PDA

View Full Version : lefthand rock crawl work day

nuclearlemon
06-15-2009, 04:01 PM
June 12, 2009
Rock Crawl Volunteers Update: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!

On June 6th we had a volunteer work day at the Lefthand Rock Crawl Route. It was a beautiful day to be working up there. Four members of Trailridge Runners 4WD Club showed up with a generator and jackhammer and two trailers. Three Forest Service employees were also there with a second jackhammer. We kept the jackhammers running all day in order to get 17 postholes dug in solid to fairly solid rock. These are the last remaining holes for the post and cable. Because I only had one volunteer signed up for Sunday and I needed to haul and install 17 posts, 1,600 pounds of concrete, 200 lbs of water, and 600 feet of cable; I decided to cancel the work day. Later I was contacted and told that there were a few more planning to come on Sunday.

Last fall we had a very good turnout when we installed around 90 posts, over 8,000 pounds of concrete, and a bunch of cable in two weekends. Right now we only have 17 more posts to install. To finish, I need volunteers AND I need those volunteers to let me know if they are coming ahead of time and if they have a vehicle that can help haul the materials up a steep high clearance road (286.1D). I will not load the posts, cable and concrete back on our rigs unless I know that someone will be there to take it up to the rock crawl. This rock crawl route can not be built or stay open without your help. How often do you get the chance to be involved with the management of a rock crawl route? Who wants to step up and help?

VOLUNTEER WORK DAYS Please RSVP! People and Vehicles.
Brian Rasmussen 303-541-2525 bdrasmussen@fs.fed.us

Saturday June 20th
This day we need about 10 to 12 people with enough vehicles to haul the materials.
Meet at Lefthand OHV Area entrance at 9:00am (CR 94 and Forest Road 286). We will need to carry 20 bags of concrete, 15 posts (60 inches long each), and 20 gallons of water up a steep high clearance road to the worksite.
We need vehicles capable of hauling people, tools and materials. Bring your own lunch and plenty of drinking water. Be sure to bring protective work equipment such as gloves, sturdy shoes, sun protection, etc.

Sunday June 21th
This day we only need 4 to 6 people: Just to help string cable.
Meet at the Lefthand OHV Area entrance at 9:00am (CR 94 and Forest Road 286). We will need to carry some coils of cable to the worksite. We will also have some hand tools to bring up. If we have time we will do some sign work in the area at the end of the day.
We need vehicles capable of hauling people, tools and materials. Bring your own lunch and plenty of drinking water. Be sure to bring protective work equipment such as gloves, sturdy shoes, sun protection, etc. We should be done by early afternoon.

These should be short work days with plenty of time to go play afterwards.