PDA

View Full Version : Hand-Made Lamborghini Built In Basement

Hulk
07-10-2009, 05:24 PM
This is an awesome story:

Hand-Made Lamborghini Built In Basement Finally Sees Light Of Day (http://jalopnik.com/5065896/hand+made-lamborghini-built-in-basement-finally-sees-light-of-day)

Seventeen years ago, Ken Imhoff watched Cannonball Run and became so enamored with the Lamborghini Countach in the film, he hand-built his own, in his basement. Ken designed and fabricated his own tig-welded frame, installed a thoroughly massaged 351 cubic inch V8 with a ZF-25 5-speed transmission, hand-formed the aluminum body over a meticulously measured and accurate body form, and finished it all off in a beautiful metallic gray. It took Ken 10 years to complete the project, and the results are amazing. There's only one problem, when you build a car in a basement — how do you get it out?

- - - - - - - -

It gets even better when the guy tells the story himself:

"I Am The Guy With A Lamborghini In The Basement" (http://jalopnik.com/5069251/exclusive-i-am-the-guy-with-a-lamborghini-in-the-basement)

The time was 1985 and I was watching the movie Cannonball run. Yeah, you know the one with Farrah Fawcett and Adrienne Barbeau? 'That red car was a what?' I asked. A Lamborghini Countach. I was mesmerized.

I spent the next five years figuring out how I was going to build one. The idea of buying something was out of the question — I was raised by a German perfectionist of a father who would quote, "I can't understand why anyone would buy something when they could make it" whenever the topic of buying something came up. He would say, "You have the skills, just build one".

As things were starting to heat up with the Lamborghini, I got involved with a young lady and things started moving pretty quickly. When the topic of car finally came up, I told her 'I need to build this car and I hope it isn't going to be a problem.' She said 'I can't see how it would. I love you.' I figure I would test the waters and asked her if she had two grand for a ZF transaxle. I had a guy in CA with a Pantera ZF he wants to sell, but I was short on cash at the time.

Long story short, she lent me the money and we got married a year later just before we closed on a house with a 2 1/2 garage.