PDA

View Full Version : 6-Stud Knuckles

Shark Bait
07-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Props to Beater for giving a fellow RS'er a hand with a welding job. Finally got the 6-stud knuckles set up for my FJ40. Here's an action pic. More to follow.

Thanks John!

nuclearlemon
07-05-2009, 07:46 PM
what'd you find with your binding issue?

Shark Bait
07-06-2009, 12:55 AM

Not sure what's going on. I'm going to call Bobby Long Monday. Nothing looks wrong to me.

Shark Bait
07-06-2009, 12:57 AM
Here's a freshly welded 6-stud knuckle. I need to clean it up and throw some paint on it. John did a great job, especially with what I brought him. :D

Shark Bait
07-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Here's the other one. :)

Beater
07-06-2009, 07:24 AM
well, it'll hold, but it aint pretty..... those were some big ole gaps..

subzali
07-06-2009, 08:35 AM
great Chris! Now get that thing back together! We need to see more of Project Orange! :grinpimp:

wesintl
07-06-2009, 08:44 AM
mmm tig :D

Shark Bait
07-06-2009, 03:24 PM

Called Bobby today. He said they can start binding as they wear. Something about the ball bearings making dents. To me if felt like the race was a smidge too big.

He said to send it back and he'll send me a replacement all set up. Great customer service!

rover67
07-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Chris,

I know you said it somewhere.. but where did you get the six stud dealy-o's? It looks like it's front axle service time for the 60 and I think I want to do hi-steer and the 6 studs jobs like what you have. Looks like an affordable way to get quite a bit more strength... I want to try it.

Did you guys peen the welds as they cooled? Looks really sharp :)

Beater
07-06-2009, 05:05 PM
no - we pre-heated the knuckle and the blocks. I then stress pointed the tack welds using the arms as a jig during the process, then removed arms, then replaced them for the cooling period. we just air cooled them, as after welding the knuckle stayed about 450 uniformly over the knuckle.

Shark Bait
07-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Chris,

I know you said it somewhere.. but where did you get the six stud dealy-o's? It looks like it's front axle service time for the 60 and I think I want to do hi-steer and the 6 studs jobs like what you have. Looks like an affordable way to get quite a bit more strength... I want to try it.

Did you guys peen the welds as they cooled? Looks really sharp :)

Got them from Luke at 4x4 Labs (http://4x4labs.com/steering.shtml). I had had the small pattern arms, and after breaking them both at Rubithon last year I decided to upgrade.

Rzeppa
07-08-2009, 05:50 PM
mmm tig :D

LOL! I was going to post that exact same thing!

Shark Bait
07-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Got the 30 spline Long back from Bobby today, so I'm going to put my 40 front end back together tomorrow, if anyone wants to come by and offer their support. :D LMK

Shark Bait
07-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Got the knuckles buttoned up tonight. Still gotta throw gear lube in it and put the wheels back on. Getting closer..... :D

Hulk
07-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Wow! That looks mega beefy now. What's the new weak point for failure? (There's always a weak point, right?)

Shark Bait
07-14-2009, 01:51 AM
Wow! That looks mega beefy now. What's the new weak point for failure? (There's always a weak point, right?)

Hub gears, which I have my eye on now.
http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/images/HubGearsPhoto.jpghttp://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/images/HubGearsCopy.jpg

Also he sells a 4340 rear t-case output shaft. Hmmm....:rolleyes:

subzali
07-14-2009, 09:54 AM
that's the piece that goes inside the lockout right? It will be good to see your 40 on the trail again Chris! Good work! :thumb:

Uncle Ben
07-14-2009, 10:24 AM
that's the piece that goes inside the lockout right? It will be good to see your 40 on the trail again Chris! Good work! :thumb:

That is the drive hub that connects your axles to the sun gear splines in the hub. Bobby wont back the super axles for striped splines without it as if you blow the stock one it will strip the axle splines.

Crash
07-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Called Bobby today. He said they can start binding as they wear. Something about the ball bearings making dents. To me if felt like the race was a smidge too big.

He said to send it back and he'll send me a replacement all set up. Great customer service!

Had the same binding problem with the first set of Longfields from Bobby. When he replaced them, free of charge, he explained that his latest version shouldn't ever have the binding problem. The first set was over two years old and he happily replaced them. Definitely good customer service. :thumb:

Red_Chili
07-14-2009, 01:06 PM
He did the same for me. Impressed to the gills, I was. Warranty replacement when none was asked for.