PDA

View Full Version : Fathers Day Spring Creek Run

mtnrunner
06-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Well, I almost made it. Thanks to those that stopped by the side of the road to help. There are a great group of Toyota enthusiasts on this board and I appreciate your attempt to help.

My brother came up and we towed the truck back to my house. I could hear all kinds of abnormal humming of the fuel pump. I bought a new Carter fuel pump and filter and installed it today and it seems to run great again.

I hope to catch the next run with you guys and thanks again for your help :thumb:

Mark

JadeRunner
06-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Sorry you couldn't make it Mark. I saw your sweet pick up briefly as I sped by before the main group. It must have been just after your pulled over because your hood wasn't up and I wasn't sure what the deal was or if you were even in our group. Glad it's running now. Sorry I didn't stop.

JadeRunner
06-21-2009, 09:01 PM
It was a great day on the trail with the kids on Father’s Day. Thanks for leading Jeff. We only had about 7 rigs and everyone was built and experienced so we made it to the to the top just after 2pm or so. Not too many people on the trail either. Everyone made it through the obstacles real well.

The Rock Garden was slightly easier IMO. It wasn’t all dug up by hundreds of rigs yet and was quite fun. Zepp took the rock garden for the first time in a while and had a good time with it. It was a bit slippery with the previous rains so it was hard to keep your line. He slipped off his line several times and got hung up and had to winch once. It was fun seeing him romp “Charlotte” through there though. I was able to crawl through slow enough to stay on my lines for the most and made it pretty clean. Good fun!

I guess I don't know how to insert captions ahead of each picture. Oh well. And thanks for taking to video of me in the garden Marco. I'll have to re-size it down and post it.

mtnrunner
06-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Great Pics. I'll be at the next one!

Rzeppa
06-21-2009, 10:07 PM
It was indeed a fun run, no breakage, no rolls, everyone made it safe and sound, that's all good!

With only 7 rigs, well prepared, and good drivers and no trail traffic to speak of we made excellent time. Rock Garden by noon (which is always the good goal for timing) and back to I-70 before too much traffic. Scott led us out a different way I have never been on which took us to the I-70 service road just upstream from Idaho springs which saved a bunch of time. Thanks Scott! And he goaded me on to going straight through the garden. More on that later.

Due to the recent rains there was considerable mud (by Colorado standards) to slick up our tires for the rocks. But first some photos:

First is Scott coming up the first obstacle:

Rzeppa
06-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Here's Marco making his move in his V8J60. I was trying to get some shots on the portrait view that might make it to the cover of Toyota Trails, but the composition here wasn't working in terms of cropping off the botom of his tires.

Rzeppa
06-21-2009, 10:16 PM
I had the same tire cropping issue in this shot of Mike in his 80.

Rzeppa
06-21-2009, 10:18 PM
This is just kind a cool shot of US40 snaking it's way up through the town of Empire.

Rzeppa
06-21-2009, 10:21 PM
When Scott talked me into going through the garden, I handed my camera and ask him to spot me. He took a number of shots, and here's one of them.

Rzeppa
06-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Right about here is where I got good and stuck. No matter which line you planned to take, the sticky mud seemed to twist me around to a line that wasn't working. I did manage to get up onto that rock, only to slip sideways and land squarely on anything but tires.

Rzeppa
06-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Out came Mr. Warn and on we go!

Rzeppa
06-21-2009, 10:27 PM
This is what I was hung up on:

AxleIke
06-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Nice pics!!!

Wow, the rock garden has been stacked! Nice work on all who drove through. Looks like Jeff was having a blast!

subzali
06-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Oy! Glad there was no breakage of pinions or other items! Good run!

jacdaw
06-22-2009, 12:07 AM
By this time next year I really hope to at least have a TAD in my rear end so I can join y'all for FDR'10. Love all the pix. Almost asked to ride shotgun with one of you, but we ended up having a nice picnic in Eldo Canyon with a great view of the climbers.

rover67
06-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Had a blast once again! Thanks Jeff for leading the trip! Thanks Scott for the spots!

first shot, looks like I'm trying to pull Jeff's rig out! Second the group at the top.

It was slimey with all the fresh mud, but nice that we seemed to hit relativelt fresh trail. Looks like it hasn't had a chance to get dug out yet too badly which made it easier to negotiate the rock garden. I was stocked to make it untill i got hung on one rock at the very end..

Mark, sorry we couldn't get it figured out and have you with us.. sounds like you've got it now though. Now you've got to come on the next run!!

Thanks for all the pics and great company!

FJBRADY
06-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks, Jeff for leading the way....very fun trail!!!!

FJBRADY
06-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Now for some pictures....

nakman
06-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Neat pics! Good to see you all had a great time, I was thinking about you as I mowed my dad's lawn... :)

Marco, where are your gloves? :)

Tch2fly
06-22-2009, 08:19 AM
What a great way to spend Father's day :D, Drew and I had a awesome time:cheers:

Thanks to Jeff for leading us in and Scott for showing me a new way out.:thumb:

FJBRADY
06-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Few more....

rover67
06-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Neat pics! Good to see you all had a great time, I was thinking about you as I mowed my dad's lawn... :)

I know I know!!

I need to remember to just put them in the seat next to me so I always have them handy. they are always packed away and that never does any good..

JadeRunner
06-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Nice pics!!!

Wow, the rock garden has been stacked! Nice work on all who drove through. Looks like Jeff was having a blast!

It didn't look look it had been stacked much. It just didn't have the giant dug out holes we are used to seeing.

Uncle Ben
06-22-2009, 09:14 AM
It didn't look look it had been stacked much. It just didn't have the giant dug out holes we are used to seeing.

It definitely has been stacked! At least compared to a week ago!

AxleIke
06-22-2009, 10:13 AM

I see a bunch of rocks stacked in all of the rock garden pictures, filling all the dug out holes. That's what I was going from there.

JadeRunner
06-22-2009, 10:36 AM
I see a bunch of rocks stacked in all of the rock garden pictures, filling all the dug out holes. That's what I was going from there.

Well I stand corrected I guess. Pictures don't lie. Perhaps Keven stacked them.:hill:

rover67
06-22-2009, 10:42 AM

Probably the only reason I made it through :)

Red_Chili
06-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Well, first Spring Creek run I've missed in a while... and I see the minitruck contingent was not well represented, so I am responsible!!

We did catch a couple of you via CB as my boys and wife were taking me up to Argentine for a Father's Day trip to try out the new knee in alpine conditions.

If I can heave-ho on Chili repairs it won't be long now before I am back in action!!

Uncle Ben
06-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Well I stand corrected I guess. Pictures don't lie. Perhaps Keven stacked them.:hill:

"Keven" definately moved some around but the ones I moved are a little bigger than your 33's so I wouldn't call it "stacking" per sei...:rolleyes: :D

Nay
06-22-2009, 12:43 PM

The line up the middle that I took a week ago is completely stacked at the most difficult spot...because I slipped off the line and got pinned in. It "was" all dug out by yours truly, now it is filled in by fine folks helping get me back out :hill:

Fortunately no pictures or videos have yet emerged of this event :D

JadeRunner
06-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I saw some nice YouTube videos of you guys. The ones where Kevin couldn't get "hooked up" or something like that.

The line up the middle that I took a week ago is completely stacked at the most difficult spot...because I slipped off the line and got pinned in. It "was" all dug out by yours truly, now it is filled in by fine folks helping get me back out :hill:

Fortunately no pictures or videos have yet emerged of this event :D

JadeRunner
06-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Yea we missed you Bill. Jeff and I looked at the large ledge\rock on the left in the garden and thought of you crawling over it. We did have an old runner on 38's come out behind us. But, he certainly wasn't shinny and red.

Well, first Spring Creek run I've missed in a while... and I see the minitruck contingent was not well represented, so I am responsible!!

We did catch a couple of you via CB as my boys and wife were taking me up to Argentine for a Father's Day trip to try out the new knee in alpine conditions.

If I can heave-ho on Chili repairs it won't be long now before I am back in action!!

Uncle Ben
06-22-2009, 03:45 PM
I saw some nice YouTube videos of you guys. The ones where Kevin couldn't get "hooked up" or something like that.

Yup....6 psi wasn't low enough.....once I dropped to 2-3psi the new stiff sidewals started to act a little softer. :rolleyes: :beer2:

Rzeppa
06-22-2009, 05:06 PM

With synth rope it's not as big of a deal - no pokey strands of GAC to puncture your skin. I wore gloves but that's mainly out of habit.

On the recovery itself one suggestion was to strap me backwards off the high-center, but then I'd still be dealing with getting past the initial spot, and my thinking was to get past it and move on. As it turned out the whole session was probably under 10 minutes. All of us were past the Rock Garden, had lunch and were moving again in under an hour.

The greasy mud in the tires made for some interesting non-intended lines :-)

Rzeppa
06-22-2009, 05:08 PM

There had been some stacking at a few spots here and there, I remember commenting on it.