PDA

View Full Version : Anybody see the new Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T yet?

subzali
06-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Saw these in Wal Mart. Not on Goodyear's website yet - anybody seen them or know anything about them yet?

Uncle Ben
06-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Good looking tire! What is the tread wear and traction ratings?

Red_Chili
06-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Very aggressive AT! Interesting... Wouldn't rule them out even for the Chili. Hmmm...
Mileage...

DaveInDenver
06-19-2009, 03:06 PM
All these cool treads and none for the 'Lux. I really wish there was more choice in 33x10ish size tires. I know I should make the jump to 16" rims, but that's a lot of jack. I'd love to try something like these in pizza cutter type profiles!

Corbet
06-19-2009, 03:07 PM
I saw them last weekend at Wal-Mart too. Thought they looked very interesting. Nice open shoulder and sipping. Probably a good winter tire if rubber compound is not to hard.

Would be nice to get some specs on sidewall construction.

jacdaw
06-19-2009, 04:02 PM
The Goodyear dealer in Lafayette has them in stock. They're calling them a hybrid AT/MT and they're supposedly a hundred clams less than the new kevlar MTR. Sipes are full depth and they take studs as well.

I'm considering them in 235/85/16 this fall and offering my pizza cutter Yokos to Ricardo.

JadeRunner
06-19-2009, 05:05 PM
I saw someone with them in Moab. But, I thought they were the new generation MTR?

calphi27
06-20-2009, 03:40 AM
mud thread on them

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/283800-new-tire-goodyear-wrangler-authority-t.html

Corbet
06-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Sipes are full depth and they take studs as well.

I think you are thinking of the DuraTrac. I did not see any stud holes in the set I saw at Wal-Mart unless they are only on specific sizes?

subzali
06-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Here is what I found out from the Wal-Mart stuff:
Plies:
Tread: 2 Polyester + 2 Steel + 2 Nylon
Sidewall: 2 Polyester

Sizes:
31x10.50R15C
LT225/75R16E
LT235/85R16E
LT245/75R16E
LT265/75R16C
LT265/75R16E
LT245/75R17E
LT265/70R17C
LT265/70R17E

Rezarf
06-20-2009, 11:05 AM
I looked at them the other day when at Wally World, looked like they were pretty aggressive for an AT, but I have to say, I LOVE MY MTRs, I know some don't but mine have been an overall excellent tire and have worn well.

Red_Chili
06-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Well crappola. Guess I shoulda sprung for 16" beadlocks. Gonna take quite a bit to separate me from the 15" world, though I can see the eventual writing on the wall.

DaveInDenver
06-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Well crappola. Guess I shoulda sprung for 16" beadlocks. Gonna take quite a bit to separate me from the 15" world, though I can see the eventual writing on the wall.
I also checked out those DuraTrac tires Corbet linked. Just three 15" sizes I saw.

Rezarf
06-20-2009, 12:03 PM
15's for life!

jacdaw
06-20-2009, 03:16 PM
I think you are thinking of the DuraTrac. I did not see any stud holes in the set I saw at Wal-Mart unless they are only on specific sizes?You may be right.:o

Corbet
06-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Those DuraTrac's are high on my list of "winter" tires as the stud and sipping combo looks pretty appealing. However the Terra Grapplers still lead the price/value department.

Doesn't matter much until I get a lift and move up to 35's anyway:rolleyes:

Hulk
06-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Hard to believe those are ATs. Wonder if they'll add some 15" sizes as the tires start selling.

mike 303
06-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Wonder if they're going to produce anything larger then a 31''

subzali
06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm kinda wondering if any corners were cut in quality of construction, seeing as they are only available at Wal-Mart? Makes me kinda suspicious...

Probably going to go with Toyo A/T or Nitto Terra Grappler A/T for the Tundra...

DaveInDenver
06-23-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm kinda wondering if any corners were cut in quality of construction, seeing as they are only available at Wal-Mart? Makes me kinda suspicious.
Why would you think that? They have the Goodyear name on them so I would expect they'd want to protect their brand reputation. Are they going to be Wally World only or just limited availability at the moment? Any idea where they are made? BFG also has exclusive Wal-Mart tires, right?

subzali
06-23-2009, 02:22 PM
http://forum.ih8mud.com/4426885-post11.html

you may or may not believe what he says...(that's from the link that was posted on the first page of this thread)

Red_Chili
06-23-2009, 02:43 PM
I dunno. Most of Wally World's competitiveness comes from logistics efficiency. Go get an MBA or MSIS and you'll do lots of case studies on it.

Well... that, and draconian negotiating tactics...

Nay
06-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Well... that, and draconian negotiating tactics...

You mean the "We're going to spend $200B this year in our supply chain, if you want in, it's going to be exactly like this..." tactic? :D

DaveInDenver
06-23-2009, 03:47 PM
You mean the "We're going to spend $200B this year in our supply chain, if you want in, it's going to be exactly like this..." tactic? :D
And manufacturers are perfectly welcome to opt out if they don't want to sell through Wal-Mart, aren't they? Don't misunderstand, I think they are a major anti-competitive force in the market and often avoid them. But assuming they were to play fair (which they don't, for example minimum wage laws that they advocate despite paying significantly more then minimum themselves), they are within their rights to demand suppliers to do or not do anything.

Red_Chili
06-24-2009, 09:55 AM
That would be the one.

Along with the, "Mr. Politician, we have a large political contribution to make to those who support the rezoning + city land purchase + going back on open space + looking the other way on water quality from the parking lot drainage + ignoring traffic safety studies on the most dangerous road in the front range, that we need to build our new store in Littleton. Know anyone who would be a candidate for that contribution?"

Perfectly within their rights to do that too, I suppose. Someone may argue that I am within my rights to bribe a judge. Pretty much the same thing.

Maddmatt
06-26-2009, 03:24 PM
http://forum.ih8mud.com/4426885-post11.html

you may or may not believe what he says...(that's from the link that was posted on the first page of this thread)

In a past life I've sold product into Wal-Mart - on the Sams club level (and a couple other major national chains) - in my experience what he says is exactly right. As a supplier if you go down that road they own you, they will tell you how much the product is going to cost, and you either sell to them or you don't. It's very hard to walk away from 7+ figures on the table, so you make what at first seem to be little changes (nobody sees the inside anyway....) the next thing you know you're delivering a substandard product with your name on it. Nobody feels good about it, but that's how it goes. All the major chains do this on some level, but in my experience Walmart is the worst.

I actually tried to stop the process with another national chain (locally based so I'll keep their name out of it) and for two years provided reports to my company ownership that warranty claims and chargebacks were costing us more than the gross profit we made on the sales. Nobody ever disagreed, but nobody was willing to walk away from several hundred thousand units of production.

My experience was in sporting goods, but I'm willing to bet it happens on every sku. Why else would the Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer I bought at Lowes have to be replaced twice (each!) within the first year of ownership. We finally pushed the warranty issue all the way back to Whirlpool, and without admiting anything they sent a non Lowes warranty guy from a high end retailer to look at them, who just laughed and replaced them from his stock. No problems in the three years since. The switches immediately felt "better", the doors closed more solidly, etc... Obviously different products, but carrying the same brand and model names.

Or, in shorter terms, I won't shop at Walmart because I've sold to Walmart. No way my family is riding on tires from there.

The least offensive chain (again, in my experience only, based on selling in): Costco.