PDA

View Full Version : Weird noise, can you help?

Rezarf
06-01-2009, 09:21 AM
So, my cruiser (76 fj40) is making a wierd clunking noise, like something big is loose. I have pulled and jerked on everything under the hood including the tranny and tcase and engine (now I don't think that I would get them to rattle but maybe budge just a bit?) Anyhow, as I drive over a bump I get a noticeable clunking sound that I can nearly feel in the floor boards.

I haven't pulled the skid plate yet, but I will this weekend. I have a set of new ubolts coming for the season, do you think that bad ubolts could cause this kind of a clunk?

I am kind of at a losss, all the motor/tranny mounts are good and tight. Brake/clutch master are also good and tight...

I am a bit :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks! :thumb:

subzali
06-01-2009, 09:34 AM
are your spring bushings in good shape or have the bolts worn through to the shackles? I would check/tighten the u-bolts as well. Also, if it's been wet then sometimes the spring packs can shift a bit and cause a clunk. just some ideas...

nakman
06-01-2009, 09:39 AM
How about shock bolts? :confuse2:

MDH33
06-01-2009, 09:58 AM
My first thought was engine trans/mounts. Sometimes it's hard to tell that they are cracked without flexing it. Shackle bushings, shock mounts like Matt and Tim said also. Never hurts to pull the shackles apart to add some grease and make sure the bushings aren't worn out.

Rezarf
06-02-2009, 05:17 PM
My first thought was engine trans/mounts. Sometimes it's hard to tell that they are cracked without flexing it. Shackle bushings, shock mounts like Matt and Tim said also. Never hurts to pull the shackles apart to add some grease and make sure the bushings aren't worn out.

I just greased the shackles and they all looked fine. I also just retorqued the ubolts. I even giggled the heater to make sure it wasn't the case as well. I still suspect it is in my failing caster blocks, and poor ubolt fit. I finally bit the bullet and ordered steel shims, and MAF ubolt flip kit for the front.

I am pulling my header to replace them, they have a good leak coming out of them now, so when I am there I am going to give that last motor mount on the bellhousing a good look to, it is hard to see with the headers there.

Can you pull the mount with the engine/tranny in place? Just trying to figure out how to flex them while they are installed.

Thanks guys, I am hoping my cruiser will be in tip top wheelin' shape within a week or two... :thumb:

Subz, while I have you reading this, do you have a part # on the metal fire extinguisher you got from grainger?

Thanks!

Drew

rover67
06-02-2009, 07:01 PM
you can always park it and stick it in 4 low, set the parking brake, and let out the clutch to see if the motor moves around a bunch.. leave the front hubs unlocked.

Inukshuk
06-02-2009, 07:30 PM
You guys are all missing it. This is an easy one: the noise is the 76 fj40. :p:

Beater
06-02-2009, 08:50 PM

that was just plain mean. Accurate, but mean.

Uncle Ben
06-02-2009, 09:08 PM

:lmao::lmao::lmao: I think you're right! Maude is prolly screaming for attention!

Rzeppa
06-02-2009, 09:44 PM
The easy way to check for a torn motor mount is simply jack up under the oil pan. Put a piece of wood under the pan and lift until the rig starts to raise up a bit. Super easy to do and then observe what's going on, and only takes a few minutes.

subzali
06-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Drew, unless you have a better memory than me I don't remember buying a fire extinguisher from Grainger. I'm pretty sure I got it from Ace Hardware...

Rezarf
06-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Drew, unless you have a better memory than me I don't remember buying a fire extinguisher from Grainger. I'm pretty sure I got it from Ace Hardware...

Sorry Matt- I meant the fire extinguisher MOUNT... I though UB bought one for someone?

:thumb:

Rezarf
06-03-2009, 11:26 PM
:lmao::lmao::lmao: I think you're right! Maude is prolly screaming for attention!

That is SO true!

:thumb::bowdown:

Rezarf
07-19-2009, 11:04 AM
So, I tightened the motor mounts, installed new flipped ubolts, and I still have the "clunk" I am at a loss...

I can see a bit of play in the bib hinge near the front crossmember that is allowing the fenders/bib/hood to wiggle a little but this still sounds like a big clunk!

I put a jack under the oil pan and saw no movement anywhere, the exhaust is tight and hung correctly, the tranny and xfer case are both tight too :confused:

I am leary of heading down to the GTR if I can't figure it out by then.

Anyone? :thumb:

Drew

subzali
07-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Drew when does this clunk occur? When you go over a bump? When you let out the clutch when shifting gears? When the truck is just sitting there? (sorry that one was just for fun)

Jacket
07-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Did you jack up the front end (or back end) with a floor jack, and then "drop it" back down. Might give you a better clue if it's due to the up/down motion in the suspension versus something else.

TIMZTOY
07-21-2009, 11:48 AM
if its only clucking when your driving over a bump odds are its lower suspention any were there is rubber meeting steel.. sway bar bushings, shock and springs bushings, also body mounts. with broken bolt..

* I'd check the body mounts with a prybar first
* Then the leaf spring & shackle bushings( front and rear on each leaf )
* Then Motor mounts and tranny mount

its really easy to check the motor mounts. just put in gear foot on brake's and pump the gas, to tourque the motor. youll need someone else to either do the gas or or look at the mounts. they will flex a little but will be obvious if its bad..

:cheers: and good luck

post a pic if you find the problem

Rezarf
07-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Well, I think it could be the body panels now. My dad and I played with it a ton on Sunday. I am going to wedge the front bib hinge and see if I can take the play out of it. It only happens when the suspension bumps something, usually on the droop side of a bump... but it is hard to tell. I am going to loosen and rehang the fenders/apron/hood/bib and see what comes of it. Running out of time, don't want to miss the GTR.

I might grind out the center pin on the bib hinge and install a bolt with some good broinze or nylon bushings to take out the slack too.

Kinda at the end of my rope...

timztoy... i have done all you suggested, but thanks for the help! :thumb:

MDH33
07-21-2009, 12:37 PM
On our mini truck, I had a similar Clunking noise. I just figured out what it was: A very sloppy U joint in the rear drive shaft! Started with the clunk when I would hit bumps, but eventually it turned into a vibration which made me crawl under to check the DS. I swapped out the bad U joint and both the vibration and clunk disappeared. :thumb:

Rezarf
07-21-2009, 12:43 PM
On our mini truck, I had a similar Clunking noise. I just figured out what it was: A very sloppy U joint in the rear drive shaft! Started with the clunk when I would hit bumps, but eventually it turned into a vibration which made me crawl under to check the DS. I swapped out the bad U joint and both the vibration and clunk disappeared. :thumb:

I will check that Martin thanks! I just recently lubed the entire chassis and suspension and gave a look over everything. I tugged on the u-joints and they have no play when rotated... is there another way to check them?

Thanks!:thumb:

Drew

subzali
07-21-2009, 01:53 PM
dude bring it on the GTR and I'll show you how many clunks and bangs and rattles my truck has and you won't worry about yours any more! :D :thumb: Seriously I'm having trouble imagining it's serious enough to keep you from coming on the trip! So bring and we'll either work the clunk out of it on the trails or we'll figure it out in the campground! These trails aren't much harder than your daily commute to work!