PDA

View Full Version : OBD-1 engine code checking

subzali
06-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Anybody have a reference on how to do the check engine light code check with the OBD-1 system? Something like shorting out one of the diagnostic ports then turning the key to ACC and counting how many times it flashes or something? A lady I know is getting a check engine light in her '90 Celica.

nakman
06-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Yup that's it, on 62's you jumper two of the terminals together, can't remember which ones I think one of them has a T in it.. :) Go to Auto Zone for lunch and flip through some Haynes manuals, see if it's the same for the Camry. If so you can borrow my Cruiser Haynes..

PabloCruise
06-01-2009, 01:54 PM
You jumper TE1 and E1

My understanding is that Toyota kept the process the same through all OBD1 vehicles.

This is from a 1988 FJ62 manual - it may apply to your friends Celica

powderpig
06-01-2009, 02:00 PM
If the hood sticker is still on the hood, it will show you. Other wise Te1 to E1 with the key to the on, but not running position.
Then you will need a chart of the codes to help you. Can blink in single digit or two digit codes.
If two or more codes, they will appear one after the other, then repeat themselves again. To clear the older ones, just pull the EFI fuse or disconnect the battery for 5 or more minutes(some time it can take 15-20).

subzali
06-01-2009, 04:09 PM
a "service wire" :lmao:

Thanks guys! I'll see if that helps her out!

PabloCruise
06-01-2009, 04:46 PM
a "service wire" :lmao:

Thanks guys! I'll see if that helps her out!

I have a OEM TEQ one that I can sell you - very special discount - today only!

Hurry!!! Operators are standing by...