find it. There's a site on the internet you can use to see availability & condition. I didn't find *any* that would reply to email. I ended up setting a condition-level, sorting by increasing price, then calling each until one answered that had it.