PDA

View Full Version : Fire Extinguishers on Woot...

corsair23
06-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Don't know if this is a good deal or a waste of $$ - But 2 for $10 + $5 shipping seems like a decent deal. And, you can buy up to 3 sets so technically you could get 6 fire extinguishers for $35 with shipping. They seem small compared to what I'm used to but...

Thoughts?

http://www.woot.com/

Hulk
06-02-2009, 11:16 AM
The only thing I don't like is that they're "good until 2011." That means in 2 years, you'll have to replace them.

DaveInDenver
06-02-2009, 12:03 PM
The only thing I don't like is that they're "good until 2011." That means in 2 years, you'll have to replace them.
Not necessarily, they'll probably last longer just that the certificate is good until 2011. After that OSHA or NHTSA or whomever would no longer allow them without an inspection and/or recharge (which is probably impossible on these). If they had pressure gauges it would be easier to know, so it's tough to say and so you'd have to take that into account for your peace of mind. I have a few 2.5 lbs ABC units w/ gauges around the house and in the trucks and I know for a fact that one that was 7 years old and still in the green pressure worked just fine.

Hulk
06-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Not necessarily, they'll probably last longer just that the certificate is good until 2011. After that OSHA or NHTSA or whomever would no longer allow them without an inspection and/or recharge (which is probably impossible on these). If they had pressure gauges it would be easier to know, so it's tough to say and so you'd have to take that into account for your peace of mind. I have a few 2.5 lbs ABC units w/ gauges around the house and in the trucks and I know for a fact that one that was 7 years old and still in the green pressure worked just fine.

Probably true, but I'd rather spend a little more and get a serviceable fire extinguisher than these.

DaveInDenver
06-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Probably true, but I'd rather spend a little more and get a serviceable fire extinguisher than these.
Oh no, man, I totally agree. But I would take my chances with these over having nothing available. For the price you could stash them everywhere, give them out on the trail, whatever.

Bruce Miller
06-02-2009, 06:20 PM
An interesting note regarding fire extinguishers, at least the style with the gauge. The old guy who services our fire extinguishers at work told me that we should be inspecting our extinguishers at least once per month. To do so, he said we should do this: with the extinguisher at about a 45 degree angle to the floor, tap the extinguisher's bottom on the floor a couple of times, then lift the extinguisher near your ear, turn the extinguisher upside down. You should hear the falling of the extinguishing material like sand falling thru an hour glass. If you are unable to hear this falling sound, chances are all the extinguishing material is caked up inside the extinguisher causing it to be inoperative.

Corbet
06-04-2009, 07:28 PM
After having to discharge a chemical extinguisher on my 40 :( I would rather watch my 80 burn than do that again. Which reminds me I need to step up and just spend the money on a new Halon or Halotron unit. I carry a chem now but like I said it would be very hard for me to pull that trigger again.

Hulk
06-05-2009, 01:38 PM
After having to discharge a chemical extinguisher on my 40 :( I would rather watch my 80 burn than do that again.

Corbet,

You should read this thread on Mud about a burning 80 (with pictures) (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/281164-all-burned-up.html), and then see if you still feel the same way. Scared me to death.

DaveInDenver
06-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Corbet,

You should read this thread on Mud about a burning 80 (with pictures) (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/281164-all-burned-up.html), and then see if you still feel the same way. Scared me to death.
And God forbid if your Yota fire starts a wild fire. I'm afraid I would have to suck it up and do it.

Corbet
06-05-2009, 07:23 PM
And God forbid if your Yota fire starts a wild fire. I'm afraid I would have to suck it up and do it.

To prevent a wildfire I'd do it. Otherwise I think I'd sit back and watch.

The additional corrosion damage caused by the chemical extinguisher was not worth the little it did to keep my fire at bay. If I'd have had it in the beginning maybe I could have got the fire out. But when the Sheriff showed up 15 minutes into the fire it was like peeing on a campfire at that point.

JadeRunner
06-05-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm interested in more details here. It sounds like the cheap ext. was bad news. Why? My thought is that if I have a small fire and I put it out promptly in the engine bay I wouldn't want it to destroy the rest of the rubber and plastic engine components. I would happily buy a higher end ext. with different chemicals. Cost is not a concern at that point.

To prevent a wildfire I'd do it. Otherwise I think I'd sit back and watch.

The additional corrosion damage caused by the chemical extinguisher was not worth the little it did to keep my fire at bay. If I'd have had it in the beginning maybe I could have got the fire out. But when the Sheriff showed up 15 minutes into the fire it was like peeing on a campfire at that point.

Mendocino
06-06-2009, 09:18 AM
We had a fire in my 40 shortly after we got it. We were driving on the road just past Carnage Canyon in Boulder when the enginse started missing. My wife started yelling that we were on fire and I could see flames through the passenger side louvers in the hood. I continued up the road a little bit to find a pull out and stopped. We opened the hood and smoke and flames belched out. There was a small fire extinguisher ~4" in diameter by 8" from the PO that I started using on the base of the flames. I was very happy to see the flames decreasing until the fire extinguisher ran out of material. The flames returned and I really thought we would watch it burn to the ground. Ann got here coffee cup from the cup holder and started ferrying water from the creek across the road to put out the fire. In the end this worked.

As Corbet pointed out the chemical extinguisher makes a mess, but if its cleaned up shortly after the fire its manageable. I would never just let it burn to the ground due to all the collateral damage that ensues (emotional, financial, environmental).

Lessons learned:

1. Have a fire extinguisher-always.
2. Have enough fire extinguisher. I still have bad dreams of the flames resuming after the extinguisher died.
3. Have more than one fire extinguisher; you may need it; or you may use yours on a friends rig and need it for yourself later.

Corbet
06-06-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm interested in more details here. It sounds like the cheap ext. was bad news. Why? My thought is that if I have a small fire and I put it out promptly in the engine bay I wouldn't want it to destroy the rest of the rubber and plastic engine components. I would happily buy a higher end ext. with different chemicals. Cost is not a concern at that point.

I'm just stating that I would recomend having a Halon or similar unit as the aftermath is much easier to clean up. But be prepared to spend much more for it up front. Having 2 even better.

I'm my case I had none at the time. Ony a couple of gallon jugs of water in back. By the time I got myself pulled over the untire engine compartment was consumed by the fire. I used the water I had to keep it ahead of the fire wall the best I could until emergency services arrived. 1st was a sheriff's car with a small chemical unit. That really did nothing at that point. Next was the pumper truck. 120psi of water from the big hose did short work of it. In all she probably burned 20 minutes total. But even after an almost immediate carwash complements of the fire department the chemical extingusher caused some serious corrosion. Plus I'm sure it was not real healthy for me to clean and handle damaged components of the truck afterwards.

And yes very few things in life have sucked more than watching my 40 burn. I'm just happy nobody was hurt. On a side note make sure you are no where near a car battery when that explodes.