PDA

View Full Version : Idea's on "De-Blinging" our gold emblems?

Rezarf
05-30-2009, 01:07 AM
I love our new Sequoia (new to us) but the gold emblems are just rubbing me the wrong way.

Talk me out of making a huge mistake or offer up some better advice, but I LOVE the black pearl emblems that Toyota had out for a while. However, they are rarer than Hens teeth. And if you do find them they are $$$$$$$$

What do you think of popping the emblems off and painting them up? A high quality paint... say, charcoal grey with a good UV stabilzer?

I can see it now... gold pushing through after a few years messing the whole thing up, but certainly there has to be a way to de-bling this thing! :D

Did I mention we are going to lift it 6" and cut the top off? Okay, not yet, we will start with the emblems.

I was wondering if Treeroot the master of all things pimped has any Japan connections with emblems?

Drew:thumb:

treerootCO
05-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Shave 'em! You can see in these photos the only change to the truck was to remove the bling gold emblems. ;) The truck looks completely different without them.

thefatkid
05-30-2009, 09:18 AM
For your Sequoia, you should be able to still get factory emblems in smoke. Also your Sequoia doesn't have the alignment holes like a 80, you just have to get all the tape off.

wesintl
05-30-2009, 09:33 AM
I need to debling my gold too. I'm just going to get the silver emblems.

farnhamstj
05-30-2009, 10:51 AM
The 100 owners use dental floss to get the emblems off.

Rezarf
05-30-2009, 12:38 PM
For your Sequoia, you should be able to still get factory emblems in smoke. Also your Sequoia doesn't have the alignment holes like a 80, you just have to get all the tape off.

Honestly, they are hard to track down, but even if you do they can run nearly 500 bucks to replace all of them :eek:

Mike, that looks nice with them all removed. Did you spot paint the truck or did you repaint your whole rig?

There are about 23 emblems on the rear tailgate alone! "Toyota" "I force V8" the "Sombrero" "limited" "4WheelDrive" just on the tailgate then there are the side emblems "limited" and the front "V8" and the "Sombrero"...

I found a place online that says there "paint" is the factory black pearl color, but Treeroot has me thinking clean might be best.:thumb:

Squishy!
05-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Toyota has actually discontinued most black pearl emblems proir to 2006. What I did on my Runner was remove most of the emblems, but the "Sombrero" leaves holes, so I bought a new one (15 bucks) roughed it up and sprayed it with Krylon Fusion black paint. Works freaking awesome. It's still clean but leaves the Toyota emblem. All the different fonts they use have always bugged me so leaving it with just the emblem looks clean.

ElliottB
05-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Shave 'em! You can see in these photos the only change to the truck was to remove the bling gold emblems. ;) The truck looks completely different without them.

Hmm, I wouldn't say that's the ONLY change to that truck. It looks great though!

Three Wheel Ben
05-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Drew, I've got black pearl on my 100 and wouldn't do it again. They look cool but the mag chloride eats the finish like nothing. Stick with chrome or something home made.

my :twocents:

simps80
05-30-2009, 11:28 PM

yea shaving the emblems and 2.3 millllion dollars worth of parts and self-labor that doesn't count but should

Rezarf
06-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Drew, I've got black pearl on my 100 and wouldn't do it again. They look cool but the mag chloride eats the finish like nothing. Stick with chrome or something home made.

my :twocents:

Thanks, that is a good tip. I might strip off most of them and paint over the few that remain.