PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Camp sites

TIMZTOY
05-28-2009, 10:03 PM
hello all.

I Live in key west, FL. from missouri. and am wanting to move to the denver area.. next month i am planning on taking a 2 week vacation. and plan on spending 7-10 days in denver. i know that there are thousands of camp sights in the area. im looking for your personal favorites.. ill be using a tent.
need shower and restrooms on site.. other than facilitys im looking for rustick.
i also prefer on or near water.. lake or river. for canoeing (bringing own canoe)

Hulk
05-28-2009, 10:47 PM
First off, welcome to Colorado and the Rising Sun web site. A few things:

1. Exploring Denver and exploring Colorado are two way different things. Denver is the 25th biggest city in the U.S. You can camp nearby if you want to, but it's not going to be very rustic. My favorite campground that is reasonably close to the metro area is Golden Gate State Park (http://parks.state.co.us/Parks/goldengatecanyon). There are some campgrounds up near Evergreen that will be even closer to the Denver metro area, but I can't comment on these having never stayer there.

2. I grew up in Missouri, and like you, have a huge love of canoeing. But I must tell you, Colorado is not a "water" state. It's great for mountain climbing, camping, hiking, four wheeling, mountain biking, skiing, rock climbing, fishing, hunting, checking out old trains, ghost towns, and a ton of other stuff. There is also some decent white water rafting in May and June when the snow melt makes the rivers rise.

But you're not going to find anything like the Jacks Fork River in this state. I wouldn't haul your canoe here for a week's vacation. You'd have better luck with a kayak.

3. If don't care about checking out Denver, the rest of the state is an enormous playground. We could come up with hundreds of suggestions, from Salida to Ouray to Steamboat Springs.

rover67
05-29-2009, 07:32 AM
I agree on the canoe comment.. I am from the south where we did lots of flatwater canoeing and kayaking on the buffalo, eleven point, and mississippi rivers to the west, and tons of rivers in Tn. Here it's not the same... at least near denver. I might leave the canoe.

MDH33
05-29-2009, 07:35 AM
There's nothing rustic about campsites with showers and bathrooms. :p:

There might be a campground up near Dillon Reservoir that would at least have bathrooms. That would be one of the few places that you could paddle around as well.

Tch2fly
05-29-2009, 08:14 AM
I will echo what the others say about the canoe, it may not be worth the gas to haul it all that way. Unless you like, and are prepared for, whitewater best to forget the rivers. I mostly use my canoe for exercise or fishing in high country lakes. With most CO lakes you can stand on the shore and see the entire perimeter there is not much to "explore". The rest are huge reservoirs and you have to dodge waterskiers.

Unless you find a private campground it is hard to find rustic AND showers/restrooms. Honestly I would suggest using Colorado State Parks; they have great facilities and many, if not most, have showers. Several have lakes but most of those are not close to the metro area. Here is a link Colo State Parks (http://parks.state.co.us/) you can look at the map to find stuff close to Denver.

JadeRunner
05-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Yep, showers and restrooms on site cancels out most of my suggestions. But here is one. They rent canoe's. I sent one of girlfriends from Maui there a few years back and they liked it.
http://www.rainbowlakeresort.com/

Hulk
05-29-2009, 09:40 AM
http://www.rainbowlakeresort.com/

We drove right by that place on one of the ghost town runs a few years back. It looked nice.

gahi
05-29-2009, 09:55 AM
bring a bicycle, a large truck tube and a life jacket, and stay at the clear creek rv park in golden. You'll be minutes from denver, and be able to shoot right up into the mountains. Not rustic at all, but close to town. I imagine you'll be job hunting around Denver, so it might be a good base.

TIMZTOY
05-30-2009, 12:31 AM
your correct.. i'll be job hunting when on vacation.. also to set the record stright im not a die heart canoe'er. so im not at all focused on the canoe. it would be nice, but hell it's a caone! and im a woods men at heart.. and 2,223 miles is not worth it to haul a cheap canoe.. i'd much rather have a nice time camping in the woods sorunded my nature than row some fiberglass.. I perfer "rustic", but im married. so i need a toilet and shower.. I look foward to being a valued member to the club, as i am a expeianced mechanic.. as long as a toyota is being helped in its life as a valued member of "the family", i dont mind giving advice.. "knolage is power. if you can't share what you know with the world then your not helping".. I apolgize if im making no since.. but i live in a drinking town with a fishing problem...

TIMZTOY
05-30-2009, 12:44 AM
thankyou i find the colorado state park webisght very usfull.. but please dont stop sending your personal favorite locations..

farnhamstj
05-30-2009, 10:26 AM
I like to camp near Buean Vista/ Salida/ Taylor reservoir area. Also Rocky MN National Park is worth a visit. All are a couple hours out of Denver, but as others have said Denver is a big city. I suggest you stay away from the city and explore the mountains while your here. If you're currently in KW I imagine you'd enjoy living in any of our smaller mountain villages. Check out Winter park/Breckenridge/ Keystone/ Vail. Big cities are for people with a career, and as we all know a career is simply a job you've worked for far too long.

TIMZTOY
05-30-2009, 12:26 PM
good point ;):lmao:

breckenridge looks nice.. decent size from the looks of it on google earth

cbmontgo
05-30-2009, 05:26 PM
I just got back from Pike National Forest today; we camped there last night. It is not a bad place at all for being close to Denver. Miles and miles of trails, and some nice little hikes as well. Here are a few pics...

TIMZTOY
05-31-2009, 12:06 PM
nice.. any facilitys ?

DaveInDenver
05-31-2009, 12:12 PM
nice.. any facilitys ?
There are a few developed Forest Service campgrounds in the Pike/San Isabel NF. Actually, tons, depending on what district you want to hit.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/

cbmontgo
05-31-2009, 02:11 PM
I know that they had bathrooms in some areas, but I am not too sure about showers.

Mendocino
05-31-2009, 02:56 PM
...and as we all know a career is simply a job you've worked for far too long.

Far, your killin' me.:lmao:

I guess I need to change jobs.:D