PDA

View Full Version : Rear locker "quagmire"...

FJBen
03-20-2006, 09:56 AM
So the fun begins....93 80 series, factory locked. Well the rear wouldn't engage. I have tried all the testing, driving in circles, 9 volt battery test that I could do without tearing into the actuator. Finally decided to saturday before the snow. Upon opening the cover...a light red silt started to pour out... :rant: grrr...once pulled about 2 cups of rust/silt dirt came out.

I'll admit I'm not the smartest man in the world, but I'm pretty sure rust/sand pouring from the actuator isn't some secrect "c-dan" magic OEM part number we don't know about. :rolleyes:

So upon trying to get the whole assemble off, I managed to bust the two lower mounting tabs on the unit... :rolleyes: great...it's now officially fooked. Only two bolts holding it in/snug.

So here are my options as I see it.

A. Purchase new actuator unit ~$600 from C-dan...ouch

B. Purchase Downey cable kit ~$130

C. Steal working actuator off of wifes 80 series ~$I don't even want to speculate that cost...

Any other options??? ARB is out because I could buy an actuator for the price of a locker. Thoughts?

Uncle Ben
03-20-2006, 10:04 AM
What I would do....."borrow" the wifes actuator untill you can source parts or rebuild yours. Also, Christo has some used locker parts and also might have insight :bowdown: on where to find what ya need. Good luck! :o

So the fun begins....93 80 series, factory locked. Well the rear wouldn't engage. I have tried all the testing, driving in circles, 9 volt battery test that I could do without tearing into the actuator. Finally decided to saturday before the snow. Upon opening the cover...a light red silt started to pour out... :rant: grrr...once pulled about 2 cups of rust/silt dirt came out.

I'll admit I'm not the smartest man in the world, but I'm pretty sure rust/sand pouring from the actuator isn't some secrect "c-dan" magic OEM part number we don't know about. :rolleyes:

So upon trying to get the whole assemble off, I managed to bust the two lower mounting tabs on the unit... :rolleyes: great...it's now officially fooked. Only two bolts holding it in/snug.

So here are my options as I see it.

A. Purchase new actuator unit ~$600 from C-dan...ouch

B. Purchase Downey cable kit ~$130

C. Steal working actuator off of wifes 80 series ~$I don't even want to speculate that cost...

Any other options??? ARB is out because I could buy an actuator for the price of a locker. Thoughts?

Beater
03-20-2006, 11:53 AM
cable it. I was going to respond on mud, but I didn't want to deal with the responses

Nay
03-20-2006, 01:00 PM
You might be able to find one on car-part.com. The search doesn't have the actuator specifically, but you can look at differentials and make some calls if you really want to keep the "e" function.

I took a quick peek and seems to be expensive...but I found a 1998 4Runner rear axle with e-locker for Jeep project for $675 delivered to my door.

Nay

FJBen
03-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the replies...the cable is the most cost effective rather than stealing it off my wife's 80 series lol. With my luck, I'd rather not even try to take it off of hers...I'd get it on the jackstands then... :flop:

I talked with Slee and they are going to look and see if they can find a used one that isn't spoken for.

Downey is $175.00 and you guessed it, backordered...for a few weeks is what the guy told me...hmmm.

I guess I'll have to wait a few weeks to see. If not I'll be selling my firstborn. She's a cute 4 year old, tall for her age, polite and could easily be taught to mow, wash dishes, pick weeds, wash cars, etc... :D

FJBen
03-20-2006, 02:35 PM
It appears I have an option D: or 4 ;)

SOR have used working ones for ~$300. Sound like a good option or no? At least at this point I could have a way to return the part if it didn't work, unlike some yards. Hmmmm...

Uncle Ben
03-20-2006, 03:20 PM
It appears I have an option D: or 4 ;)

SOR have used working ones for ~$300. Sound like a good option or no? At least at this point I could have a way to return the part if it didn't work, unlike some yards. Hmmmm...

Are you certain your old one cannot be rebuilt?

FJBen
03-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Are you certain your old one cannot be rebuilt?

Oh yeah, it looks as if it's been sitting on the ocean floor next to the titanic. Literally all rusted and crusty...EXTREMELY ugly...not too mention I broke the mount on the bottom two bolts. problem is you can't get any parts, just the whole unit from Toyota. :( me thinks this is gonna be $$$$

Uncle Ben
03-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Oh yeah, it looks as if it's been sitting on the ocean floor next to the titanic. Literally all rusted and crusty...EXTREMELY ugly...not too mention I broke the mount on the bottom two bolts. problem is you can't get any parts, just the whole unit from Toyota. :( me thinks this is gonna be $$$$

Ya, I found that out too after crushing the cover on a rock. The cover is now welded and JB welded back together. A mini skid plate is in the near future!

FJBen
03-21-2006, 08:36 AM
Ya, I found that out too after crushing the cover on a rock. The cover is now welded and JB welded back together. A mini skid plate is in the near future!

Hmmm...and it seems to be holding fine? Hmmm...I just don't know that I could ever clean mine enough to get all that damn rust out.

PabloCruise
03-21-2006, 10:02 AM
PB Blaster is your friend...

Soak it and give it time...

Snorkel 1
03-27-2006, 06:47 AM
I have an actuator off of a 97 LC. I have to look but I think it came off the rear. I had to replace it because the locker was not engaging. The shop thought the motor may need to be rebuilt but I have never tested it. Is there a way to test it off of the truck? Anyway, let me know if you are interested and I will get you the info you need.

Uncle Ben
03-27-2006, 07:23 AM
I have an actuator off of a 97 LC. I have to look but I think it came off the rear. I had to replace it because the locker was not engaging. The shop thought the motor may need to be rebuilt but I have never tested it. Is there a way to test it off of the truck? Anyway, let me know if you are interested and I will get you the info you need.

I'm sure he will take it but if he doesn't I will! :thumb:

FJBen
03-27-2006, 08:02 AM

COOL!!!! definitley interested! shoot me a PM or email!

thx
Ben

Uncle Ben
03-27-2006, 08:33 PM
COOL!!!! definitley interested! shoot me a PM or email!

thx
Ben

:thumb: :thumb: :cool: :cheers:

Snorkel 1
03-29-2006, 10:33 AM
I just hooked the actuator up to my LC to test it. As far as I can tell it works. The pin/shaft appears to extend and retract cleanly. I can send photos if that would help. Let me know what other infomation you would need. Thanks.

FJBen
03-29-2006, 03:45 PM
I just hooked the actuator up to my LC to test it. As far as I can tell it works. The pin/shaft appears to extend and retract cleanly. I can send photos if that would help. Let me know what other infomation you would need. Thanks.

Very cool, let me know what you want for it. It's got to be a better start than the crusty one I have!

you can hit my email at br_lowery@hotmail.com
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
thx
Ben

Snorkel 1
04-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Ben, I am just checking of you got my e-mail a few days ago. I sent some photos with it. Talk to you later.

FJBen
04-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Ben, I am just checking of you got my e-mail a few days ago. I sent some photos with it. Talk to you later.

thanks!!! I'll check that out, wonder how i missed that??? :confused:

Snorkel 1
04-07-2006, 04:46 AM
Did you find an actuator Ben? I have no need for this one now that I have sold my LC with the e-lockers. If you don't need it I will probably list it for sale or bring it to CM06 as a spare for someone.

Uncle Ben
04-07-2006, 07:08 AM
Did you find an actuator Ben? I have no need for this one now that I have sold my LC with the e-lockers. If you don't need it I will probably list it for sale or bring it to CM06 as a spare for someone.

Seth,
I am interested in it if Ben decides he doesn't want it.

FJBen
04-07-2006, 08:18 AM

Seth,

Let that one go to uncle Ben, I appreciate the offer on that one, I may have something else lined up so I don't want to hold you up any longer.

thanks again for the help! this board rawks!

Snorkel 1
04-07-2006, 07:16 PM
I would take $160 plus shipping if that works for you Ben. I reconsidered since I really have no use for it right now. Let me know otherwise I can bring it to Moab for Kevin or someone else. I think I will be in the same camp site as you Kevin.

Snorkel 1
04-13-2006, 01:26 AM
Are you still interested Kevin? I can either ship it to you or bring it to Moab so you can check it out before you buy. Talk to you later.

Uncle Ben
04-13-2006, 04:00 AM
Are you still interested Kevin? I can either ship it to you or bring it to Moab so you can check it out before you buy. Talk to you later.
YES! I'll take it. PM me your address and I'll send a check. Thank you! :thumb:

FJBen
04-13-2006, 08:11 AM
:D cool glad you found a home for it. Thanks again for the offer.

thanks
Ben

Red_Chili
04-13-2006, 08:37 AM
cable it. I was going to respond on mud, but I didn't want to deal with the responses

I have preferred the cable theory too, being a Luddite at heart, but all the feedback I have heard on the Downey unit is that it sucks and saves very little over a good used actuator. FWIW.

FJBen
04-13-2006, 11:25 AM
I have preferred the cable theory too, being a Luddite at heart, but all the feedback I have heard on the Downey unit is that it sucks and saves very little over a good used actuator. FWIW.

Thats the same thing I have heard. You have to pay almost $200.00 and it sucks...not to mention on perpetual back order...