PDA

View Full Version : Right side up.

jettaglxdriver
06-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Wish me luck. Tomorrow morning at 9:00am I will be at Chatfield for my intro to Kayaking course. Hopefully I can get the roll down quickly and start having some fun.

subzali
06-19-2009, 04:13 PM
I did that in college. I was able to do the hand roll but couldn't get the paddle roll down. Maybe someday I'll try to learn again...

60wag
06-19-2009, 04:54 PM
They will tell you that the roll Is all in your hips but you will think it's in your arms and paddle. They are right, it is in your hips. Take your time and don't rush the roll, hang out upside down and get setup befor you roll.

jettaglxdriver
06-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Cool TY for the tips. I have been watching youtube videos that describe it but until I am under water I won't really know the feel of what it takes.

jettaglxdriver
06-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Well I survived. ;)

I can tell you I have perfected my boat exit LOL. I was in the water more than any other boater there but hey I stayed calm and worked on what I was trying to achieve.

As for my C to C roll. I was getting set up pretty well and pausing while under to prep for the sweep. My gut stops me from having better reach when in forward position (really should do something about that), my sweep was getting pretty good, but then when I'd try to put it all together my hip snap would suck. I know I will get it I just need more practice to put together a good starting position, sweep, brace then hip snap.

I have muscles hurting right now I have never felt before. LOL

Three Wheel Ben
06-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Once you get it, it is nearly impossible to screw up. You just have to get the right muscle motion and then you'll wonder how you had such a hard time with it.

I took a class years ago. Perfected the roll in a swimming pool. Our final test was to roll in a 33 degree lake, still water. That adds a whole new angle. Slurpee brain freezes are nothing compared to that.

Keep at it.

theboomboom
06-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Have a good set of nose plugs if you plan on getting into anything serious, and make sure to ALWAYS HAVE YOUR GRAB LOOP OUTSIDE YOUR SKIRT!!! Congratulations on getting your roll down :thumb:

60wag
06-21-2009, 05:58 AM
I had a great lesson myself yesterday. I paddled Clear Creek from tunnel 1 down into the play park in Golden. A friend from work, who is a strong kayaker, kept me from doing anything really stupid. Actually I did manage some some stupid stuff but came through it ok. What a blast.

jettaglxdriver
06-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Rule 1. Live to Kayak another day. HEHE

Yeah in the class everytime we would get in the boat the instructor was good about reminding people to check their grab loop.

I am sure it is an easy and repeatable motion once you get it down I just have to put the right motions together. Head down, start position, sweep up with hand below but sticking out of water, brace and hip snap, head comes over last and slow.