PDA

View Full Version : YES! Finally a 4x4 news article

thenimirra
07-09-2009, 04:10 PM
I was finally able to convince my editor to let us run a 4x4 article! She wants one about the 7-10 best places to go wheeling in Colorado.

The story will include a short introduction answering these questions:
1) Safety precautions
2) Where you shouldn't go
3) Where to go for more resources

But the bulk of the article will be a locator map and a short two sentence description about each location and why it's good.

I would appreciate your help generating this list. I need to have the list of all of the places to my editor by 7/17 and final copy to her by 7/31.

If there is an event planned sometime between now and then, that would be a great time for the newspaper to send a photographer to get some cool shots of wheelers in action. Please message me about those upcoming events and I will see what I can do to get a staff photog out there. Thanks for your help in advance.

RockRunner
07-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Take a look at the calendar, most of the events are listed there or in the Staging area. It would be nice to see our sport in print with a positive side. Maybe you should contact Ige and Bill regarding proper land use and areas closed due to boneheads.

Red_Chili
07-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Hey, the Wheelers for the Wounded (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=9266) would be a GREAT event to cover... and also focus on the Buena Vista area. Timing is awfully close but may be worth some flexibility if she will allow it.

The only controversial trail would be Iron Chest, which technically is not open (as opposed to 'closed'... yeah, it's a long story) but is OK to drive. I probably would leave it out of the article, by name at least - too much attention might be a bad thing for our efforts to get it officially opened. But you could cover Old Chinaman's Gulch, the radical Carnage Canyon right next to it, the views from Mt. Princeton and the easy road to the top, and Mt. Antero and Hancock Pass and the narrow gauge Alpine Tunnel.

The human interest story of Wheelers for the Wounded can't be beat. Buena Vista would benefit from the focus. And the terrain ranges from semi-arid high desert to alpine in a 30 square mile area I'd guess.

If I get my truck in good repair I would be happy to provide transport if needed - although I am QUITE sure there will be plenty of empty seats and welcoming attitudes, and some real heroes in our midst being honored and entertained by 4x4 enthusiasts.

nuclearlemon
07-09-2009, 06:35 PM
one big thing is to remind all outdoors folks of the tread lightly approach.

what kind of trails are you looking for? actual 4wd trails, or the family friendly, look at the pretty scenery dirt roads?

nuclearlemon
07-09-2009, 06:37 PM
for resources, treadlightly.com, brc.com for safety and land use etiquette, local club websites(many of which can be found through hightrails.org) also are great land use/safety/where to go sights. also, since there's safety in numbers, folks can join a club on a run.

for books, the charles wells books are the primo in 4wd map books, there's also the colorado trail books available through 4wheel parts wholesale.

don't know how quick you are to get this, but i'll be home sat/sun doing last minute prep stuff for black hills, pm me if you wanna come over and check out the wells books, talk, whatever.

thenimirra
07-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Hey there Ige, I think I've decided to do the family friendly ones that are mostly just dirt roads for beginners so they get the feel of wheeling without the actually trying to get on a difficult trail where they will get stuck.