PDA

View Full Version : Winch accessories

60wag
07-11-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm in the market for some accessories and need some feedback.

Is a wireless winch control worth the effort, or a waste of money? The premium one is about 130$ and the cheap ones are $40ish. The wired version seems pretty reliable though not needing a battery.

What about hooks? I've seem some cool hooks that have the safety latch integrated into the forging, (70-90$). Most hooks have no retainer latch at all. Why not just use a 3/4" shackle on the cable eye and forget the hook altogether?

Red_Chili
07-11-2009, 05:40 PM
An in-cab controller is the schiz. Wireless... never saw the need really.

Convert
07-11-2009, 08:18 PM

X2 just go incab controls

nakman
07-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I never saw the ROI on this one.. If you run the cable under the wiper, then the hand controller in through the open window, you've got in cab controls.. :confused: plus little fingers wouldn't be able to push it.

I agree on the hooks, you can shackle just about anything. Do you have a snatch block? tree saver? Those would be first if not, IMO.

farnhamstj
07-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Ditto on the Snatch block and tree saver. I got mine from Slee. Don't forget leather gloves and a bag to keep everything together. I've seen enough people have trouble with the regular wired control. I think wireless control is just not necessary. In-cab is cool but I too have small people that like to pretend to drive when I'm not paying attention. Also I like to run the controls from outside the rig in some situations.

rover67
07-12-2009, 02:42 PM
I use the 3/4" clevis through the eye for the end of the winch line and like it. Simple, and it stays hooked up. Also don't have to worry as much about how stuff pulls on the clevis. The hooks are faster, and I liked it because of that, but I love the security of the clevis.

i just looked this up for the picture, but here's a nice example:

http://www.winchline.com/vtl_wl_wst.htm

Hulk
07-13-2009, 12:02 AM
A few months ago, Charlie (5) pulled the wired contoller out of the door pocket in my 80, correctly oriented the plug on the control box and plugged in the cable, and proceeded to demonstrate to his friend how a winch works.

Moral of the story: I'm sure in-cab controls are even more tempting, but sticking with the old wired controller won't necessarily prevent your kids from messing with the winch.

rover67
07-13-2009, 07:42 AM
that's impressive :) sounds like he needs a project truck!

A few months ago, Charlie (5) pulled the wired contoller out of the door pocket in my 80, correctly oriented the plug on the control box and plugged in the cable, and proceeded to demonstrate to his friend how a winch works.

Moral of the story: I'm sure in-cab controls are even more tempting, but sticking with the old wired controller won't necessarily prevent your kids from messing with the winch.

Romer
07-13-2009, 08:15 AM
I never saw the ROI on this one.. If you run the cable under the wiper, then the hand controller in through the open window, you've got in cab controls.. :confused: plus little fingers wouldn't be able to push it.

I agree on the hooks, you can shackle just about anything. Do you have a snatch block? tree saver? Those would be first if not, IMO.

I agree with Tim

You have to get out of the truck to use the winch. Sometimes you may want to be oput of the truck while your controlling to get a better view of whats going on or have someone out of the truck control it

But I know its cool to add switches.

The other stuff Tim mentioned are the ones I would get.

rover67
07-13-2009, 08:55 AM
FWIW, this guy was pretty cool, he had nice straps and stuff. It was a nice drive up there, but his prices were good and all of his straps were made by a rigging company in denver and rated.

He even had a nice little bag and gloves that came with a kit he offered.

I've been using his straps for a year and a half now and am pleased.

http://rockstomper.netfirms.com/shoppingcart/nfoscomm/catalog/

nakman
07-13-2009, 08:58 AM
I have a kill switch for mine, so it's "off" most of the time. That was initially to prevent tampering by people I don't know, second as added electrical safety in case of accident.. but I didn't even realize until now that it can also be helpful for preventing kids from playing with it, cool. :cool: It's just one of those blue sea marine switches, intercepting the positive cable..

And I could see the benefit of the dash switch control, mainly if you were going to operate from inside anyway, the controller is one less thing to have to dig out, or better yet if someone else was already outside in the water/mud/snow and could connect your cable for you, and you didn't even need to get out, now there's the benefit.. :hill:

I do like the switches though... :) it just wouldn't be first on my list, or second for that matter, I'd do the NXTLCY garage door opener switch mod ahead of a winch control.

Rzeppa
07-13-2009, 06:18 PM

I use my wired controller in my cab. Should I have paid extra? :)

sleeoffroad
07-13-2009, 06:31 PM
First thing I do on every truck. Inside winch controls. No more looking for the controller. Less stuff dangling around the driver. With our dual battery system we have a marine switch that selects what battery is used for winching. In the default off position, no power to the winch, so it is locked out for both internal controls as well as Charlies sticking the controller in.

60wag
07-17-2009, 01:29 PM
I already have the snatch block, the gloves and the tree saver so I'm set there. I need to buy a controller and the wireless isn't that much more than the the wired ones. I'll likely go wired because I hate having batteries in things that just don't really need them, ( like a wireless computer mouse.) The in cab control is cool but how do you respool the cable when you have to sit in the truck to operate it?

On my 60 I had wired the winch power through a starter solenoid so I could shut it off. The solenoid promptly failed because it was the wrong device for the job. I ended using the terminals of the solenoid as posts to manually disconnect the winch power. I'll likely do something similar because of the safety it adds but I'm open to ideas that are better.

I'm liking the shackle instead of a hook also due to the improved reliability.

corsair23
07-17-2009, 02:30 PM
IOn my 60 I had wired the winch power through a starter solenoid so I could shut it off. The solenoid promptly failed because it was the wrong device for the job. I ended using the terminals of the solenoid as posts to manually disconnect the winch power. I'll likely do something similar because of the safety it adds but I'm open to ideas that are better.

Something like this?

Hella Battery Master Switch (http://www.hella.co.nz/?t=9&pcid=259&sct=1&pid=445&View=Full)

http://www.hella.co.nz/site_resources/library/07_Accessories/large_4650.jpg

That is what I plan on using after the fun I had with my run-away winch on the snow run in '08. I think Tim uses something similar. Will be an improvement over popping the hood and trying to quickly disconnect the winch power before recreating the scene from the Gods Must Be Crazy :D

Can't remember the exact one I ended up buying but I had to dig for awhile to find one that can support the max amp draw of the winch for more than 10 seconds.

maxsdad
07-17-2009, 02:50 PM
So, what's the NXTLCY garage door opener switch mod?
I have a kill switch for mine, so it's "off" most of the time. That was initially to prevent tampering by people I don't know, second as added electrical safety in case of accident.. but I didn't even realize until now that it can also be helpful for preventing kids from playing with it, cool. :cool: It's just one of those blue sea marine switches, intercepting the positive cable..

And I could see the benefit of the dash switch control, mainly if you were going to operate from inside anyway, the controller is one less thing to have to dig out, or better yet if someone else was already outside in the water/mud/snow and could connect your cable for you, and you didn't even need to get out, now there's the benefit.. :hill:

I do like the switches though... :) it just wouldn't be first on my list, or second for that matter, I'd do the NXTLCY garage door opener switch mod ahead of a winch control.

nakman
07-17-2009, 04:05 PM
So, what's the NXTLCY garage door opener switch mod?

You take apart a perfectly good dash switch, cannibalize a garage door opener, then combine them into a switch that operates your garage door. Could be done to essentially any vehicle. http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/228971-how-installing-garage-door-opener-into-your-80-a.html

60wag
08-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Could someone point me to a good disconnect switch? I'm looking at the Blue Sea Marine web site and have found only 350A continuous, 4 gauge cable switches. I'd like something with an intermittant 1000A rating and room for 2 or even 1 gauge cables.

edit: I just found the HD ones that are continuous at 600A and it says 4 gauge needed for listed rating. Does this mean 2 guage will or won't fit?

Rzeppa
08-02-2009, 03:33 PM
edit: I just found the HD ones that are continuous at 600A and it says 4 gauge needed for listed rating. Does this mean 2 guage will or won't fit?

You (or I) can make anything fit.

What is the purpose of a disconnect switch? I would trust the winch remote to turn off power.

Corbet
08-02-2009, 03:48 PM
I guess I'm the only one around running a wireless controller?:D It was included with my TMax winch. I like the fact I'm not tied to a 12' radius of the winch. My only complaint is there is a short delay in the winches reaction with the wireless controller. You get used to it. If the battery dies, has not yet in 2.5 years, then I just connect the wire to the controller (its the same unit)

Inside the truck, next to it, at the far end of the winch rope, I can run it from anywhere.

nakman
08-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Bruce I run the Blue Sea Marine pn 9006. It appears to have been discontinued, and replaced with this one: http://bluesea.com/category/1/products/3000 and it will accommodate whatever cable end has a 1/2" hole.

Jeff, I have three reasons for a disconnect switch (in order of likelihood):

1. To prevent people I know from operating the winch unintentionally or accidentally. This includes myself, kids, friends, etc. The device is so easy to use yet so dangerous, having to turn a dial just reinforces to me that you need to pay a little more attention.

2. To kill power to the winch during most of my driving time, and not introduce a bunch of amps to a front end collision. Probably far fetched, but my rationale is it's bad enough I just smashed their car with an ARB, I don't need to shock them or start a fire too.

3. Prevent people I don't know from operating the winch. Specifically the urban myth that some hooligan will free spool my winch, flop the cable up over the top and hook it to my back bumper, then jumper the wire connector with a paper clip and watch my roof crush as he runs away.

Rzeppa
08-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Jeff, I have three reasons for a disconnect switch (in order of likelihood):

1. To prevent people I know from operating the winch unintentionally or accidentally. This includes myself, kids, friends, etc. The device is so easy to use yet so dangerous, having to turn a dial just reinforces to me that you need to pay a little more attention.

2. To kill power to the winch during most of my driving time, and not introduce a bunch of amps to a front end collision. Probably far fetched, but my rationale is it's bad enough I just smashed their car with an ARB, I don't need to shock them or start a fire too.

3. Prevent people I don't know from operating the winch. Specifically the urban myth that some hooligan will free spool my winch, flop the cable up over the top and hook it to my back bumper, then jumper the wire connector with a paper clip and watch my roof crush as he runs away.

LOL! Well, none of those reasons apply to me. If someone wanted to operate my winch they'd have to fish through my glovebox and find the controller, plug it, then learn that the labeling is backwards from operation :)

If I got into a front end collision, that made any difference to the winch, operating it (or having a short) would be the least of my worries. If that were the case, the battery would also be smashed. FWIW, no can be shocked from 12VDC, but certainly a fire can start from excessive power dissipation. Reminds me of that wire in your Scout ;)

If someone wants to try to hotwire the winch with a paper clip, have at it while they get a 3rd degree burn as they tried to position the paper clip :lmao:

But your reasons are good for your situation. As they say, YMMV!

chtucker
08-05-2009, 05:49 AM
D&M wire rope in Grand Junction made some extension cables for me, new cable, tree straps, and has a full line of pulleys and snatch blocks...pretty cheap..

google them or look them up in the phone book..

Dave 2000
11-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi this is my first 'proper' post and I recognise it's an old thread but all the same, I prefer to use a hook that can be supplied with the facility to rotate allowing the cable to release any twist during recovery preserving cable integrity ect. FWIW I use a remote and have the cable socket as well in case of flat remote batteries, the cable connector is in the slam panel so cannot be accessed by those poor children that have led a misguided childhood!

Just my 2 euros (inflation) :D

regards

Dave