PDA

View Full Version : Gear Reduction Starter question

Air Randy
06-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm on final approach to being ready to install my new 2F. I've read about upgrading to a gear reduction style starter. Questions:

1-What is the benefit of upgrading to a GR style unit if my stock non-reduction starter seems to work OK?

2-I saw UncleBen use his starter to drag his rig over a rock he was crawling after the engine died. Is the GR unit going to do this better than the stock unit?

3-I've seen several of these for sale on MUD. How much is a new one and where do you recommend getting from? How much is a good used one worth on MUD?

Boulder Cruiser
06-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Here is a link to some info on it.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/96018-gear-reduction-starter.html

nuclearlemon
06-16-2009, 09:57 PM
If yours works fine, i wouldn't bother until it starts to fail. why pay for something that you don't really need.

Rezarf
06-17-2009, 09:44 PM
But yes, it will give you torque to move the rig without having the engine on... for that matter, with the clutch in as well... a real plus until that third leg evolves :rolleyes:

nuclearlemon
06-17-2009, 09:48 PM
regular starter will also move the rig, just not as quickly.

RicardoJM
06-18-2009, 06:52 AM
I'm not aware of any downside to making the switch. I don't know how much a new one would be from Toyota. A reman is about $100 at NAPA. Of course if you can find one in the junk yard they are $20. I've seen them priced in between these two points in the classifieds on MUD.

Rzeppa
06-18-2009, 05:52 PM
if Yours Works Fine, I Wouldn't Bother Until It Starts To Fail. Why Pay For Something That You Don't Really Need.

X2

Rzeppa
06-18-2009, 05:54 PM
regular starter will also move the rig, just not as quickly.

That is also my personal experience. In fact, I actually DROVE my 40 home the last few blocks after fuel pump failure on starter only. And that particular starter (and battery) lasted for many years after that.

Air Randy
06-18-2009, 06:44 PM
OK, thats good enough for me. My current starter not only works fine but I have a really nice spare one that came off of the 1980 FJ40. So it doesn't look like I'll be doing a GR upgrade anytime soon.

Thats why I thought I would ask and get opinions. Reading the threads on MUD everyone made it sounds like the greatest thing since sliced bread and you couldn't live without it.

Rzeppa
06-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Reading the threads on MUD everyone made it sounds like the greatest thing since sliced bread and you couldn't live without it.

LOL! There are so many web wheelers out there. That's not to say it isn't an upgrade, but it isn't one I'd go out of my way for when the non-GR one that's already in my rig is still working fine. I have over a half million miles driving, maintaining and repairing my Land Cruisers over a long period.

Yes, starter motors do wear out. The last one that went out in my 71, I stole the perfectly good used one off my resto 76 to put in there real quick, then ordered in a GR one for the resto and bolted it up. I am looking forward to using it when I get that rig driving again, but the non-GR ones work just fine.