PDA

View Full Version : Argentine Cleanup Run with Brant Wobig

subzali
06-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I've been talking with Brant and before we get too busy for the summer I wanted to get up and do a cleanup run of Argentine. I think we're required to do 2/year. So I was thinking of going on the 28th of June (the weekend after Father's Day). Can anybody commit to that? We usually meet at the trailhead at 9am (just up the hill from Georgetown). I'd like to get at least three other trucks for helping hands - I'll find out what he has in mind for stuff to do.

We might be putting together another hike-and-pack for the ATV wreckage again later this summer, if anybody is interested.

Post up if you think you can go! Argentine is a beautiful, close, easy drive/trail - if you've never been up there before this is your chance to go! And for those of you that have gone before - saddle up! :D

bh4rnnr
06-05-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm in.

I'll probably go for the whole weekend if anyone is up for some camping:beer:

theboomboom
06-05-2009, 11:08 PM
This was good fun last time, I would be up for it again.

subzali
06-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Rick - bring you dad and your brother and we've got 5 total :D

jettaglxdriver
06-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Talking to the GF to see if she is interested in something like this.

nuclearlemon
06-08-2009, 09:12 AM
I'll be on a memorial camping trip with "family". marks the weekend that "dad" died.:(

subzali
06-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Pass my regards to Kim and Dean for me (I'm assuming that's who you're going with) Ige.

nuclearlemon
06-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Pass my regards to Kim and Dean for me (I'm assuming that's who you're going with) Ige.

yep, will do

subzali
06-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Anybody else think they can come? A bunch of people have already gone up there this year, but it would be good to keep up our rep with the forest service and talk to them about current and future projects!

DaveInDenver
06-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Anybody else think they can come? A bunch of people have already gone up there this year, but it would be good to keep up our rep with the forest service and talk to them about current and future projects!
Won't know until it gets closer, but I would like to make it.

corsair23
06-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Most likely we will not be able to make it :( - That is the :Princess:'s birthday weekend. I'll try to convince her that spending the day on the trail would be a good way to spend her birthday :D

jettaglxdriver
06-15-2009, 02:07 PM
My GF was wanting to do some camping with her boys that weekend. I think were game.

It would be my cruiser with her, the 3 boys,and the black lab.

How tough is the area/trail we would be cleaning?

subzali
06-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Not very, you could take a stock Land Cruiser or Toyota 4x4 truck on it. There's only two water crossings that can be pretty deep this time of year, and potentially some snow that we will not try to go through but probably just turn around at, but other than that it's no big deal. Bring work stuff (gloves etc.) in case he wants to install some carsonite. Thanks!

jettaglxdriver
06-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Can do? What about the camping?

Beater
06-15-2009, 02:41 PM
I might be able to make this work

subzali
06-15-2009, 05:16 PM
there is lots of good camping near the base of Argentine Pass, on Guanella Pass Road (both sides), and up the trailhead for Silver Dollar Lake. Take your pick :D

bh4rnnr
06-22-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm going to have to bail on this trip, wanting to get some maint done to the runner before the 4th of July trip.

One of the hunters camp has some trash, I tried getting most of it, but didnt have enough trash bags (only had small bags with me). One of the marker signs near the Santiago mine is in need of replacment and there is a illigal road just below the mine i'd like to see closed (if your at the mine looking south, you'll see it cut across the meadow). Otherwise things are looking good and there is just a lot of snow up there:cool:

And Brant will not be on this trip as he has family in town.

Have fun!

jettaglxdriver
06-22-2009, 11:18 AM
We are still in for this trip but we are probably not going to camp up there just do the 1 day.

jettaglxdriver
06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm not going to be able to take my cruiser up anywhere until I get it running right.

Beater
06-25-2009, 07:50 AM
matt -

My son and I are probably in, but I need more details. Meeting point, group camp spot (if we are doing one, like when we work on yankee doodle lake) etc etc. I am in week 3 of 4 week knee rehab (i know, again) but I am sure I could hike a bit. I am even thinking of going up Friday night to secure a spot...

Can we get a more detail posting on this?

DaveInDenver
06-25-2009, 08:33 AM
There will be a group of Rising Sun'ers over on the south side of Guanella Pass that people could camp with. This is the ham radio section and it's the club field day on Saturday. I think Nakman and Nathaniel are going to be up there Friday night. I'm working tentatively on going up Saturday morning and camping with them, going down for the clean-up Sunday. Although I'm not sure about Guanella, I know Nak went up a week or two to scout but I don't recall if the pass was open or not.

subzali
06-25-2009, 07:03 PM
It sounded like there is still plenty of snow up there. Guanella is open.

To get to the Argentine Pass turnoff: Go up I-70 to Georgetown. Exit and follow signs to Guanella Pass. It's only about 3 miles or so once you start up the pass, there is a right hand switchback then a left hand switchback. Argentine Pass trail begins on the turnoff on the left hand switchback. We are planning at meeting at 9:00 am and then leaving at 9:30. Bring work gloves, water, rain gear, sunscreen, maybe some basic tools. The plan is to install carsonite signs up near the mine where some user-created trails have started, and we will also be replacing the poster on the big sign.

Thanks and I hope to see you there! :thumb:

subzali
06-26-2009, 12:23 PM
I will be monitoring CB4 and 146.460. See you there! :thumb:

RicardoJM
06-26-2009, 12:38 PM
I believe TheBoomBoom and I are going up and will see you there. HutHut had his wisdom teeth pulled yesterday and may not be up for the trip. This was also a topic of discussion at breakfast this morning and we may have talked CBone into making the trek as well.

Red_Chili
06-26-2009, 01:00 PM
I wish I was up to it. We were up there Father's Day... in fact, you need to put down Justin, Forrest, Carrie, and Bill Morgan for 8 hours each volunteer time. There wasn't much trash at all but we got what we saw. The water crossings were up to Radio Flyer's door sills.

Very cool area.

DaveInDenver
06-26-2009, 01:48 PM
The water crossings were up to Radio Flyer's door sills.
Think it'll be higher this weekend? This came to mind last night when I saw how high the Cherry Creek was running last night...

Red_Chili
06-26-2009, 02:03 PM
No, I don't. There has been a tremendous amount of snowmelt and I wouldn't be surprised to see it lower.

subzali
06-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks Bill, I will put you down for your time.

We've had lots of club participation on the trail this year already, so Brant should be pretty happy!

bh4rnnr
06-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Think it'll be higher this weekend? This came to mind last night when I saw how high the Cherry Creek was running last night...

Leavenworth was flowing pretty dang high last weekend, and there is still a lot of snow to melt. I avoided the crossing when I was there since I was alone...

I'm interested if you guys will be able to see my footprints in the snow (above the mine near the tailings), considering the weather this week..

CBone
06-26-2009, 09:43 PM
CBone with the entire family will probably be making it. I've got gloves obviously, is that all I need? May get Art and Crash as well?

Crash
06-26-2009, 10:18 PM
CBone with the entire family will probably be making it. I've got gloves obviously, is that all I need? May get Art and Crash as well?

Suz and I, along with the two Golden Trash Retrievers will be there. Could well be an "interesting" weather day so getting after it early could be a good thing. Anyone know what time the Grumpy Dutchman in Silver Plume opens up for business?

Crash
06-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Didn't ask if Grumpy's would be open that early, whatever time you might be thinking that may be, just wanted to know what time they would be opened. Freakin' engineers, anyway. Analyze this!!!!!

subzali
06-27-2009, 09:10 AM
I would suggest gloves, if you have them, bring safety glasses as well. Everything else they should have. I was hoping to do the river crossings - should we go up the road and then back down the powerline route to save time? One of our primary objectives will be up near the mine - installation of carsonite. We want to have that done and be on our way down by the time the thunderclouds come in, and it's faster to go up the road. IMO

Sound like a good plan?

Crash
06-27-2009, 07:34 PM
I would suggest gloves, if you have them, bring safety glasses as well. Everything else they should have. I was hoping to do the river crossings - should we go up the road and then back down the powerline route to save time? One of our primary objectives will be up near the mine - installation of carsonite. We want to have that done and be on our way down by the time the thunderclouds come in, and it's faster to go up the road. IMO

Sound like a good plan?

Yes, it does. :thumb:

Art Volmer
06-28-2009, 12:12 AM
Megan and I are going to make the clean -up trip so we will see you there.:thumb:

DaveInDenver
06-28-2009, 09:13 AM
We had a massive chores pile up in south Denver and I never got the truck prepped yesterday, so I'm out. Have plenty to do today around here anyway. Stay safe and be sure to bring your arm floaties for the creek crossings.