PDA

View Full Version : mini truck confessions

nakman
06-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi, my name is Tim, I'm a RS Member, and TLCA member, and I love mini trucks. (hello Tim)

My first little truck was in high school, I had a 1979 Chevy Luv... was actually a pretty sweet ride I enjoyed it for quite a few years. Used to wheel it on weekends, even jumped it once. Later I had a 84 Nissan with 31's and about a 4" lift. It was also fun, but you had to know all the quirks to keep it running.. when I finished college I gave it to my dad to use as a plow truck, and I don't think it lasted more than another year after that.

A little later in life, after a 3-year stint with a 94 Ford Ranger, I made the switch to Toyota and I guess haven't looked back since. I traded the Ranger in on a T100, which needed a little work and I didn't have the skill necessary to keep it going, nor did I have the network of experts that I am fortunate to have now, and paying retail for parts & repairs was killer. So the T100 was traded in on an 80... yup same 80 I drove to work yesterday. Yet while in possession of said 80 we have also owned a 2002 Tacoma that we bought brand new (later traded in for a Passat Wagon when the :Princess:'s belly started to grow), and I also ran a 1998 2wd Taco for a couple years that I bought as a commuter. I ended up selling that to our brother in law who is a painter, he really needed a better ride and we wanted to help him out, so he helped us purchase a 96 4runner. He still drives that truck, and in fact my brother now drives that 4Runner... wait how many is that...

But having the world's absolute best off-the-shelf expedition vehicle, the FZJ 80 series Land Cruiser, does come with a certain amount of pressure. Particularly when you've been around for a while (in internet time), have done an extensive list of upgrades, offered many people tech advice (some actually correct), even pioneered a couple mods. In fact this may be news to all of you but there are at least a couple people on this planet who actually think I'm an expert at a couple things, 80-wise, at least one of whom isn't related to me. It's easy to get sucked into the solid front axle/coil spring/factory front locker superiority complex, and frankly how can you blame someone for being so right? If you're still reading, I hope you're smiling at this point... :) but in all seriousness, the diversity of this club, and the good-natured ribbing we occasionally do between different trucks I find to be quite entertaining... so with that I'll dispense with the rest of the dribble and come clean on my newest project...

Romer
06-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi

My name is Ken

(Hello Ken)

I have never owned a mini-truck or does a 4runner count?

I have had two 40's, two 80's and two 4runners

Guess things come in two's

I do remember really wanting that built Toyota truck Marty McFly got at the end of Back to the Future.

http://www.imcdb.org/images/002/669.jpg

I'd probably still like to have that truck

Thats all

(love you ken)

nakman
06-02-2009, 08:44 PM
After we moved back to the city in March, I sold our commuter Subaru then picked up the truck I regretted not buying back in 2002: a 2001 Taco Double Cab. My plan for this is to build it up somewhat expeditionously, similar to what Scott Brady did with his white Taco, or Kurt Williams' setup on the red one he had at Cruise Moab, though most likely a little more modest in accessories. I still have an 80, after all.

So here's the specs as it sits tonight: OME 2.5" lift, Maxxis Bighorn 255 85 r16's on stock 80 series rims, some custom sliders, and a Yaesu FT-8800 radio. I put the radio under the driver's seat, then the faceplate below the ashtray, with the remote speaker replacing that little square thing that holds change. Everything else, at this point, is still stock...

Romer
06-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Thats a nice truck Tim

Congrats

nakman
06-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks Ken. I guess now if I'm the only one on line I can just give myself a hard time.. hey there 6500 pounds, whatever IFS, take off you damn elitist, aw go get an alignment... :blah: :lmao:

Actually I do need to get an alignment, appointment is Friday. I also need to do some clearancing in the front wheel wells so the tires don't rub, a procedure I've found to be very well documented. Then it's on to phase II - getting the RTT support structure in the bed. However I may need to pause the build for a few to go wheel this thing... when does Jenny Creek open? :D

here's a before & after of the tires, just for grins...

Tch2fly
06-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Arrrgggghhh:rant:
I had just decided that I should leave mine alone since as you put it
I still have an 80, after all.

but now you have me pricing parts again :rolleyes:

oh BTW ... very nice :thumb:
:cheers:

subzali
06-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Sweet Tim!

My name is Matt, I just bought a Tundra, which isn't exactly a minitruck but it's reaching outside of strict Land Cruiser-ism. I cut my teeth on a '91 2wd pickup, and if it had been a 4wd rather than a 2wd I just might be a full-blown minitruck guy. Guess I got lucky :p:

I will be interested to see your RTT frame Tim, I think it *might* just be the thing for my new Tundra...

bh4rnnr
06-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks Ken. I guess now if I'm the only one on line I can just give myself a hard time.. hey there 6500 pounds, whatever IFS, take off you damn elitist, aw go get an alignment... :blah: :lmao:

Actually I do need to get an alignment, appointment is Friday. I also need to do some clearancing in the front wheel wells so the tires don't rub, a procedure I've found to be very well documented. Then it's on to phase II - getting the RTT support structure in the bed. However I may need to pause the build for a few to go wheel this thing... when does Jenny Creek open? :D

here's a before & after of the tires, just for grins...

Tim, have you checked out the Front Runner tent mount (http://www.equipt1.com/h/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,390/category_id,158/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,31/)that Paul sells? Kurt's running them on his taco.

And thats a good looking rig:cool:, so should I put you on the list for this years Outlaws Run?:hill:

nakman
06-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Mike: I can't believe you haven't built yours up... c'mon man! let's ride...

Matt so far I've just started figuring out the frame in CAD... but I could email you the SW file if you want to see it. it's pretty simple, actually, though I've got some more ideas still up in the percolator...

Oh, and I missed a mod- next up is tundra brakes in front, I should have all the parts I need after tomorrow. :)

edit: that's cool, Perry, thanks I hadn't seen that. but yeah, something like that is what I have in mind for sure. As for the outlaws run, well... you're right I really should go, and have wanted to attend the last ones too.

MDH33
06-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Isn't there a 40 missing from that Toyota history??

Nice truck dude. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
06-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I hear there is over the counter suave to stop the burning now when you pee! ;) :lmao::lmao:
sweet truck man!

corsair23
06-02-2009, 10:12 PM
:drool:

MAN that thing looks SO different that it did a couple weeks ago :D - Glad you came out of the closet...The suspense was killing me :hill:

:thumb:

EDIT: I think there are more closet mini truck lovers in the club than are brave enough to admit it :) - Here was my first Toyota...a 1982 SR5 PU that I built up my senior year of HS and after...Can't find any shots of the finished project so these will have to do.

License plate doesn't say "skinks"...It was supposed to be "Ski in Excess" but no one ever got it :rolleyes: - "SKI2XS" was already taken :o

subzali
06-03-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm wondering why your wife's car is not in the garage...:confused:

Romer
06-03-2009, 07:12 AM
I'm wondering why your wife's car is not in the garage...:confused:

By the look of the picture, maybe his new house has a 3 car???

Kipper
06-03-2009, 07:53 AM
aw go get an alignment...

sweet truck dude! when i bought my 4runner i got the lifetime alignment package from the alignment shop when i started wheeling it. it makes me feel a little more comfortable wheeling a wacky IFS truck.

RockRunner
06-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Nice rig man, that will just fine in the expo world. I eyed one of those a while back and worke dit all out but decided to stay with the 4Runner. Keep the upgrades and pictures coming.

nakman
06-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Yes 3 car- she gets her own door too. :)

CBone
06-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Great looking truck Tim

ah, mini trucks, the start of an addiction...

Bought this new in 91 and drove her 9 years before selling her and getting my first LC. That truck and I had some really good times. No one back east understood why I would sell a 9 year old truck to buy an 11 year old Land Cruiser...those silly east coasters :D

and now I drive a 24 year old truck, I think I'm heading in the right direction!

nakman
06-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Martin that was just the mini truck confession, true to go down the whole list would definitely include a 40, also a 62...

And good to see that mini truck support is strong! Neat to see a couple other guys emerge from the shadows as well. :)

edit: and Jeff, those pictures are classic. But I'm thinking your new handle needs to be SKINKS! :lmao: I've got a new sen sa tion...

Red_Chili
06-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Aw youse guys is just tryin' to make me feel more at home...
:lmao:

I too had a '79 LUV. Was disappointed in the power and clearance, so I put on some FJ stock wheels, L78/15s, cranked T bars and a homemade rear lift (coilover F-250 booster shocks... worked darn well!! :lmao:) and not knowing about gearing realized I was REALLY down on power. So I put a Weber downdraft on it, an Offy intake manifold, and headers.

I was trying to end up with a truck that was like the Toy Hilux I SHOULDA bought.

I ended up buying an '82 SR5 longbed and loved it for 100K miles. Then an '89 XtraCab that was great, then the '90 4Runner, now my multiyear 4Runner... Once you go minitruck you don't go back. There is just a certain logic to how Toyota designed them and made them to be completely rebuildable and serviceable, and nothing else is like them.

mtnrunner
06-04-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm a Yota addict too. I've owned many...all modded.

79' PU on 35's
80' PU on 35's
79' PU on 37's an 22RE (current and best)
01 Taco D-cab on 33's and Supercharged
94' FJ-80 on 33's
06' 4Runner Sport on 33's

Convert
06-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi
My name is Dan and I want a mini tru.........k, UB help !!!!!! send pictures of Wildrice so I don't wander to the other side. Land Cruisers Rule Land Cruisers Rule Land Cruisers Rule Hurry Uncle Ben the force is getting weak

Uncle Ben
06-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi
My name is Dan and I want a mini tru.........k, UB help !!!!!! send pictures of Wildrice so I don't wander to the other side. Land Cruisers Rule Land Cruisers Rule Land Cruisers Rule Hurry Uncle Ben the force is getting weak

Feel like getting chicky wit it at JC this weekend? The FJ180 will make you a believer again!

DaveInDenver
06-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Toyota Hilux. From Colorado to California, it's the little truck that does so much!

DaveInDenver
06-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I like 'em!

Jacket
06-06-2009, 10:00 PM
:thumb:

powderpig
06-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Yea, I had a couple. Kinda small and cute, and tough.
85 runner for 15 year, 85 work truck(did just that, worked hard).
Not enough space for the family. Some day maybe again.

MDH33
10-16-2009, 08:11 AM
At Tim's prompting, I'm reviving this thread. I have to confess my sin. :o

What's hiding behind that minitruck??

Another minitruck!!??

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/682460978_VsLRX-S.jpg

No cool mods yet like Tim's but it has some potential.

;)

Air Randy
10-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Does that mean you aren't still considering selling the closer one?

Caribou Sandstorm
10-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey Tim,

What tires are those on your Tundra? Do you like them.

nakman
10-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Chris you asking me? I gots a Taco man, no Tundra.. but Maxxis Bighorns, 255 85 r16's. Yes I like them- they don't vibrate at any speeds (that I've reached) they track well down the highway. Off pavement they bite super well, some of the best tires I've wheeled so far. Skinny definitely helps on trucks, IMO.

My only complaints is they're a little noisy on pavement, particularly between 35 and 45. The seem to quiet down at higher speeds though, or maybe other noise just overcomes it, they don't get louder tough, not significantly. And I have kissed my rims a few times on rocks, in hindsight I probably shouldn't have done 8" wide 80 rims with a 10" tire. I actually just picked up a set of stock Taco rims that are 7", and will be putting the tires onto those, hoping they bubble out a little more and protect the rims a tiny bit more.

Jacket
10-16-2009, 10:53 AM
And I have kissed my rims a few times on rocks, in hindsight I probably shouldn't have done 8" wide 80 rims with a 10" tire. I actually just picked up a set of stock Taco rims that are 7", and will be putting the tires onto those, hoping they bubble out a little more and protect the rims a tiny bit more.

That's been my experience as well with the 255/85 tire size. They mount Ok on an 8" rim, but you don't get the same protection you'd get from a narrower rim, and in some cases they have trouble holding the bead at low PSI. If I really had my druthers for a 33" tire, I'd want a 265/85 or a 275/80 - just a bit more width and that nice 33.5'ish height.

I've got 16x7 rims on both my 40 and for the KM2's for my Taco.

Oh - and congrats Martin! Baby Huber will love the Taco!

MDH33
10-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Hey Tim, where did you get your lift and sliders?

It's kind of funny, the stock '82 sits higher than the stock 2004.

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/682461272_p3i7w-M.jpg

nakman
10-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Lift was purchased from and installed by Sleeoffroad. Sliders are custom, made by a guy Nathaniel works with.

Jacket
10-16-2009, 01:18 PM
It's kind of funny, the stock '82 sits higher than the stock 2004.

MPG consideration? :dunno:

So is the '82 for sale?

MDH33
10-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Does that mean you aren't still considering selling the closer one?

So is the '82 for sale?

Maybe selling the '82, but I need to go through the front axle and figure out what's making noise when it's in 4wd. No time before the Outlaws Run, so probably sometime in November I'll post it up if we decide to sell it. I have to admit, the '82 is a lot more fun to drive. ;)

subzali
10-18-2009, 09:27 AM
don't worry, you'll get used to the OBDII before you know it ;)

What engine did you get with the 2004?

Caribou Sandstorm
10-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Opps I thought about that after I sent my Q, I drove buy a TACO and thought, did I write Tundra??

I like these tires a bunch.. I have been waffling between Goodyear MTs and BFG MT 2s...

I have also experienced the wheel Question issue. As you guys know Toyota goes with 7" rims for Taco, FJCruiser..I went with the aftermarket KMCs they are 8s...My 285 bfgs seem even wider now then they did with the stock alloys.. I almost wish I had waited to find a pair of FJC steelies, new they are 175.00 a piece., my KMCs were 110.00. I still have the TRDs but only running those for street becasue they are not replacable..So I am wondering if I made the right choice in the KMC wheels..Should I go with a narrower wheel and 255s like Matt R.s set up.

I am totally confused...now after Matt's post..Also my KMCs barely miss the brake caliper, I mean by a hair, if that...I am wondering if this is not good for off-roading... Has any one experienced any issues with aftermarket wheels being to close to calipers..Sorry if I am Hijaking Tims thread..will punt in need be.

nakman
10-19-2009, 08:05 AM
It's all just chatting about trucks so this thread is as good as any other... but yes I haven't had any issues but the low caliper clearance actually worries me some.. thinking about little rocks, etc. getting wedged up in there.

Matt 2004 the last year of the 5VZ FE 3.4, and that smaller body style.

subzali
10-19-2009, 08:27 AM
He could've gotten the 3RZ-FE no? :dunno:

But it looks like it's the 4-door, so V6 and automatic transmission only right?

Jacket
10-19-2009, 10:43 AM
. I almost wish I had waited to find a pair of FJC steelies, new they are 175.00 a piece., my KMCs were 110.00. I still have the TRDs but only running those for street becasue they are not replacable..So I am wondering if I made the right choice in the KMC wheels..Should I go with a narrower wheel and 255s like Matt R.s set up.

I am totally confused...now after Matt's post..Also my KMCs barely miss the brake caliper, I mean by a hair, if that...I am wondering if this is not good for off-roading... Has any one experienced any issues with aftermarket wheels being to close to calipers..Sorry if I am Hijaking Tims thread..will punt in need be.

$175 a piece is nuts. I got mine for $40. Two for free, and two for $20 each. That 16 hole, 16" steel wheel is the spare wheel for many Tacomas and Tundras from around 2001 onward. I just put out a few feelers, and some folks are pretty much giving them away for one reason or another. Just note that there's a 18 hole variety that came on 4Runners that isn't the same, and that your TPMS won't work with the steelies.

Jacket
10-19-2009, 10:44 AM
But it looks like it's the 4-door, so V6 and automatic transmission only right?

Correct.

Beater
10-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I have hi-lux control arms in my t100, does that count?