PDA

View Full Version : No A/c!

timmbuck2
07-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes, I am a pansy in my 80, and a pink panty 80 to boot. Last night the A/C belt squealed very badly, then stopped...and the A/C stopped blowing cold air. Hitting the A/C button turns on the light but no cold air....maybe a little when it is cooler out but once it warms up, nothing. Have not had a chance to look but will try tightening the belt first, then completely swap all belts if that does not work. Anyone done this who might want to help? Beers and food provided of course. :) Anytime is fine, with the holiday I am sure it would be next week...

Thanks

T

TIMZTOY
07-01-2009, 04:00 PM
it sounds to me like the compressor locked up !! causing the belt to shred, which is why you have no ac..

first thing to do is to grab the compressor clutch (pully) and try to spin it. if it dose spin. listen and feal for any resistance in the pully medal to medal bearing noises.
if it dose not spin at all you need a new compressor
if its all good aply 12v to the one wire comming off the clutch and make sure its clicking on and off..
if its all good then just put a new belt on. and you should be good to go..
might as well get all 3 belts, because if im not mistaken its the last belt on the system. making you take the other 2 off anyways.
then just keep the 2 you took off as trail spares:cheers:

Romer
07-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Could be the ac clutch as well. Much cheaper and only the front end.

I had a similar problem on the way to the rubicon. Turned out my tension pully near the bottom had fallen off so thebelt had no tension.

If its more

I still have the AC compressor that a Mud member brought to the Rubicon for me. Sounded like the AC clutch was starting to go bad. I also have an AC Clutch I bought at carquest.

TIMZTOY
07-04-2009, 01:09 PM
normally thats what goes bad when the compresser fails.. but if you paying a shop to change the clutch its going to cost you more money for the tottle bill because of the extra labor. because more thatn likely they are going to remove the compresser from the truck inorder to remove the clutch properlly. and youll end up saving money by just replacing the compressor with new clutch.. and the bearings in the compressor will fail eventually.. so yo had might as well just replace the compresser and save the money in extra labor. and the headace if the compressor did lock up after just paying for a new clutch.. but if you know how to do the work yourself then the clutch is the better way to go.. anymore theise days its hard to find a compressor with out a clutch.. if your going to open your system i highlly reccomend replacing your reciver/dryer and orphis tube(if applicable)

kvanoort
07-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Whenever you're replacing front end accessory system component parts like AC compressors, alternators, etc., in addition to replacing belts you should also replace tensioners and idlers. They're also wear items and could be causing part of the problem with the AC.

Here's a link to a tech tip on Gates Corporation Web site:
http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=TroubleshootAccessDrives.pdf&folder=brochure

timmbuck2
07-09-2009, 08:09 AM
thinking it is just the belt. works fine in the morning when it is cool, but as it heats up it stops working. I watched it when it was warm out, and the belt seemed to be slipping and only turning the compressor in stops and starts. The tension feels ok so the belt must be toast...

Thanks all

T

TIMZTOY
07-09-2009, 05:33 PM
that sounds like the a/c clutch has sliped and failed. belts tend to slip more when its cold. and if the clutch is slipping it "could" cause more heat than normal. which "could" strech out your belt. but i highly doubt it. when the clutch is gone everything would still work as designed only no compressed freon. (the compressor spins freely 100% of the time, untill the clutch kicks in turning the compressor pistons).

and if im not mistaken there is no spring tensioner.. its set with a bolt. ( i dont know what your driving ):thumb:

if i lived in CO, id come by and diag it and fix it for ya..

TIMZTOY
07-09-2009, 05:47 PM
when you say the compressor spins on and off is that the clutch cycling ?:confused: (the very front 1/8" of the pully, with the triangle looking thing?)