PDA

View Full Version : Real Time help.. motor mount

Rezarf
07-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Well I found my "clunk" I hope. I had a bolt on my motor mount drivers rear on the bellhousing only finger tight! :eek: thank goodness for cotter pins :o

Anyhow, seems like I can just tighten it up and forget it, the rubber looks good, I have a new set in my hands, but the old one looks just fine (no sense throwing out a good one right?).

That said, how tight should I crank on the motor mount bolt? It appears to have snugged up, but it isn't getting tight. this is the kind that has the two rubber doughnuts above and below a steel mounting bracket.

Anyone?

thanks-

Drew

wesintl
07-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Toyota tight ;)

AxleIke
07-07-2009, 04:55 PM
When in doubt, go with german torque settings:

guten-tight.

Rzeppa
07-08-2009, 05:04 PM
NO! This is NOT a place for Guten-tight! It will compress the rubber too much. You want the rubber compressed about 1/8". Note that the DS BH mount is a PITA to get a wrench inside the frame rail, especially if your exhaust is routed as stock, right in the way. Use a box wrench in there, and after you start cranking on the top it will hold itself against the inside of the box section. When done, back off a smidge and the wrench will fall and then you get to fish it out of the box section. Obviously this operation is MUCH easier with the skid plate off, and nearly impossible with it on.

EWheeler
07-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I have honestly spent a good couple of hours scouring MUD, Pirate, & Googleing and came up empty on the recommended torque for motor mount bolts. I know, not much help....just don't waste a couple hours looking for it.

Rezarf
07-10-2009, 11:07 AM
i just snugged it up. ;)