PDA

View Full Version : step by step bed bob. 12"

TIMZTOY
06-21-2009, 10:28 AM
well i'll start by saying i know that there are several posts on various diffrent web sights about bobbing a bed.. and i relized that none of them really went into detail about the small stuff.. like measurments, were, how much, exc.. so i thought that i'd TRY and do a post with more details instead of the usual " this is my truck, this is my truck after cutting, this is it all welded back togther"
so here we go.. mind the typo's

TIMZTOY
06-21-2009, 10:30 AM
and some more

TIMZTOY
06-21-2009, 10:31 AM
more

TIMZTOY
06-21-2009, 10:38 AM
more steps 15-20

actually after doing all the cutting .. i reccomend measuring at liest 1" to 1-1/2" from the spot weld A location because the cut was right on the cross member. and was kinda difficult to place a flush scrap under the bed to take up some of the gap made by using a cut off wheel.. i had to use a cut off wheel because the spare tire cross member was only 1/2" below the bed floor

TIMZTOY
06-21-2009, 10:40 AM
steps 21-25

TIMZTOY
06-21-2009, 10:49 AM
sorry about all the dame typos in the photos.. i just noticed them.. (boy i feal stupid)

not done but looking good.. i ended up not using the stock bumper because it didnt fit quite how id like it to , and a friend offerd to buy it for 60 bucks, so ill sold it and will be using a 2x4 1/4" rectangler tube that will wrap around the sides.. for the bottom seam. i gound it smooth and filled it with fast and firm seam sealer which worked perfectlly.. remember ill also be spraying in 1/4" line-x bedliner.

TIMZTOY
06-21-2009, 10:51 AM
thats all the pics that i have for today.. ill take a pic of the inside of the bed after the seam sealer.. and i have not finshed the outside body work yet.. because ive been working on shortening my bed rack.. actually the bed rack was harder to do than the bed bob.. :lmao:

jettaglxdriver
06-21-2009, 02:53 PM
That is pretty awesome. The truck has a similar silhouette to a full size short bed pick up.

TIMZTOY
06-21-2009, 03:02 PM
yea, its not even finshed, but it dose look quite good. and gets alot of looks..just about everyone who see's it dosent even know what i did to it, they just know that somthing is diffrent. the notice the spare tire sticking out but dont notice the seam.. hell i havent even done any body work yet.. it is alot smother than what i have posted.. iv'e spent some time grinding it down and leveling it out.. but no bondo yet:hill:

farnhamstj
06-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Sick.

ElliottB
06-21-2009, 06:39 PM
I bet yota owners are really going to appreciate all of the time and details that went into posting all of this. It's going to look so much better with the SAS and some beefier tires. Good luck!

TIMZTOY
06-21-2009, 06:48 PM
it did take some time.. thanks.

sas is in the works.. i already have a complete 85 solid axle and a top shift gear t-case.. im still debating between a trailgear sas kit, with a FROR sas brackets.. because there kit is the most complete. or a triangulated 4-link. which i have NO experance in.. i tried "ians" 4link pdf file. but still apears alittle much.. my truck is a daily driver, and i dont have a garage.. i have a spare bay at work. but dont want my truck stuck there for weeks on end.

my taco is a pre-runner if anyone didnt notice

corsair23
06-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Wow :eek:

I can't even convince myself to cut a hole for a snorkel :D

Looks great and I bet a LOT of folks will appreciate the time and effort you spent detailing it all out :thumb:

nakman
06-22-2009, 08:43 AM
That was an enjoyable read, thanks! And looking forward to seeing the finished product..

DaveInDenver
06-22-2009, 08:51 AM
And here I'm always cussing that there's never enough room in my bed as it is! Crap with red flags always hanging out the back. LOL!

Hulk
06-22-2009, 11:37 AM
That's a great job and a really detailed write-up. Thanks for posting this!!

TIMZTOY
06-22-2009, 12:24 PM
thanks guys.. i cant wait to attend my first meeting.. and the red rags... thats what the roof rack for.. :thumb: i can fit a full 4'x8' sheet b4 hanging off the rack.. and have carried 24' sticks of steel no prob.. so i actually doubled my carrying capasity and gained better exit clearance.. at the same time... along with WAY eaiser parking... and looks :D

Red_Chili
06-22-2009, 01:10 PM
And here I'm always cussing that there's never enough room in my bed as it is! Crap with red flags always hanging out the back. LOL!
That's why the Chili has never gotten bobbed. Cool as it would be... I wouldn't be able to sleep in the back any more.

Great write up, no worries on the spelling and such!

DaveInDenver
06-22-2009, 01:41 PM
That's why the Chili has never gotten bobbed. Cool as it would be... I wouldn't be able to sleep in the back any more.

Great write up, no worries on the spelling and such!
Yessir, I think the bobbed trucks look unique and obviously help departure, so different strokes. My 'Nest would not fit a bobbed bed, it would be tough to carry dirt on a roof rack, blah, blah. Really cool to see how it's done, though!

mike 303
06-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Looks good but I def let out a huge "ummmmf" when I scrolled down far enough to see this was a newer model Taco. Phewwwww ( =

Ok so the ummmf may have came out wrong.... It was meant to be a wintse or something to see a newer taco getting the chop

TIMZTOY
06-22-2009, 04:58 PM
from this point it will be a week or 2 b4 any major changes.. i might do some bondo work, but highlly doubt it because i hate body work.. :beer:

timmbuck2
10-07-2009, 03:00 PM
That was an enjoyable read, thanks! And looking forward to seeing the finished product..

FYI, the finished product will be at the meeting tonight. :)

TIMZTOY
02-04-2010, 09:56 PM
at the meeting yesterday my wife was telling me that she was getting alot of attention about my bed bob that i did on the taco.. and that there was some questions that she didnt have ansqwers to so i thought i post a fresh post to bring this bact to the front of the forum for those few people... i wasnt there but i belive one of the people asking was jeff zepp along with like 4 or 5 other ppl.. any other ? feal free to ask