PDA

View Full Version : JT outfitters engine rebuild kit?

jettaglxdriver
06-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on this kit?

$700
http://www.jtoutfitters.com/land-cruiser-motor-rebuild-p-3422.html

If my head is still good and I need to get into the block I guess I can pull it, send it to Gunn have them tell me the sizes of pistons, rods, and bearings I need to order the JT kit to and get it all together.

nuclearlemon
06-24-2009, 09:39 AM
i have my own reasons for hating jto, but you might want to do a search on mud to see what others have to say about that company.

jettaglxdriver
06-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Whoa I see what you mean (just did some searching).

60wag
06-24-2009, 11:45 AM
I've had some ok dealings with JTO some years ago. There is a lot of hate for JTO on MUD. If you can find what you want elsewhere, you might improve your odds of a smooth transaction. If you can get them to confirm on the phone that the kit has what you need and is in stock, I'd take the risk.

nuclearlemon
06-24-2009, 12:46 PM
If you can get them to confirm on the phone that the kit has what you need and is in stock, I'd take the risk.

but can you get them to confirm that the product they're selling isn't crap;)

Mendocino
06-24-2009, 01:00 PM
C'mon Ige: tell us how you really feel...

but can you get them to confirm that the product they're selling isn't crap;)

jettaglxdriver
06-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Well looking back I have made one JToutfitters purchase. It was for a black shift knob for my FJ60. Turns out it was a crappy Mr. Gasket universal one that would not mount to the shifter for ****. It was all loose and moved all over because it only tightens with a set screw.

Hulk
06-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Back in 2003, I bought their PS bracket for my 40. It was fine, and still performs its intended function. Never have dealt with JTO otherwise.

jettaglxdriver
06-24-2009, 05:06 PM
So I called Gunn (should have just done this first).

I asked them about a typical short block rebuild cost for my 2F. I was quoted about $500 in machine work and $500 for parts which is the engine rebuild kit (gaskets, oil pump, bearings, pistons, rings, freeze plugs, etc) they also have the master engine rebuild kit avail for $900 which has the previous stuff plus timing gears, cam, lifters, and some misc. He didn't know why the master kit was so much more for the listed parts. Does anyone know why? They said it would be about a 2 week turn around once they received the engine. I would have to assemble the parts when they were done but the pistons and rods would be assembled and mic'd.

Air Randy
06-24-2009, 05:37 PM
I have bought tons of stuff from JTO and never had a problem with it. They've also been very good about accepting returns of items I want to exchange.

That said, I have also done the comparison of a JTO master over haul kit versus getting all of the parts from Gunn. I know Phil Gunn and I know he gets quality parts and he will make sure the bearings and pistons are the correct size for the machine work he does, etc.

I just had Gunn do complete machine work for me on a 2F. All of the machine work and complete overhaul kit was $1200. This did not include a replacement cam or lifters since I chose to buy an RV cam and lifters from another vendor.

I thought it was an excellent price for quality components and I knew I could quickly exchange a component if I found a defect with anything. It was virtually the same price as doing it through JTO so it was an easy decision to buy locally.

corsair23
06-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Don't forget about Jesse over at http://www.atlr.net/

Not sure if he does 2F work but seems folks on the board highly recommend him :thumb:

60wag
06-25-2009, 06:37 AM
2 tips for rebuilding a 2F:

1. Make sure the brass oil nozzle that sprays the timing gears isn't threaded into the front cover too far. I'll keep the front cover plate from sealing against the block properly.

2. Make sure the flat head screws that secure the front cover plate to the block are properly tightened and staked in place. When one comes loose and falls into the brand new set of timing gears, it'll ruin your day.

jettaglxdriver
06-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Good tips for sure. ty

Rzeppa
06-25-2009, 07:23 PM
2. Make sure the flat head screws that secure the front cover plate to the block are properly tightened and staked in place. When one comes loose and falls into the brand new set of timing gears, it'll ruin your day.

LOL! I bet that might come with the disclaimer "Don't ask me how I know"!

Rzeppa
06-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Seriously, I have had one transaction with JTO, bought a non-USA distributor, no issues whatsoever. But I would also say that if a local vendor sells the same or better, I'd go for that. Years ago, Pac-Lift (Pacific Lift) was the go-to vendor for 2F rebuild parts. No idea if they are still around. They are out of CA IIRC.

And while SOR may be pricey, they have an excellent reputation for good quality and good customer service. I bought my bearings and rings from them when I refreshed my F a couple years ago, and have bought a zillion other things from them.

Rezarf
06-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Everyone has opinions, I have never had bad dealings with JTO, but their parts leave something to be desired in the quality department. I got burned by SOR... so for me= never again. MAF, is my choice when Kurt doesn't have it at Cruiser Outfitters.

As for rebuilding the engine, the 2f isn't too bad once you get it back from the machine shop... in fact, I had a lot of fun rebuilding mine.

Look forward to your progress- are you going to mill the head to bump up the compression a bit?

Drew

jettaglxdriver
06-26-2009, 12:59 PM
I wasn't planning on do anything to this head but making sure it is still ok. It was just rebuilt 3000 miles ago by Gunn and they had to mill it some to get it straight and clean. I don't know how much though.