PDA

View Full Version : Wild Flower Drive/Hike

rover67
06-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Where's your favorite spot?

My parents are coming here tomorrow and they want to head to the mountains for a walk to see some wildflowers and let the dogs run around.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Marco

treerootCO
06-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Shrine pass

http://www.hanselmannphotography.com/nTarge_newsletters/Newsletter7-1-06/ShrineWildflowers.html

Uncle Ben
06-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Shrine pass

http://www.hanselmannphotography.com/nTarge_newsletters/Newsletter7-1-06/ShrineWildflowers.html

agree!

corsair23
06-26-2009, 12:24 AM
Yankee Boy Basin outside Ouray...A wee bit of a drive for a day trip however, and last year with the incredible amount of snow they had it looked like a glacier had come through...Typically the entire valley/basin is covered with wildflowers :)

Tch2fly
06-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Those are all good.
I really like Boreas Pass between South Park and Breckenridge but it may e a bit early for that one.

Corbet
06-26-2009, 08:09 AM
Peru Creek is also very good in Summit County.

Head south out of Keystone towards Montezuma. Peru Creek Trail Head is on the left about 1/2 way up. In addition to wildflowers a couple good old mine sites exist up there too. Road is drivable in a car until last mile or two.

This is also another approach to Grays and Torres 14er's if you want a challenging hike.

Right now is probably still a little early, but as I'm no longer living is Summit I could not tell you how the flowers are doing so far this year.

nuclearlemon
06-26-2009, 10:14 AM
trappers

Crash
06-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Suzie, the dogs and I were the first to make it to the gate at treeline at Mayflower Gulch Monday, 6/22. Mayflower is between Copper Mt. and Fremont Pass on the way to Leadville. Had to bash a few snowdrifts down in the trees but higher up was clear. It's too early for much in the way of wildflowers this time of year at that altitude as you can see in the two flower pics.

Crash
06-26-2009, 12:17 PM
In about another month, with all of the snow the mountains got this winter and spring, the wildflower watching should be fantastic. These two pics were taken after a particularly wet mountain spring in 2005 near Red Cone.

Rezarf
06-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Two years ago on the Ghost town run out of Camp Hale we traveled over to Vail pass... anyone know the trail? It was like CARPET there were so many flowers.

Drew

Crash
06-26-2009, 02:03 PM
That was probably Shrine Pass as already mentioned. Off of Shrine Pass is a trail called Weary Man trail where several years ago we saw wild mushroons as big as a 14" pizza! This summer should be incredible for flora looking in the mountains.

Red_Chili
06-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Mmmm... pizza...

An expedition-type camping/wildflower trip including Shrine Pass sounds like a wonderful de-stressor...

Jacket
06-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Like Crash says, it's about a month away from peak season. I was at Yankee Boy Basin last weekend and the only thing in bloom is the dandelions.....

Another good option for columbine, indian paintbrush, etc., especially if you want to hike, is the Henderson Mine/Jones Pass area on the south side of Berthoud Pass. If you park near Henderson Mine and hike the trail that climbs behind and above the plant (not Jones Pass), there's gobs of of them both below and at treeline. But you need to wait until mid-July....

subzali
06-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Drew, we were heading up Lime Creek when we saw all the flowers!

This morning on my dirtbike ride with my dad at Rampart we saw bunches of Columbines and other flowers! Very pretty in some of the lower mountain areas!

rover67
06-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Holy smokes, thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it! looks like there is plenty to choose from, but maybe a little bit early.. Allison and I went and rode bikes at Buffalo Creek near Pine last weekend and started to see some cool flowers so I was thinking that this weekend might not be bad.

jacdaw
06-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Marco, even if the flowers are shy, it's gonna be green and lush, so it will not be bad scenery. Enjoy!

Rezarf
06-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Marco, even if the flowers are shy, it's gonna be green and lush, so it will not be bad scenery. Enjoy!

x2! Have fun! :thumb:

Hulk
06-27-2009, 02:38 PM
There's a hike off the Guanella Pass Road to Silver Dollar Lake. Great wildflowers and a beautiful hike.

Inukshuk
06-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Drew, we were heading up Lime Creek when we saw all the flowers!

About two years ago I was floored by the huge numbers of columbine on Lime Creek road. Still, Kebler Pass by Crested Butte ranks my favorite - for mid August.