PDA

View Full Version : New Item in Sig Line...

subzali
05-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Picked it up tonight...loving it so far :D

I have to be careful about hammering the throttle down though :eek:

theboomboom
05-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Ha that's awesome man! Congratulations!

MDH33
05-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Wow, very nice. :thumb: :cool: :grinpimp:

But does this mean you'll be trailering your 40 to the trails now? :p:

Uncle Ben
05-28-2009, 11:07 PM
sweet! :thumb::thumb:

AxleIke
05-28-2009, 11:33 PM
NIce!

Hulk
05-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Wow, sweet ride! Good job establishing your fleet while you're still single. :D

EWheeler
05-28-2009, 11:51 PM
I wish I had #4 in your sig line! Nice looking Tundra. My roomate has one and I love that truck. Pulled trailer and his Jeep over Vail pass without any problems. My S-10 has issues making it up unloaded :mad:

ttubb
05-28-2009, 11:58 PM
I had a Tundra a few years back. Great truck, very reliable and good road traveller. Every guy needs a truck....T :thumb:

subzali
05-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks everybody! Jacki was involved with this purchase; she understands everything that has gone into it and how long I've been thinking about it. It is OUR truck, or will be soon enough to be thinking about it that way.

I love this truck so far. I just spent the last couple hours going over the service records and original dealership paperwork; the longest owner did a good job of keeping the records. The first owner only had it for 2 1/2 years and doesn't appear to have done anything to it, except put 35,000 miles on it :(. The second owner had it for 6 years and averaged about 8,000 miles a year on it. Added new tires and aftermarket wheels (no records of the wheels, but the tires are Wal Mart specials :rolleyes:), a $1400 sunroof :eek:, Line-X'd the bed, dual exhaust (pretty loud, might have to tone it down a bit...nah ;) ) and took it to Toy Car Care for most of his service work. He had the rotors and drums turned and then has replaced the rotors. I have records of all the factory services up to 45,000 miles plus a record of the 60,000 mile service at Toy Car Care. The third owner, the one I bought it from, has only had it for a month and a half because of a poor timing execution with his vehicle montage. This truck was bought from John Elway Toyota and has gone from Berthoud, CO to Parker, CO to me.

Next up is the 90,000 service, which is tranny flush, all box fluids changed, oil change, timing belt, and some other things. There were notes on the maintenance records that said the shocks were leaking; there is no record that they've been replaced but no big deal really.

After the 90,000 I'm looking into getting a ARB Sahara Bar (http://arbusa.com/Products/Bull-Bars-Bumpers-And-Tire-Carriers/Bull-Bar-Bumper-Product-Images/Bull-Bar-Bumper-Product-Images--Toyota/94.aspx) (Click on the white Tundra - it's the only bar ARB makes for this truck) because I have incident history with two deer and would like to keep them off the hood of this truck if possible.

What I still don't know for certain is whether it has the Limited Slip Rear end or not. It's a Limited TRD Off Road, does anybody know?

The more I'm looking into it the happier I am about the purchase, considering I started looking at the market for these trucks this past Sunday evening. Once I drove it I knew this was the type of truck I wanted. It just felt right, whereas when I sat in the Fords and Chevys they just didn't feel quite right, there was something missing. I think it's the simplicity and logic behind the controls and where everything is located, it just makes sense in a Toyota. And the feel of the truck is great so far, I'm pretty sure it's a keeper.

And you're right Terry, after all the talk in my other thread I decided that I needed a truck. Nothing else would substitute.

ElliottB
05-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Wow, sweet ride! Good job establishing your fleet while you're still single. :D

If he's anything like me, he's probably too broke to not be single. I can barely afford rebuilding my rig, let alone taking a girl out on dates and stuff.

corsair23
05-29-2009, 03:48 AM
:drool:

Nice color :thumb:

Corbet
05-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Matt, PM me the VIN and I can get a print out of the original window sticker. That should answer your LSD question.

RicardoJM
05-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Way cool Matt. Great timing on the purchase, you and Jacki can really get it out there this summer.

rover67
05-29-2009, 08:34 AM
My shocks in the tundra wore out at 60k.. but they were cheap to replace.

you'll love your new rig!!!

Jacket
05-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Sweet! Love the dual pipes man!

A lot of times an LSD rear will have a sticker or stamp on it to remind the servicing person to use an LSD additive when changing the oil. That could be one thing to look for.

Edit: There's a local guy named Sean (devinsixtyseven) that has a 2000 Tundra that he's modified pretty dramatically for off-road, and I also think he's a moderator on one of the big Tundra forums. Not sure if he posts here, but he's active on ExPo and TTORA and is an encyclopedia of good information about Tundras. Really nice and helpful guy if you ever need it.

Air Randy
05-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Why dont you just put a floor jack under the diff and raise the rear axle off of the ground, then spin a wheel. If the other side spins the same direction you have an LSD. If it doesnt move or spins the opposite direction you have an open diff.

PabloCruise
05-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Wow, very nice. :thumb: :cool: :grinpimp:

But does this mean you'll be trailering your 40 to the trails now? :p:

Yes, now that it has power steering!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

leiniesred
05-29-2009, 11:58 AM
I dig it! tow the 40 to Moab, haul home improvement stuff, pickup people at the airport. Nice!

subzali
05-29-2009, 08:29 PM
I dig it! tow the 40 to Moab, haul home improvement stuff, pickup people at the airport. Nice!

Exactly. :cool:

Corbet informed me that from the factory it had an open diff (I don't have a floor jack handy and haven't had time yet anyway to check it for sure). Oh well, that's what Eaton is in business for :grinpimp:

Still happy (extremely :D) with it so far, but it was over $50 to fill it up today :eek: (a little over 21 gallons), but I knew that (14-17 mpg) going into it so I just have to change some things around to accommodate that. Maybe I'll still drive the red truck back and forth to work to get better fuel economy, at least until I can buy a Civic or something. We'll see.

DaveInDenver
05-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Sweet! Love the dual pipes man!

A lot of times an LSD rear will have a sticker or stamp on it to remind the servicing person to use an LSD additive when changing the oil. That could be one thing to look for.

Edit: There's a local guy named Sean (devinsixtyseven) that has a 2000 Tundra that he's modified pretty dramatically for off-road, and I also think he's a moderator on one of the big Tundra forums. Not sure if he posts here, but he's active on ExPo and TTORA and is an encyclopedia of good information about Tundras. Really nice and helpful guy if you ever need it.
Devin's got a 1st gen like this, too. So he would certainly be a great resource for questions. His is fairly modified and he did not have LSD AFAIK (I think Air Lockers are either in that sweet Diamond axle or were on the way).

A couple of things I know about them. First, the exhaust manifolds seem to be cracked on every one owned by a friend of mine. But they uniformly all have way more miles than yours. Also the 2000 and 2001 might have the same frame rot issues as the Tacoma from that era, so you might keep an eye out for that. Otherwise, they are just another Toyota truck, they just work and go pretty much with minimal drama.

farnhamstj
05-29-2009, 10:15 PM
congrats.

Rezarf
05-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Looks KILLER Matt!

Congrats, I bet you'll just love it. I have been looking at ARB's for our Sequoia for the same reason... but it looks like a modded Tundra would be the closest fit. Too much $ just to chop it up. I may have to dust off the welder and get after it.

Drew

subzali
05-30-2009, 08:36 AM
the previous owner did replace the driver side exhaust manifold once and after turning both the rotors and the drums replaced the rotors once already as well.

Another question is whether the rear brakes are adjusted through normal driving (like braking in reverse like a GM vehicle) or if I need to be using the emergency brake periodically to keep them in adjustment. It was just another thought I had...

DaveInDenver
05-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Another question is whether the rear brakes are adjusted through normal driving (like braking in reverse like a GM vehicle) or if I need to be using the emergency brake periodically to keep them in adjustment. It was just another thought I had...
I'd expect that they are self adjusting, like your pickup.

Beater
05-30-2009, 10:31 AM
trd on tundra is just suspension, no rear locker or lsd. sorry man

subzali
05-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Extremely happy with it so far! Today went and climbed Shavano - was perfect to get to the trailhead (high clearance, 4x4 if needed, plenty of power and comfort). Got 17.2 mpg, so I think I'm set! Just have to do the 90,000 mile service and then it'll be good to go!

Beater
06-01-2009, 09:16 AM
I find that I can go most places that i'd want to in my t100 (same body basically) and I can certainally would love to have the grunt of the v8. having rear doors would be a plus as well.

subzali
06-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Yep, I think it's funny that my daily driver has bigger tires (285/75R16) than my trail truck (31 x 10.50) :hill:

The PO also replaced the crankshaft position sensor too.

One of the reasons I shyed away from a Tacoma or T100 is because I've seen them on the trail (probably mostly because of this club ;)) and I would be tempted to do the same and take it on tougher trails as well. This is borderline, because I have seen a Tundra on trails too (Coney Flats), but it is much less common. I would like to keep this a nice daily driver, drive up the fire roads to trailheads/remote campgrounds type truck, not a dual-purpose hardcore wheeler/daily driver. I have the 40 to beat up on trails.

Beater
06-01-2009, 11:27 AM
exactly

Yep, I think it's funny that my daily driver has bigger tires (285/75R16) than my trail truck (31 x 10.50) :hill:

The PO also replaced the crankshaft position sensor too.

One of the reasons I shyed away from a Tacoma or T100 is because I've seen them on the trail (probably mostly because of this club ;)) and I would be tempted to do the same and take it on tougher trails as well. This is borderline, because I have seen a Tundra on trails too (Coney Flats), but it is much less common. I would like to keep this a nice daily driver, drive up the fire roads to trailheads/remote campgrounds type truck, not a dual-purpose hardcore wheeler/daily driver. I have the 40 to beat up on trails.

subzali
06-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Got a couple things I'm learning: there's a couple Tundra forums out there, but they're mostly for the current generation trucks - and boy are those boys PROUD of their trucks! To me it's still a small block v8 1/2 ton pickup - it gets the job done but jeez...

Anyway most of their articles and info are about bling and how to keep oil from dripping when they do their oil change :rolleyes:

So I cruised over to Expedition Portal because I'm interested in my newfound options for camping/backcountry travel. It appears (and maybe Jacket or others who frequent those forums) that the Tundras aren't all that popular of a choice for expedition-type travel, though there are some out there.

Anyway, so here's where I'm at: I've got this truck without a topper. I'm getting married in September and we are going to be going camping to mild offroad destinations like Baldwin Lakes, Browns Lakes, Cedar Mesa, etc. I'm sure the :princess: would not mind getting up out of the dirt while we're out there, and it would be nice to have a way to stand up and change clothes inside a tent or covering (I'm not the mega 12x12 WalMart tent kind of guy). I'm not sure we're ready for a camper trailer yet (don't have the money anyway for the one I would want) either.

SO - because I would like to get a topper for the truck, I was thinking that something like a Flip-pac (http://www.flippac.com/) would be just the thing. Trying to come up with some roof rack design for a RTT didn't seem smart to me, I like how quick and easy these are and my aunts and uncles who go backcountry exploring have used them and love them. You sleep above the cab of the truck, you can stand up in the bed portion if you're changing clothes or whatnot, and everything stays inside and high and dry.

I would also probably couple that idea with some kind of custom drawer system that would hold our cookware/kitchen so we could cook on the tailgate but then also stow away other important items that would be carried on a weekend "expedition" trip.

Thoughts? Recommendations? I guess I'm just talking out loud here, I should probably get back to work...

Jacket
06-09-2009, 02:23 PM
I love those Flippac's - really perfect for what you are describing. I'm sure Dave can tell you all about the Wildernest, and another great option is the Four Wheel Camper. KC has a great thread on ExPo about his FWC setup and travels in his T100:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1322

I haven't done enough research to detail the differences between Flippac and FWC, but both seem like great choices if you find one for a good price.

Not sure why the Tundra isn't a more popular expedition truck. I think the size and build are great for it - maybe it's an issue with limited aftermarket and international support for that setup? That being said, there was a group from Denver that just drove a Sequioa and a Tundra (trouble-free) around the world (70,000+ miles in 2 years), so it certainly can be done.

subzali
06-09-2009, 02:27 PM
probably also because of the 14-17 mpg V8 and no factory locking rear diff - but I saw a GMC Envoy or something on expedition portal so I guess anything is possible??

I am not familiar with Wildernests, are they wide enough to fit on a full width bed?

Rezarf
06-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Got a couple things I'm learning: there's a couple Tundra forums out there, but they're mostly for the current generation trucks - and boy are those boys PROUD of their trucks! To me it's still a small block v8 1/2 ton pickup - it gets the job done but jeez...

Anyway most of their articles and info are about bling and how to keep oil from dripping when they do their oil change :rolleyes:

So I cruised over to Expedition Portal because I'm interested in my newfound options for camping/backcountry travel. It appears (and maybe Jacket or others who frequent those forums) that the Tundras aren't all that popular of a choice for expedition-type travel, though there are some out there.

Anyway, so here's where I'm at: I've got this truck without a topper. I'm getting married in September and we are going to be going camping to mild offroad destinations like Baldwin Lakes, Browns Lakes, Cedar Mesa, etc. I'm sure the :princess: would not mind getting up out of the dirt while we're out there, and it would be nice to have a way to stand up and change clothes inside a tent or covering (I'm not the mega 12x12 WalMart tent kind of guy). I'm not sure we're ready for a camper trailer yet (don't have the money anyway for the one I would want) either.

SO - because I would like to get a topper for the truck, I was thinking that something like a Flip-pac ("http://www.flippac.com/) would be just the thing. Trying to come up with some roof rack design for a RTT didn't seem smart to me, I like how quick and easy these are and my aunts and uncles who go backcountry exploring have used them and love them. You sleep above the cab of the truck, you can stand up in the bed portion if you're changing clothes or whatnot, and everything stays inside and high and dry.

I would also probably couple that idea with some kind of custom drawer system that would hold our cookware/kitchen so we could cook on the tailgate but then also stow away other important items that would be carried on a weekend "expedition" trip.

Thoughts? Recommendations? I guess I'm just talking out loud here, I should probably get back to work...

If this is for your honey moon, splurge on a Pop up for the trip... don't want to use up all your off road points on week one bud. ;)

Rezarf
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
FWC is the best option for a full size. I have been all over them when designing my trailer, they are uber nice, and pretty light and very well thought out. They turn up on Craigslist every once in a while but you got to be ready to pull the trigger with cash in hand to get a good deal on one.

Driving our Sequoia around has really loosened my grip on the 40... I may be heading towards a 100 soon or a Tundra with a Slide in camper. Can you say, heated seats!? Man I am sucker for a little luxury

Rezarf
06-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Just found this one (http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1196551539.html) $350 bucks

and this one too (http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/rvs/1196613219.html) $2200 :thumb:

and a full size wildernest (http://boulder.craigslist.org/rvs/1202064617.html) :thumb:

subzali
06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Don't worry - we're going to Kauai for the honeymoon ;)

rover67
06-09-2009, 06:39 PM
You couldn't sit up in it, but when I spent a few months in my tundra heres what I did:

Step 1. Need a slick bed liner.
Step 2. Put a bunch of empty milk crates in the bed facing up (can leave open spots for "cubbies")
Step 3. take a sheet of ply wood, rip it down the middle long ways and add hinges.
Step 4. throw it on top of the milk crates and add a cheap foam mattress.
Step 5. throw a craigslist topper shell on it.

So, it's not super cool, but it'll hold all yer stuff and sleep two comortably. If you need to get to anything thats near the cab in the bed, just open one of the two sides of the sleeping panel. Leave the cooking stuff near the back and you can slide it out when you drop the tail gate. I kept all my cooking stuff back there along with my water. I even found a cooler that fit under the sleeping platform.

Worked for us for 3 months or so. The only thing that happened was the foam mat molded because it was so humid some of the places we went.

But, with bug netting and tinted windows on the topper you've got a pretty comfy rig... on the cheap.

subzali
06-21-2009, 11:30 PM
I'd expect that they are self adjusting, like your pickup.

I found out that the rear brakes are self-adjusting like Dave said, just like my pickup. The only difference is that I'm used to using the parking brake EVERY time I stop when driving a manual transmission and I'm not used to doing that with an automatic transmission. I guess I should be, so I'm trying to remember and I'm getting better at it. I think that's probably part of the reason the PO had both the rotors and drums turned and then replaced the rotors in the 40,000 miles he owned it, he probably wasn't using the parking brake either (he had to get his brakes adjusted pretty often according to the service records) and the rears got out of adjustment and the fronts were worked too hard. That and he had larger tires on it :rolleyes:

Tch2fly
06-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Saw on Sunday this at the Toyota meet in Castle Rock. SAS with 40" Baja Claws

Come on Matt you know you wanna;)