PDA

View Full Version : RS HAM Radio Field Day Event

Groucho
06-05-2009, 11:50 PM
OK, so I have been waiting to post this up. Now I guess is as good a time as ever.

What I have planned is to pickup the CM trailer with the tower, load all the antennas I think we could possibly use, and head up Saturday to Guanella Pass campground on Saturday, June 27th.

I will plan on getting up there by 10AM, and I will be camping overnight. If we can use the CM inspection tents, we can set them up with radios underneath, as well as the clubs 2M rig in the trailer.

I am hoping for open spaces for the CG. However, this may not be the case. I will be scoping out possible alternatives in the vicinity so that we can still do this.

I know there were a few people who wanted to camp, please sound off if you still plan on making it.

baileyfj40
06-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Which campground?

Later

Groucho
06-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Is there more than one Guanella Pass campground?

Jethro
06-07-2009, 09:26 PM
I got permission to expand my meager radio skills on this most excellent field day event.
The Guanella campground is described here:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/recreation/camping-picnicking/developed/ccrd/guanella.shtml

Groucho
06-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Coming up from 285 there are at least 3 campgrounds that I can think of along the road. There's one close to Grant, another couple of near the Abyss Lake TH and Duck Creek. Assuming you mean up high, a couple of miles below the Pass on the south side, are you thinking of the campground on the west side of the road or east? The one near Abyss Lake is called Burning Bear and the one of the west is Geneva Park.

Dave, you up for a quick pre-run to scope out a good place? Maybe this weekend?

Groucho
06-08-2009, 12:25 PM
This is the one I am talking about. Never been there (to my knowledge), so i don't know for certain.

Guanella Pass CG--Reserve America (http://tinyurl.com/nvwfbc)

corsair23
06-08-2009, 01:03 PM
I'd be in for this (and the Argentine clean up) if it weren't for the fact that it will be the :Princess:'s bday....

Have a great time and I'll try to catch you on the air from down here :thumb:

nakman
06-08-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm likely down for a scouting trip this Saturday. Also I may be into helping "reserve" a site, by way of camping on it Friday night the 26th.

Groucho
06-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Unfortunately I won't be able to do a Saturday trip, at least in the AM or early afternoon. I have a nephews B-Day party to attend at Chatfield. Maybe later in the afternoon I could meet up with those whop do Argentine in the AM, or I might try Sunday.

Convert
06-10-2009, 07:50 PM
I would love to be there but we already have plans for that weekend

nakman
06-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Alright I ran up there today. It's kind of slow going, there is a lot of construction and there are two sets of temporary stop lights, mandating one way traffic. the light cycle must be 5+ minutes, if it's red may as well shut the engine off, or fiddle with the radio or something.

the last one of these was on the way down, check out the trail damage on the Prius... :doh: It is rough at one spot from erosion just before the top of the pass, I'm sure that's where he did it.

nakman
06-13-2009, 04:50 PM
I went all the way over, then down on the Grant side until I hit Geneva Basin, then turned around. i didn't see any campground near the top on the other side. The Guanella Pass Campground was on the Georgetown side and packed- both sides of the road. On the west side was the "host" site, so it looked pretty popular, and well managed.

nakman
06-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Just above the Guanella Pass campground was another road, where there was quite a bit of primitive camping. I drove up it a bit to check it out, and there were quite a few sites, all in use though. I bet one could find one back there though, and I'd consider this place a good last resort spot. The road is a rough though, the CM trailer would likely do it, but I'm sure it'd scrape that back bumper in a couple places :hill:. There are large parking areas on both side of the road here, so this area must get a lot of hiker traffic during the day. here's the road:

nakman
06-13-2009, 04:58 PM
My recommendation is the Clear Lake campground, which is about a mile towards Georgetown from the Guanella Pass campground. It's just past that small lake with the big power stuff nearby, if you know the area.

But it was wide open at 1:00 on a Saturday, probably 1/2 full tops. Plus it had a pit toilet, some water wells, and the road around the camp was level and looked fun for small kids on bikes.

My only reservation (with any of these areas, for that matter) is 1. all the power lines, and are they going to cause any intereference? And 2 all of these camps are pretty socked in on three sides- great view all the way to Yankee Hill to the north, but steep hills on the other three sides. not sure how much line of sight will come to play when propagating... http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat3.gif

Groucho
06-22-2009, 05:59 AM
OK, so my plan is to pick up the CM trailer and head up to Clear Lake CG on Friday.

Friday will be spent setting up the couple of antennas, inspection tents and getting the radios and generator in sync to run Saturday. Saturday morning will probably start with 20M. We can tune around all day. We will only do whatever inspires people. I hope that folks who are interested can make it up for as little as an hour or overnight if they want.

As always, call-in frequency will be 146.460MhZ.

nakman
06-22-2009, 08:10 AM
I'll be up there as well later Friday, not leaving until after work but we'll still have some daylight left for chores, etc. When you pull into the place turn right, I thought the spaces at the far north were best because they seemed pretty isolated from the rest of the camp.

But my hamcentric goal for the event is to transmit outside my band at least once, riding the coat tails of others' superior licenses and equipment. Will rock the 2m as well, should be fun. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat4.gif

Hulk
06-22-2009, 11:41 AM
I was hoping to make this but I think I will be a no-go. Karie is having knee surgery on Friday.

Groucho
06-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Post up who is going to come up for a while or overnight.

I spoke with Dave Brown last night and we are set to pick up the trailer Friday morning. My hope is that we get up to the CG early enough to snake at least 2 spots where Tim suggested. Romer's generator started right up when I put gas in it yesterday. Jethro should be up with some special Ft Collins goodies Saturday. Sounds like Dave A will be up Saturday as well. Not sure if David B is coming or not, but I believe so.

Anybody else going up for a chance to make some sweet DX?

Tramontana
06-25-2009, 01:37 PM
...I am hoping to be up there sometime on Saturday, likely on my motorcycle. I'm planning to camp if I can snake some space?

Cheers!

JohnInDenver
06-25-2009, 08:11 PM
I plan on being there Saturday Morning.

John
97 Tacoma
KDODCU

Jacket
06-26-2009, 02:36 PM
That 80 may spend the rest of the summer parked.:lmao::lmao: :bowdown: :mini:

jacdaw
06-26-2009, 02:42 PM
I might come up Saturday. What time are we QRT?

Caribou Sandstorm
06-26-2009, 02:52 PM
I am also trying to make it up tomorrow. installing radio tonight! Got my call sign via Matt Far, muchos gracias Matt!

nakman
06-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Radios are already on... try RS simplex and Colorado Connection, also I think the 145 repeater can be hit from Georgetown. I'll be on the road in about an hour, monitoring two of the three...

jacdaw
06-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Last time I worked FD we did a full 24 hour run from 1000-1000 local with whatever set up time we were allowed before hand. Can't be there early enough to help set up tomorrow but I can help log QSOs or make them midday on.

Hulk
06-29-2009, 01:13 AM
Trip report?

I was busy taking care of my wife with her knee on ice all weekend.

jacdaw
04-11-2010, 03:32 PM
If the point of RS FD is to actually make a lot of QSOs, then holding our event on the actual coordinated FD weekend (http://www.arrl.org/?artid=9414) is a good idea. Guarantees lots of stations to talk to. But if the point is to simply practice setting up a remote station and hangin' out on a mountain top, any nice weekend will do.:D

bh4rnnr
04-11-2010, 08:35 PM
If the point of RS FD is to actually make a lot of QSOs, then holding our event on the actual coordinated FD weekend (http://www.arrl.org/?artid=9414) is a good idea. Guarantees lots of stations to talk to. But if the point is to simply practice setting up a remote station and hangin' out on a mountain top, any nice weekend will do.:D

I think the point is a lot of QSO's. IIRC, last year they set up shop and talked to a lot of folk. Get up high and send out signals.

:beer:

Groucho
04-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Point is to set up on top of a mountain (or just low enough to scare people because of being a big lightning rod) AND make lots of QSO's.

Got lots of polar propagation last year due to being situated in the wedge at 39.650714 LAT and -105.708448 LONG. We were only able to point the 20M beam towards the north east. Lots of Russian contacts at dusk and just beyond on the night prior to the event, and during the day we only heard FRANK in New Jersey or somewhere. Tim will remember FRANK.

I want to be able to do it again this year but up higher or at least with a better 360 view.

MDH33
05-11-2010, 11:25 AM
So is this still happening the weekend of June 26? :beer::yagi:

FJBRADY
05-11-2010, 11:29 AM
So is this still happening the weekend of June 26? :beer::yagi:

How can it??? Dr Schlegs is moving that weekend:drink:

MDH33
05-11-2010, 11:32 AM
How can it??? Dr Schlegs is moving that weekend:drink:

The reason I mentioned this event in his "moving party" thread is that it was listed on the calendar, so I assumed it was happening. If it's not, I'm sorry I posted anything. :rolleyes:

Groucho
05-11-2010, 01:22 PM
It will be.

2010 ARRL Field Day. June 25th-27th. Starts at 1800 UTC Saturday and running through 2059 UTC Sunday.

Location--TBD

Taking Location Suggestions.

Someplace to pull the popup, tent, but still be up high. Field Day is both Saturday and Sunday, and we usually setup Friday afternoon. I was thinking of some open space wilderness. Not a campground (too much of a hassle to ensure space). Somewhere near Kenosha Pass might be nice, but nothing is set yet. In the middle of South Park might be cool. It would be really cool to have the antenna parked at the top of Williams Pass and operate from the West Portal of the Alpine Tunnel. That might be a good run of Coax, but we've got Amplifiers if we want. Life's too short to do QRP, right?

MDH33
05-11-2010, 01:30 PM
It will be.

2010 ARRL Field Day. June 25th-27th. Starts at 1800 UTC Saturday and running through 2059 UTC Sunday.

Location--TBD

Taking Location Suggestions.

Someplace to pull the popup, tent, but still be up high. Field Day is both Saturday and Sunday, and we usually setup Friday afternoon. I was thinking of some open space wilderness. Not a campground (too much of a hassle to ensure space). Somewhere near Kenosha Pass might be nice, but nothing is set yet. In the middle of South Park might be cool. It would be really cool to have the antenna parked at the top of Williams Pass and operate from the West Portal of the Alpine Tunnel. That might be a good run of Coax, but we've got Amplifiers if we want. Life's too short to do QRP, right?

There are some good campsites along the road leading to Weston Pass South of Fairplay. Not sure if the pass will be melted out yet though. Browns and Breakneck passes are down there in the Southpark area too. I believe there are both campgrounds and open camping along forest roads in that area plus some mild wheeling.

There's also a pretty nice, primitive campground near Kenosha Pass (also one on top of the pass. "A" on the map) but the one I'm thinking of ("B" on the map) is off a dirt forest road just before you reach the top of the pass as you're heading West. you follow that road about 1/4 mile from 285, then there's another road to the right, follow that another 1/4 mile to the campground. Also places to camp outside the campground there. Bonus if Twin Cone is open by then.

All of the spots I mentioned are pop-up friendly too. :thumb:

wesintl
05-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Life's too short to do QRP, right?

yep yep! :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
05-11-2010, 01:42 PM
We might, might have a pop-up by then, would love to join in on some family camping and mild wheeling. Might be a quiet weekend camping wise, since it is the weekend before the 4th.

timmbuck2
05-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Chris you can always borrow my pop-up if you do not have one by then, I will be unable to make it.

leiniesred
05-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I think this is exactly where we were hoping to do the retro camping trip on June 5-6.

MDH33
05-11-2010, 03:24 PM
I think this is exactly where we were hoping to do the retro camping trip on June 5-6.

I forgot about that! :eek: :D Why isn't that run stickied or on the calander?

Groucho
05-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Man I've been trying QRP mostly and all the people with 1kW and beams just blow you away, 'specially in the city.

Somethin to be said 'bout beams...:yagi:

I made my first contact on HF with a Boy Scout Troop on the eastern seaboard. Then my next HF contact was with a Japanese HAM who just wasn't getting the "big-boy" response from Cali or the east coats. So I picked him up. Good thing for me. Got a 5-7 signal report using a butternut vertical 2' in the ground...

MDH33
05-11-2010, 11:51 PM
...Got a 5-7 signal report using a butternut vertical 2' in the ground...

Not sure what the heck that means, but that's some riotous geek speak right there. :thumb:

Groucho
05-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Not sure what the heck that means, but that's some riotous geek speak right there. :thumb:

I threw it on the GROUND!!!!
:cool:
You know it!

Vertical

Beam (YAGI)

It is easier to talk to someone using a YAGI than using a vertical simply due to the nature of the beast.

Groucho
05-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Flip side of a beam is that they have more deaf lobes both azimuth and elevation. He might not have even heard that Japanese station depending on the path. And they are big, heavy and hard to /P and /M. I'm anxious to see how this homebrew thing we're cooking up works...

Yes. However, any station that has beams will most likely have a rotator to get the correct azimuth. Beam headings from anywhere on earth are available free here (http://www.njdxa.org/dx-tools/beam-headings.php). All the rest depends on so many other factors like sunspot activity, time of day, etc. As the time of day changes, so does the path of the waves around the earth. It is amazing how signals actually do somewhat of a doppler effect. At certain times they start to come in, get real strong, and then fade.

We will (as we did last year) have a tri-band yagi to play with. Cushcraft A3S 20M-15M-10M.

Or you could try this for NVIS:

bh4rnnr
05-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Nathaniel, got a possible idea for this years Field Day event, give me a shout when you get a chance:cheers:.

CO Hunter
06-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Is this still on? I was thinking I might try to make it out there, for a bit anyway, that is if you guys don't mind a newbie hanging around asking questions.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-21-2010, 10:45 AM
So are the pics from Perry's camp site reference the same location as Guenella Pass camping area?

Seldom Seen
06-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Been trying hard to get time off to make field day happen. Looks like it's not gonna jive with our call scheules this year. I need to be with in 30 mins of the hospital. As of now I am planning on going to the CQC's Field Day site at Cherry Creek State Park and try to get some air time in. If any one wants to join in check out CQC site @ cqc.org or join in on their net tonight on 147.225.

bh4rnnr
06-21-2010, 04:10 PM
So are the pics from Perry's camp site reference the same location as Guenella Pass camping area?

Chris, the pics for reference were from the family cabin. Like dave said, it's looking to not happen. I may still go up there, but will have to see.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Nice place Perry!

Seldom Seen
06-22-2010, 03:11 PM
OK, no promises, but here's what I'm thinking; If I get out of work early enough on Fri I might try to nab a spot at Chatfield State Park campgrounds and set up a Field Day site. I'm off tomorrow so I could go over and scope out the location and make a reservation if necessary. Trying to gauge interest 'cuz setting up by my self will be dang near impossible (43' fiberglass mast). If anyone is still interested in trying to pull this off, post up so I can get an idea of how much space we'll need.
*edit*
OK, forget the camping idea, just found out Chatfield is full this weekend. Maybe a day trip on Sat?

Seldom Seen
06-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Field Day site up and running in the drive way of my QTH. 1DCO and ready to switch to 1ECO. G5RV up 45' and working good. Already have broken a few pile-ups. If any one wants to stop, by look up my call sign in QRZ or the member section. I'll try to monitor 147.225 as well. 73, KC0YRM.

Seldom Seen
06-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Work'n 40m, use 145.145

Seldom Seen
06-26-2010, 01:35 PM
10 meters is OPEN!!!!!!

Seldom Seen
06-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Life's to short for QRP

6 meters was open to TN and SoCal :-)