PDA

View Full Version : Camping Buena Vista

Bruiser
06-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good place to look for off trail camping in Buena Vista. We are headed up there on Friday and I planned on heading up the trail to Mt Antero to look for camping. Would that work? There are 4 of us so unfortunately I can't take the FJ40 so we will be in my stock Dodge Dakota. Thought we might tool around some of the trails in the area on Saturday so if you have suggestions for that, it would be appreciated (remember, stock dakota).

Thanks guys, Justin

Corbet
06-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I've camped off the road leading to Cottonwood Pass.

pmccumber
06-17-2009, 10:16 PM
There is good dispersed camping over the pass on Cottonwood Pass. Lots of it. There is also a large campground along the road, Collegiate Peaks. If you stay on the road beyond Cottonwood Lake (off Cottonwood Pass a couple miles), there is dispersed camping back there.

Good camping all along the road to Taylor Park all the way to Mirror Lake.

Campgrounds along the road to Antero, like 3 or 4 of them but no dispersed camping.

Tons of great dispersed camping all around Taylor Park.

Jacket
06-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Browns Creek is one of our favorites. Maybe 5 miles south of the junction, and then another 5 miles to the west off 285. There's a (brown) sign visible from the road that tells you when to turn right. Lots of dispersed camping, and easy access to the Colorado Trail.

Bruiser
06-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Great thanks, so it sounds like toward cottonwood pass would be best. We were hoping to go to the hot springs on Sat so if we head too far toward Talyor it will take us that much longer to get back to camp from the hot springs. Although, a coworker told me Taylor is really cool place so I will have to make a trip there for sure.