PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Cozumel?

farnhamstj
05-29-2009, 09:30 PM
My Mother is turning 60 this fall. I'm trying to plan a warm beach vacation that is easy/quick to reach, reasonably priced, suitable for grandparents and grandchildren and can accommodate an uncertain number of people. I've been to the Bahama's, Jamaica, Cancun. I've never been to Cozumel. I've been searching through expedia, travelosity, apple vacations, and some others. Anyone got any advice, suggestions, recommendations?

Shark Bait
05-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Cozumel is nice. Small island. Great diving. Lots of cruise ships, though. If you are not diving, a better place might be south of Cancun in the "Riviera Maya"; places like Playa del Carmen, Tulum, etc. You could probably get some great deals right now. Tourism down there took a big hit with the swine flu scare. I'm sure A-1 Scuba & Travel Center could fix you up. 303-789-2450. www.a1scuba.com

60wag
05-30-2009, 11:29 AM
I did a family vacation to Cozumel a couple of years ago. We stayed at the El Cozumelano (sp?). It was a good trip and a decent place to stay. Its an all-inclusive plan. We had never done one of those before and wanted to try it. Having the food and drinks built into the plan makes it easy to lounge around with little planning, (although you have to get dinner reservations set up early in the day.) I kinda missed the adventure of wandering around an unfamiliar town looking for a fun restaurant.

We planned the trip without a rental car for a change, due to the all inclusive thing. After a few days at the resort I wanted the mobility of a car to be able to explore the island. We got a beat up Geo Tracker that was perfect for tooling around on unimproved roads.

The kids had fun at the swim-with-the-dolphins thing. I forget the name of the park but it had some good snorkeling. I also did a scuba dive off the beach. We stayed in shallow enough water that the full scuba cert was not necessary. I'd highely rec' it. Prior to the scuba we had spent several days snorkeling. After be stuck at the surface of the water it was a real treat to be able to hang out on the bottom for an extended period of time.

scope
05-31-2009, 08:32 AM
I have been to Cozumel twice. It's OK.

Best Mexican vacation I had was Isla de Mujeres. It is a smaller island north of Cozumel. You fly to Cancun, short cab ride to Puerto Juarez then ferry to Isla. Best beach I have ever seen. Everything you would want within walking distance, but a big enough island that you can rent scooters and go exploring for a day. It was awesome.

Hulk
05-31-2009, 08:12 PM
We went to Cozumel with the kids in December. It was only OK, mostly due to the place we stayed: the Wyndham Cozumel Resort. It was pretty beat up. Would have been great for a spring break quality vacation when I was in college, but now I expect a little more for my money.