PDA

View Full Version : My first bling...

corsair23
06-22-2009, 11:39 PM
I'm pretty sure these are my first "bling" mods to the LX :) - Aside from the stickers, every mod I've done to date has been functional/necessary...After seeing Nakari's 80 with the clear lenses though, I had to have me some of them :D - It will look better after I pick up a pair of the clear ARB lenses from Tim to complete the transformation but until then....

Not sure I'm sold on the corner/parking lamps yet...The LX OEM versions are already sort of clear with just a bit of orange so we'll see if the bling ones stay or not...

EDIT: Another first for me is that these didn't age on a shelf like a fine wine and actually got installed...They arrived on Friday and I installed them on Saturday while I was changing the oil...Nice cool day to work in the garage

Before...

After...

nakman
06-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Jeff that looks 1000x better! :thumb: yes, you need the clear ARB's though.. :bolt:

jacdaw
06-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Looks good Jeff. Now spring for a pair of mirror coated amber bulbs.

nuclearlemon
06-23-2009, 12:21 AM
i'd be interested in the oem lexus corner lamps if they'll work. they're nicer than my definitely orange toyota ones. ;)

treerootCO
06-23-2009, 08:46 AM
That how it starts.... :hill: ....Two words, Reno 7-11....you are almost there:thumb:

nakman
06-23-2009, 09:13 AM
i'd be interested in the oem lexus corner lamps if they'll work. they're nicer than my definitely orange toyota ones. ;)

That's what I run, I like them better than the all orange ones. :)

http://www.gamiviti.com/images/clear_lens1.jpg

And hey, you've got an ARB too, don't ya! :D :D

corsair23
06-23-2009, 12:13 PM

I'll let you know...But I think they'll probably end up on the :Princess:'s 80 if they don't make it back on the LX - She was already asking me where her clear lenses were :hill:

corsair23
06-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Looks good Jeff. Now spring for a pair of mirror coated amber bulbs.

:eek: - looks like the mirror coated amber bulbs are almost as much as the lenses

jacdaw
06-23-2009, 01:15 PM
:eek: - looks like the mirror coated amber bulbs are almost as much as the lenses$25/pair at bavarian auto (http://bavauto.com).:grinpimp:

corsair23
06-23-2009, 04:08 PM
$25/pair at bavarian auto (http://bavauto.com).:grinpimp:

The lenses (for the blinkers) were only ~$31 shipped :hill: - Cheapies from Taiwan by a company called Depo (http://www.depo.com.tw/business_policy.htm). As a bonus though they sent me a set of side marker/blinker lights for a BMW 7 series :confused:.

That said, I sort of like the amber "glow" from behind the clear lense look.

jacdaw
06-24-2009, 07:40 AM
The lenses (for the blinkers) were only ~$31 shipped :hill: - Cheapies from Taiwan by a company called Depo (http://www.depo.com.tw/business_policy.htm). As a bonus though they sent me a set of side marker/blinker lights for a BMW 7 series :confused:.

That said, I sort of like the amber "glow" from behind the clear lense look.

Score! eBay those suckers. heh heh

corsair23
06-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Score! eBay those suckers. heh heh

I was going to show them to Nakman...I bet he can show me a way to use them :D - I was thinking of incorporating them into the wings of the ARB - bling bling baby

corsair23
08-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Finally finished up my blingafication today :D

I must say the clear lenses really change the look of the front...I also discovered that those ARB lights are not very water proof. AFAIK I've never driven through deep water so they haven't been submerged but the amount of rust on the inside was :eek: - We'll see if they last another year or two with my remidiation efforts...

Oh, and my LX is now officially (although probably not legally) an 8-seater :D - added a middle seat belt to the 3rd row seats. I'm one of those rare owners that actually uses the 3rd row seats. $15 belt from a parted out truck, $3.25 in hardware, 15 minutes of my time (10 of that overthinking the install :hill:) and voila!

nakman
08-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Awesome Jeff! That's a cool idea on the seat belt, I'm sure it's every bit as strong as the others... what lucky friend gets to ride middle in the way back? Hey if you want to try a shoulder belt I've got one you can play with...

corsair23
08-24-2009, 10:54 AM
... what lucky friend gets to ride middle in the way back? Hey if you want to try a shoulder belt I've got one you can play with...

Surprisingly enough, hip room in the 3rd row is pretty much the same as the middle row...I sat there with the :Princess:s on either side and it didn't feel cramped at all. Mostly though, it will be for when we haul a bunch of kids to soccer etc.

As for strength, I have no doubt it will be just as strong. As I understand it, up until '95 (maybe '93 or '94) Toyota had a center seat belt in the third row. All that is needed beside the seat belt are slightly longer bolts. You could probably get away without using longer bolts but I didn't. New 1.25" grade 8 bolts, flat washer, and lock washer and done. A mod that even I could handle pretty easily :hill:

I don't even know whether in Colorado rear seat occupants must wear seatbelts now? We just always wear them and now if someone sits back there in the middle they are that much safer being belted in. Just as safe as they would be in the center row anyway...

Red_Chili
08-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Do any other minitruck and FJ40 folks find this whole 80 obsession just a little bit ... disturbing?

:grinpimp:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Uncle Ben
08-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Do any other minitruck and FJ40 folks find this whole 80 obsession just a little bit ... disturbing?

:grinpimp:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Not at all! Cruisers come in all shapes and sizes and they all ROCK! ;) :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::kevin::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::zilla:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::flop:

corsair23
08-24-2009, 01:03 PM

I guess when you start with something that is so AWESOME right out of the gate and requires so little work to make is even AWESOMER (technical 80 term :)), all you have left is the bling bling :hill:

Uncle Ben
08-24-2009, 01:09 PM
I guess when you start with something that is so AWESOME right out of the gate and requires so little work to make is even AWESOMER (technical 80 term :)), all you have left is the bling bling :hill:

Tru dat! :thumb::thumb: :beer2: Like this thread is awesomer now that the mini contingent find it disturbing! 80+bling = :woot: :woot: mini+bling=:flamingo:

:eek::bolt: