PDA

View Full Version : Truck running like crap today.

jettaglxdriver
06-09-2009, 10:54 AM
So yesterday I drove my 60 around all day with zero issues and today I go out to leave for work and it won't even run unless I choke it. It is a desmogged carb motor still.

What should I look at first? Fuel supply? Filter, flow etc?

Thanks

Hulk
06-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Vacuum leak?

jettaglxdriver
06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
I will have to check after I get home. I have a meeting that is running kinda late tonight and were supposed to do a famliy BBQ. SIGH

This better get fixed easily or I won't make the BOWAGWR.

jettaglxdriver
06-09-2009, 02:50 PM
OK so here is my order to troubleshoot tonight I can think of in advance.

1) Check vacuum

2) Check fuel filter

3) Check fuel delivery

Does my 83 FJ have a fuel cut off solenoid? If so that will be under step 3.
Anything else?

wesintl
06-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Does my 83 FJ have a fuel cut off solenoid? If so that will be under step 3.
Anything else?

yes. on the carb

jettaglxdriver
06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
ok then checking that solenoid is #3

Rezarf
06-09-2009, 04:10 PM
I'd check the fuel filter first...

jettaglxdriver
06-09-2009, 09:54 PM
OK here we go.

1) looked for leaking vacuum lines, sprayed started fluid around stuff after a test on an open vac port for the rpm boost from the spray and found nothing.

2) hooked vacuum gauge up to vacuum line from the manifold to the carberator and measure about 11 inches steady. Used my gauge manual then after coming inside checked my readings against this site. http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm I like this site a lot for reading a gauge. I think I am a bit on the low side which would fall under scenario 11 at the bottom of the page but when I spray with fluid to look for leaks I don't get any rpm increase.

3) I then replaced my fuel gauge. Autozone said they didn't even list it as an available part and I went back to find an inline that would work and found my exact one. LOL This still didn't help

4) I then added a can of fuel and carberator cleaner to the tank (about 3/5 of a tank of fuel in it at the time. Not any help.

5) I then did some seafoam in the carb and it smoked like a train for a few and would kinda run but when I tried to drive it the truck still stalled.

6) Reading more on my vacuum book I wondered if my low reading was an indication of retarded timing so with the gauge hooked up I clocked the disto with it idling a bit more advanced and the reading came up to about 14in Reved it a couple times and it runs pretty smooth so I tested it and it still sputters a bit but it don't stall.

7) I then drove down to the local shell (not where I got my last tank of gas 2 days ago) and filled it the rest of the way up with plus fuel from there. It drove back ok but not perfect. I wonder if I have a bad tank of fuel or bad plugs and I just cleaned them up. I had to reuse my old plugs when I had the head rebuilt about 3k miles ago because the local stores didn't carry therm. Where can I get NGK's for this thing?

I am thinking I need to get a new cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. The air filter is in good shape.

Any other thoughts?
Thanks

jettaglxdriver
06-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Just read that elevation makes the reading drop about 1 in per 1000ft so I should be about 14 if I am actually around 19 inches.

rover67
06-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Did you check for vacuum leaks around the carb base and at the head/manifold junction?

jettaglxdriver
06-09-2009, 10:55 PM
I did with the starter fluid spray.

Mendocino
06-09-2009, 11:26 PM
You need to get that thing operational; I want to see our welds on the trail...;)

jettaglxdriver
06-10-2009, 12:05 AM
**** i have been trying. I have a meeting in the morning but as soon as it's over I am leaving and geting back to work on this. I don't know if I will make it.

jettaglxdriver
06-10-2009, 07:49 AM
OK I had comp hours for this afternoon to go on the trip but I have not blown off work and called in 4 hours leave this morning to try and fix the truck. Looks like I am keeping with the spirit of the day.

Going to hit the local stores this morning looking for cap rotor plugs wires. I am also going to goto harbor freight and get a $15 timing gun to set the timing.

I am also going to tap the float part of the carb to see if it is sticking. Is the float part of the carb easy to get open and hit with some carb cleaner?

rover67
06-10-2009, 08:09 AM
MAn, i wish i knew more about desmogged carbs.. Try the ignition stuff see if it helps, it's not that expensive and you can chalk it up to a tune up anyways..

did you have to idle it up to make it run after it started running poorly? that'd lower the vacuum a bit if the motor is not running well.

jettaglxdriver
06-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Nothing setting wise changed at all. Monday all day and even in the evening it ran great. Tuesday morning wake up and drive to work and it won't even get down my street so I parked it and drove the Durango.

Then I started my above listed troubleshooting last night after work.

I just got back from car quest about 1 mile down the road. Cap, rotor, wires, and plugs will be there from the warehouse at 10am. NGK plugs BTW.

I purchased a can of spray carb cleaner and I am going to run to harbor freight for a $15 timing gun.

corsair23
06-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Keep at it :thumb:

Seems too coincidental that it started running bad after getting gas...Were you real low on gas when you filled up? Maybe stirred up the gunk in the tank? I didn't see a fuel filter on your list but maybe replace that.

Worse case scenario, bring the Durango :D - You get to wheel and the Durango can handle it. I took ours over Ophir and Imogene passes and it did fine. Well, it did ok :hill: Or just drive up to the meeting point and ride shotgun with someone :thumb:

subzali
06-10-2009, 02:21 PM
if you take the air horn off the carb you can get at the float bowl and clean it out. You can take the jet screws off the front of the carb and it should drain the float bowl (I think). Just be careful not to ding anything up when you take the airhorn off. Mine was acting similarly a while back and that's what it was; gunk in the float bowl. Then replace your fuel filter so nothing else gets through.

Sorry it took so long to answer; my memory wasn't jogged about my problem until you mentioned the float bowl...

60wag
06-10-2009, 04:41 PM
You didn't happen to put any NOS additive in the gas did you? :)

subzali
06-10-2009, 04:43 PM
:lmao::lmao:

Squishy!
06-10-2009, 05:06 PM
You didn't happen to put any NOS additive in the gas did you? :)

That stuff actually saved my truck from detonation damage when I went down to Farmington. The supercharger with the 2.1" pulley was too much at that low of an altitude.

jettaglxdriver
06-10-2009, 10:35 PM
I was not real low when I refilled the other day. It was the sinclair station at Quincey and Parker. I refilled it about 1/3 of the tank yesterday at the shell with plus grade. I put a can of B12chem tool cleaner in the tank after the problems started for the methyl ethyl keytone.

I did replace the fuel filter (first thing).

rover67
06-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Glad You Got It Running!!!

nakman
06-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Saw this today, brand new carbs for you carby folk: http://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-storefront/288499-new-f-2f-carbs-non-usa-distributors.html

subzali
06-11-2009, 07:09 PM
That stuff actually saved my truck from detonation damage when I went down to Farmington. The supercharger with the 2.1" pulley was too much at that low of an altitude.

Bruce is referring to the Humor? thread in Chat...:lmao:

jettaglxdriver
06-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Well another fill up of good gas and it's still running like crap.

Tonight I just printed off a lean drop instruction and I am going to try that tomorrow.

I set the timing today at 10deg.

I am also going to attempt Jim C's trail carb cleaning method and see it it will work.

jettaglxdriver
06-14-2009, 12:45 PM
AARRGGHH

I got it running really good after taking the carb horn off/ blowing a big wad of black sutff out of a port back into the float bowl/ and putting it all back together to only create another problem. I lost the pin and spring that go between the float and valve in the bowl so I am now flooding the stupid thing (who I am calling stupid I lost it). LOL

Please see this need post.. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?p=109691#post109691

If anyone can help I will buy ya dinner/beer/gas LOL....

Looking for an old carb I can get a part from on a Sunday. I live in Aurora but will drive unless you are bored and want to come over.

jettaglxdriver
06-14-2009, 06:35 PM
I think it's finally running right.

After screwing up and losing parts then finding them because I cleaned the carb I took the whole carb off the truck (something I will do every time now) it runs good. I still have not done the lean drop aif fuel setting yet due to not having a good digital tach I can hook up but it is 2 turns out from the bottom and running good.

I drove it around and I can just let off and idle into a stop light and not stall. When I take off it's smooth and don't jerk me all over like I just got rear ended. LOL

Thanks for ideas and support. I really think the main problem was the main wad of crap that came of out one of the jet tubes when I blasted carb cleaner through the port backwards. It then flushed back into the float bowl and out the open drain port I had removed.