PDA

View Full Version : Looking for reliable/honest mechanic on the South Side

FJBRADY
06-04-2009, 09:08 AM
The 40 sprung a leak last night. Small puddle in front of the firewall on the drivers side tight to the fender. Brake fluid fine, engine oil fine. I suspect it is related to the clutch as the PO mentioned he replaced the clutch not long ago and the oil is fresh.

Please advise.....

RicardoJM
06-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I don't have a mechanic/shop reference for clutch work. How is the fluid level in the clutch master reservoir? If the leak is in the clutch system, I would expect to see the clutch master reservoir low. As the leak is recent, taking a look at the slave cylinder, hose between the master cylinder and slave and the master cylinder should might be a good next step to determine what has failed and needs to be replaced.

When sourcing cylinders for the early 70's there are some specific things about the fittings that you need to keep in mind - Jeff Zepp has some good information on his website (http://rzeppa.org/tech/clutchmc.htmhttp://) about replacing the master cylinder. Rebuild kits are readly availalble. All that said, there are upgrade kits - new cylinders and hose available. If you want to go the upgrade route, take a look at part #CHC40 from JTO Outfitters.

subzali
06-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Toy Car Care is a pretty reputable shop. I think they're kinda south side.

Or Rocky Mountain Cruisers

FJBRADY
06-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks Ricardo, I will check what you suggest. The challenge with this truck is that is has parts from multiple years and multiple manufacturer's. I think the only thing original is the steering wheel!

Matt, thank you for the suggestions....I may be setting up an appointment if I can not diagnose by the end of today.

If any one else has idea's/suggestions please post.

wesintl
06-04-2009, 10:38 AM
pics.. we can help diagnose what year master etc.

FJBRADY
06-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Just took it for a short spin around the block....no leaks, everything is tight and topped off. I will take it out for lunch and report back.

Red_Chili
06-04-2009, 11:22 AM
The challenge with this truck is that is has parts from multiple years and multiple manufacturer's. I think the only thing original is the steering wheel!

Huh. Wonder what that is like.

DaveInDenver
06-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Are you sure that it's hydraulic fluid? What's the color, smell, etc? Small puddle could easily be a slight leak in a rad hose or maybe an oil seal weeping a little.

FJBRADY
06-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Are you sure that it's hydraulic fluid? What's the color, smell, etc? Small puddle could easily be a slight leak in a rad hose or maybe an oil seal weeping a little.

Lt lt gray in color, very thin fluid and no odor.

corsair23
06-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Should it prove to be a bigger issue that you can't/done want to tackle, for honest mechanics that might be able to help out you could try Three Wheel Ben and/or Squishy on the South side.

For FJ40 stuff I always went to Ron @ RMC first but that appears to be an option that is going away :(

FJBRADY
06-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Just drove it down the street 5 miles or so. Motor was up to temp., sounds normal and no leaks on the ground.....can't explain it.

Case closed for now anyway....thanks guys for all your help!

DaveInDenver
06-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Lt lt gray in color, very thin fluid and no odor.
Dirty water, then? :-) Just funning ya, but actually after a bunch of rain or snow I'll get dirty puddles under the truck...

There are only so many fluids in the truck, anti-freeze smells (and tastes if you're brave enough) sweet, gear oil stinks, motor oil has a distinct smell, brake fluid has a tactile quality (sorta get a warming touch when I rub between my fingers), grease is just thick oil, etc. If it's truly very plain and odor-less, who knows, might just be water?

FJBRADY
06-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Dirty water, then? :-) Just funning ya, but actually after a bunch of rain or snow I'll get dirty puddles under the truck...

There are only so many fluids in the truck, anti-freeze smells (and tastes if you're brave enough) sweet, gear oil stinks, motor oil has a distinct smell, brake fluid has a tactile quality (sorta get a warming touch when I rub between my fingers), grease is just thick oil, etc. If it's truly very plain and odor-less, who knows, might just be water?

So what your saying is don't post up after driving through a puddle?

DaveInDenver
06-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Nope, all questions are fielded. However well thought out and correct answers are not guaranteed. What is for sure is the price for awesomeness.

Hulk
06-04-2009, 07:55 PM
We should get some of those shirts for the RS raffle. :D

Bikeman
06-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Steve, you could drive it by on Sunday at my house after I'm back from the Elephant Rock Ride Support and i'll know what it is. I've had 2 old broncos, plenty of dirt bikes, a 1969 F-250, old baja bug, 4Runners, Nissan minis, etc. so I could pinpiont at least what it was.

FJBRADY
06-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Steve, you could drive it by on Sunday at my house after I'm back from the Elephant Rock Ride Support and i'll know what it is. I've had 2 old broncos, plenty of dirt bikes, a 1969 F-250, old baja bug, 4Runners, Nissan minis, etc. so I could pinpiont at least what it was.

You got it, Mike!

Checking the fluid that leaked with other fluids under the hood, the color and consistency is the same as in the clutch reservoir sitting on the firewall, which is showing full.....

FJBRADY
06-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Found the issue, thanks to a Heep owner behind the counter at Discount Tire .....it happens to be the breather tube routed under the hood from the rear pumpkin. Spoke to WHTKUKL himself and he said that he just changed the gear oil and it is most likely overfilled.