PDA

View Full Version : My friend the Ham geek

Hulk
06-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Last week, I rode up to Cheyenne with a guy from work who is a serious Ham geek. Check out his VW Eurovan setup.

He has 3 radios mounted on the dash:

The Icom is used for D-Star.
The Kenwood is used for APRS.
The Yaesu 857 is used for voice.

nakman
06-17-2009, 05:16 PM
So many switch blanks, so few mic holders.. :rolleyes:

Bruce Miller
06-18-2009, 01:55 PM
My kind of rig, but what it comes down to is, did he have a QSO with anybody, anywhere?

Groucho
06-18-2009, 02:09 PM
So many switch blanks, so few mic holders.. :rolleyes:Looks like the R&D dept of the plastics division needs to get to work on VW stuff...

My kind of rig, but what it comes down to is, did he have a QSO with anybody, anywhere?Good propogation to the pacific...

Nice rig, HAM geek friend of Hulk. I like that voice radio...

Hulk
06-18-2009, 03:42 PM
My kind of rig, but what it comes down to is, did he have a QSO with anybody, anywhere?

We drove down from Cheyenne on Friday afternoon in the thunderstorms. He participated in a net on UHF reporting weather conditions. Other folks called out for him, so he's an active user. His call is W0RDR.

DaveInDenver
06-18-2009, 04:09 PM
His call is W0RDR.
I recognize that call, think he hangs out a lot on 147.225/145.460 even.

Caribou Sandstorm
06-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey, he was one of my testers this morning, saw his rig in the parking lot.

I passed 32 out of 35 correct.

Hopefully I will have my call sign before the field day.

The best thing is no more on line test and no more Gordo book...Although I have kind of grown to enjoy reading it...yikes..

corsair23
06-20-2009, 10:46 PM
I passed 32 out of 35 correct.

Way to go Chris :thumb:

Welcome to the tighty whitey club :D

DaveInDenver
06-20-2009, 10:59 PM
Way to go Chris :thumb:

Welcome to the tighty whitey club :D
Fo sho! I just barely passed the tech test, something like 27 of 35. I didn't even try the general at the same time. Next year you get to teach the electronics section of the ham class!

rover67
06-21-2009, 06:39 AM
sweet!!

Uncle Ben
06-21-2009, 09:13 AM
We drove down from Cheyenne on Friday afternoon in the thunderstorms. He participated in a net on UHF reporting weather conditions. Other folks called out for him, so he's an active user. His call is W0RDR.

WOW! W0RDY and W0RDR in the same car....freaky geekies! :rolleyes::doh::yagi:

Caribou Sandstorm
06-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks you guys!

The guy ahead of me, got a perfect score and was finished first, I finished 3rd out of like 10 folks..They were high fiving this guy and I was re-reading the same frickin question like 10 times...I have an office at home and when on t-cons I have to have complete concentration or I am useless..Is that old age??

I was a bit worried to take the test..I kept missing 8 or 10 off the internet test.. I thought Marco said "oh I just took it a few times and then walked in and passed no problem"...So I was worried I was a flunkie....and then after page 135 in Gordo's book, I started getting minus 3 or 4 on the test?? So it still felt like a gamble to go in there.

It was a bit testy here at the homestead leaving the wife (her front tooth fell out-waiting for implant to heel-Danny Langston 1st grade lunch pale incident finally caught up with her..TMI) with the two rug rats and the chimney stone installers coming and the painters coming..yikes..But I passed. It does feel good to set a goal and accomplish it. I feel lucky the test is easier then it used to be.

If it were my 15 year old daughter, she would have skimmed the book and got a perfect score..I am not that way..

I am looking forward to field day. I need to get this radio installed and get an antenna like jeff's.

Groucho
06-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Nice job, Chris. Now comes the fun part, learning all of the things you will use on a day-2-day basis that weren't on the test.

Field day should be a relaxing blast. At least that's what I am hoping for...

'73,

Caribou Sandstorm
06-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks Nathaniel,

I am looking forward to it! I have a ton of questions of course and looking forward to just listening how things are done in real time.

The book seems like a good reference guide for future use, still picking it up to read..

Hulk
06-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Congrats, Chris. You'll love having the power and clarity of 2 meter on our next trip. Way to go!