PDA

View Full Version : FZJ80 New Windshield ??

Shark Bait
07-14-2009, 12:01 AM
I was researching putting a new windshield in my 80 the other day. The choices are blue tint with blue shading or gold tint with gold shading. I have the blue now. Does anyone have the gold? Just curious what it looked like.

Hulk
07-14-2009, 12:14 AM
I was researching putting a new windshield in my 80 the other day. The choices are blue tint with blue shading or gold tint with gold shading. I have the blue now. Does anyone have the gold? Just curious what it looked like.

I have the amber tint on my front windshield. When I had it replaced a few years ago, the guy who showed up to do it had a green tint windshield with him. He insisted on coming back the next day with the amber tint, since he said it would more closely match the tint on the side windows.

You can see it next week if you want to wait.

Romer
07-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Some places dont put the glue on the rubber seal when they replace the window and the window ends up leaking later. Lots of vehicles dont need the glue so its a common mistake

There are some threads on mud if you want to research it more

subzali
07-14-2009, 08:55 AM
I would recommend staying with what you have Chris. It is usually matched to the color of the vehicle plus the color of the trim, so I would go with what is already on there or else it might look funny.

nakman
07-14-2009, 08:58 AM
If anyone knows of a good place, with sound 80 knowledge, willingness to glue, etc. I'd be interested to know as well... I've had a crack in mine for a year or so, been thinking I probably oughta replace it some day..

Romer
07-14-2009, 09:15 AM
what I did is dropped my vehicle at Olegs, he had a glass guy come by and do the job in his shop and Oleg provided the new gasket and ensure it was sealed. Course thats easy for me since I can walk to work from Oleg's

I would recommend calling a company and talking to them about how they do it. You should supply an OEM gasket

Shark Bait
07-14-2009, 09:51 AM
I would recommend staying with what you have Chris. It is usually matched to the color of the vehicle plus the color of the trim, so I would go with what is already on there or else it might look funny.

It's been replaced before and is not a brand I recognize. That's a good idea going to Oleg's. I do have a replacement gasket. Just in case. The fronts look like they have a green tint. The rears, of course, have that brown/gold tint.

rover67
07-14-2009, 10:00 AM
I need to replace my windshield in the 60 as well, are they as picky?

SteveH
07-14-2009, 11:51 AM
I saved $40 by asking for a windshield without the tint band at the top. Also, for my FZJ they wanted $60 for a new gasket (I got the airbag speech about replacing the gasket each time), and the Toyota gasket was $60 - so I bought my own gasket. This was in about 2000, so prices have probably gone up. I was glad I could supply a Toyota gasket, rather than having them possibly use a generic one.

LARGEONE
07-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Don't get me started on windshield replacements for the 80!!!!

Whatever you do...get a fresh gasket and have them glue inside and around. And, if you can convince your insurance company, the OEM window is WAAAAAYYYYY better. It is just super expensive.

Mine is still leaking, and I've had the place come back three times. They are refusing to do any more, and I'm currently fighting with my insurance company to try to get them to pay for an OEM windshield. A bunch of idiots. The first time, they used the original gasket and didn't glue, even though I showed them the FSM. Then, duh, it leaked so they came back out and used the same old gasket and glued. It still leaked. Next time they used a cheapy windshield, a new gasket, and glue and it is still leaking. Many posts on MUD about this and in the end the only solution was new gasket, glue, and OEM windshield.

That's where I'm heading if I can get my insurance company to hook me up with the $700 windshield!!!

corsair23
07-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Not an answer to the color question but I remember UB posting up about the 80 series windshields....

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=103401&postcount=39

Per UB, "Elite uses PPG......They fit good in the 80!"

Shark Bait
07-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Yes. They have merged with Safelite. Not sure what the implications are of that. :)

Hants
07-14-2009, 09:04 PM
My experiences:

- Dealership can look up the "correct" tint based on your VIN. IIRC, they're either Green-ish or Gold-ish. Holding a white piece of paper behind the glass may help you see the "-ish-ness".

- Cheaper installers (in my experience, the ones that offer to save you a buck) will use non-PPG/OEM glass and likely scrimp on the new gasket/seal/glue. I've actually had them quote more than twice the dealer retail price for OEM/PPG glass -- I'm guessing because there's little to no margin in it for them.

- If insurance is paying for it, I would take it to the dealer -- they'll be certain its done correctly (come-backs affect their customer-service rating).

- The last time I had it done, it was around $600 at the local Lexus dealer. They did it right, but this is Colorado and it's cracking again a year and half later.

- I *always* watch the installation off and on, and chat up the installer. I ask innocent (nice) questions if something looks a little off, and they always do a "better" job with it. I try not to hover or be a pest, just show up for a few minutes at a time and chat a bit.

- Look closely after they take the glass out. The tools they use will commonly cut the paint & primer, and you can get rust in there. They're *supposed* to grind out any rust and prime anywhere where the paint is damaged. They have special glue-friendly primer.

Romer
07-14-2009, 09:09 PM
two years ago, the guy Oleg had come by cost about $200 and it was done right. It is cracked along the bottom from a flying rock.

Who teaches those little rocks to fly anyways?

nakman
07-14-2009, 09:12 PM
$600 at the dealer? dang.. and I've got a $1000 deductible too, guess I won't be going to dealer route.

so Ken was that $200 including glass? Or just the install?

Romer
07-14-2009, 09:15 PM
I think that was about everything, but it was 3 or 4 years ago now that I think about it. Could have been $220. I did buy the gasket seperate.

Hulk
07-14-2009, 11:30 PM
We have windshield replacement on our insurance. Karie tells me we don't pay anything extra for it, and it's $0 deductible. I had my glass replaced 3 years ago, and there are no leaks and it still looks great.

LARGEONE
07-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Hulk...do you remember who came out to do your window?

Nakman...at the time mine was done, I didn't have any coverage (liability only) so I paid cash. The company lowered the price since I was not billing insurance and I believe it was around $250. But, like I said, they attempted to do it without changing the gasket. You should buy a new OEM gasket at least and then show them what the FSM says they are supposed to do.

Hants
07-15-2009, 08:57 AM
That was at the Lexus dealer... :princess:

I've been told that the big-name insurers won't cover glass crack issues (I know State Farm doesn't).

Many of the 2nd tier insurers do. Stop by any of the chip repair places and they'll let you know which do and don't.

If the crack is "short", they can probably fill it for a lot less than replacing it.

nakman
07-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Huh. So yup I'm with State Farm, I just called them to verify- they will cover the $600 windshield it if I want to pay my $1000 deductible :rolleyes: My other option is I can buy windshield coverage for $15/6months/vehicle and it will be free replacements, but it wouldn't be able to be used until I replace my current windshields, since that's a pre-existing condition- yes they'd have to inspect them before I get the coverage.

I will think about that one... I guess it would be cheaper particularly if I wanted a new windshield every 2-3 years. I think my current one is 5 years old, honestly can't remember though. Doesn't really change my predicament today though, I guess I could switch to a lower deductible, pay the difference for the change in insurance coverage, get the windshield, then switch back? Seems shady though, borderline fraudulent even..

Hants
07-15-2009, 11:00 AM
I've been told that the big-name insurers won't cover glass crack issues (I know State Farm doesn't).

What I've been told is they will replace it (subject to deductible) if it's "broken" or "unrepairable". Chips, small-ish cracks are generally considered repairable.

IIRC, 18" is the guideline for repairable cracks, but don't quote me on that.

corsair23
07-15-2009, 04:05 PM
I think I'm in the same boat as Tim, albeit with a slightly lower deductible, 2 80s that have windshield that could use replacing, and USAA vs. State Farm :(

Remind me again why I thought it would be a good idea to own not one but two reliable 80s? :)

I remember the good old days when windshields were covered with $0 deductible for safety reasons I believe...Guess they figured out that windshields in CO tend to crack a lot or something...

Inukshuk
07-15-2009, 05:41 PM
We have windshield replacement on our insurance. Karie tells me we don't pay anything extra for it, and it's $0 deductible. I had my glass replaced 3 years ago, and there are no leaks and it still looks great.

Ditto. I had Greg at the Toy Shop connect me to his installer and I got OEM glass and OEM gasket. 2 years, no leaks. State Farm would do it every year if needed.

Shark Bait
07-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Well, got mine replaced today at Boulder Toyota. Jerry took care of me. He has them done by Elite/Safelite. If you don't have the fancy replacement coverage or don't want to file an insurance claim call Jerry Ekberg at Boulder Toyota, 303-443-3250 and tell him you're with Rising Sun.

nakman
07-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Well, got mine replaced today at Boulder Toyota. Jerry took care of me. He has them done by Elite/Safelite. If you don't have the fancy replacement coverage or don't want to file an insurance claim call Jerry Ekberg at Boulder Toyota, 303-443-3250 and tell him you're with Rising Sun.

Good to know Chris, thanks! Jerry already got my truck allowance for this month, but when I'm ready to do the windshield that's probably where I'll head. :beer:

Hulk
07-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Allstate will replace my window without cracks. I just call them up and tell them that it's so pitted that when I drive west in the late afternoon, it lights up every pit like it's on fire and I can't see anything. Feel free to use my line.

timmbuck2
02-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Allstate will replace my window without cracks. I just call them up and tell them that it's so pitted that when I drive west in the late afternoon, it lights up every pit like it's on fire and I can't see anything. Feel free to use my line.

I called and said my pits were on fire and that caused my crack to be on fire...they did not have an answer for me....:confused:

Just confirmed with State Farm that my full comprehensive insurance has a $0 deductible and I can go to the dealer to have it replaced no problem. Since I am 5 minutes from Stevinson, I will probably go there. Need to pick up some O2 sensors anyway...