PDA

View Full Version : Rear Rotors...Arrrrrggghhh

corsair23
07-16-2009, 01:46 PM
If you remember back last year I think it was I had failed to heed Three Wheel Ben's advice on the front pads on the 80 and that they needed to be replaced in 2-3 months...Subsequently I waited too long, and one of the front pads went metal to metal and destroyed a rotor :doh:

Well, the :Princess: told me last week that the brakes were making a funny noise again. I suspected the rear pads were getting low and promised to check into it...Well, she called me today saying the truck was making a nasty noise. So she stopped by my work for me to listen to and take a look at the truck...Having heard the noise before the last time I was almost positive what the problem was and one look at the rotors showed the tell tale sign of a brake pad that has gone metal to metal on the DS rear :rant:...Dang my procrastination! And DANG PO's that put on cheap pads with no wear indicators to warn procrastinators like me that impending doom is right around the corner.

The REALLY annoying thing for me is that when my rears on the LX started squealing, I bought a set of pads for both the LX and the 80 at the same time so I have a set of OEM pads sitting on a shelf in the garage that I planned to put on...And, replacing the rear pads is SO easy, even for a doofus like me, that an hour of my time would have resolved this issue months ago :o

OK, enough whining...tech question :rolleyes:

Would you go ahead and replace both rear rotors and have all new or just replace the one damaged one and call it good? Truck has ~115K miles on it and I'm sure the rotors are the originals but who knows, they could be some cheapy replacements...

It is times like these that I sometimes don't like owning 2 80s, even if my mechanic skills do get better getting to do everything twice :hill:

Beater
07-16-2009, 01:50 PM
rotors have become so inexpensive that I replace them almost every time...

Red_Chili
07-16-2009, 02:00 PM
The Chili rule: brakes and wheel bearings always in pairs.
Don't ask me how I learnt that one.

corsair23
07-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Going with a pair :thumb:

$114 a piece from our friends at Burt...Procrastination will only cost me an extra ~$250 this time around and I'll do my part to help stimulate the economy a bit...A touch cheaper than what my procrastination cost me the last go around so does that mean I'm getting better? :lmao:

Any reason to retain the old rotors, at least the good one for an emergency spare for someone in the club?

LARGEONE
07-16-2009, 02:13 PM
We could put them together...I think I have a good spare front one in my garage!!!

Red_Chili
07-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Sure sucks to be a minitruck driver.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/brake/disk-rotor/brake-rotor-standard

Crash
07-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Or a 60 series guy. :thumb:

corsair23
07-16-2009, 03:20 PM
:tongue2: - I'm sure I could pick up some cheaper ones from Napa etc. but I'm an OEM purists...Ok, not really but I have to do my part to keep Joe and the boys employed :)

:D

AxleIke
07-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Huh.

I've done this on my truck. I didn't warp the rotors, so I left em alone. After the pads wear into the grooves on the rotor, theoretically, I'm getting better braking.

Not sure if that would jive with Toyota Techs, but its worked well for the last 6 years.

DaveInDenver
07-16-2009, 03:46 PM
:tongue2: - I'm sure I could pick up some cheaper ones from Napa etc. but I'm an OEM purists...Ok, not really but I have to do my part to keep Joe and the boys employed :)
And FWIW, mini truck OEM IFS rotors are about the same price (~$100).

Beater
07-16-2009, 04:05 PM
on rotors and the like, you really should lose the oem bias. NO manufacturer MAKES their own rotors. That being said, there are differences in jobbers and oem manufacturers. I put brembo's on my 80 and my t100. They were near half the cost of toyota branded rotors, and we know how crappy brembo is in brakes....

j

subzali
07-16-2009, 06:11 PM
yeah, I'm looking into Brembo rotors on my Tundra as well.

rover67
07-16-2009, 06:18 PM
I ran the brembo rotors on my tundra and liked them. got them from www.tirerack.com

DaveInDenver
07-16-2009, 06:31 PM
on rotors and the like, you really should lose the oem bias. NO manufacturer MAKES their own rotors. That being said, there are differences in jobbers and oem manufacturers. I put brembo's on my 80 and my t100. They were near half the cost of toyota branded rotors, and we know how crappy brembo is in brakes....

j
Bembo is just fine, I would use them if my OEM connection wasn't as good to me as he is. There is a difference between junk rotors and good rotors, though. Also I like OEM drums, very few of the aftermarket ones I've seen have the two threaded holes for removing them and that is uber handy.

corsair23
07-17-2009, 01:51 AM
Since threads are worthless without pics....Here you go :D

Rear DS Rotor

Close up

Rear PS Rotor still looks good but goes bye-bye anyway...

Still doesn't hold a candle to what the front rotor looked like nearly 2 years ago though :hill:

Air Randy
07-17-2009, 09:28 AM
As long as they aren't warped or under sized, why dont you just have them turned down?

corsair23
07-17-2009, 01:31 PM
As long as they aren't warped or under sized, why dont you just have them turned down?

I might and then offer them to a club member in need, or sell them cheap or something...But, I tend to be impatient and there is no guarantee that they can be turned. Went down that path with the fronts and it just added more time and running around to the repair. Plus, until I get this fixed the :Princess: has the LX, and I want it back so I can get it ready for the GTR next week :)

corsair23
07-19-2009, 01:35 AM
The Cruiser gods must not like me right now :(

Tried to button up the repairs Fri night but determined that I am missing some parts...Most importat was not having pad wear indicators...The old pads didn't have any so when I picked up the rotors I asked for some...I didn't pay much attention to the baggie and it turns out that what I got was the pad support pieces and not pad wear indicators...Also discovered that the anti-squeal shims are shot, the one on the pad that went metal to metal fused to the pad :eek:

Then I managed to mangle one of the parking brake retainer spring cup dealyos while yanking the rotor off and I also noticed the old rotors didn't have the little plugs in the parking brake adjustment hole and of course the new rotors didn't have them...Not critical but might as well pick some up with the other stuff...

No problem right...Call up Burt in the AM and have them pull the parts and go down and pick them up...DENIED...none of the needed parts are in stock so they have to order them in and they won't arrive till Wednesday...Crap

Sort of putting a crimp in my plans to get the LX ready for the GTR run as it is hard to work on the LX when it is out with the :Princess: running errands...sigh

To add insult to injury our stupid washing machine decided to stop working as well...dang, double dang, and triple dang

Shark Bait
07-19-2009, 11:23 AM
The Cruiser gods must not like me right now :(

Tried to button up the repairs Fri night but determined that I am missing some parts...Most importat was not having pad wear indicators...The old pads didn't have any so when I picked up the rotors I asked for some...I didn't pay much attention to the baggie and it turns out that what I got was the pad support pieces and not pad wear indicators...Also discovered that the anti-squeal shims are shot, the one on the pad that went metal to metal fused to the pad :eek:

Then I managed to mangle one of the parking brake retainer spring cup dealyos while yanking the rotor off and I also noticed the old rotors didn't have the little plugs in the parking brake adjustment hole and of course the new rotors didn't have them...Not critical but might as well pick some up with the other stuff...

No problem right...Call up Burt in the AM and have them pull the parts and go down and pick them up...DENIED...none of the needed parts are in stock so they have to order them in and they won't arrive till Wednesday...Crap

Sort of putting a crimp in my plans to get the LX ready for the GTR run as it is hard to work on the LX when it is out with the :Princess: running errands...sigh

To add insult to injury our stupid washing machine decided to stop working as well...dang, double dang, and triple dang

If NAPA is open today they might have some of that stuff. :D

DaveInDenver
07-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I know NAPA sells a brake hardware kit for the rear drums on my truck, so you might not be dead in the water just yet.

wesintl
07-19-2009, 12:22 PM
imho either plan to replace it or don't. On the front rotors I usually don't use the wear swealers. They usually wear down once they start squealing if you don't replace the brakes right away. I usually just check them once In a while. Also the brake reservoir will be low or the light will come on once the pads wear down significantly.

corsair23
07-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys...I bagged it for the weekend and didn't even get on the forum :doh:

I probably would have just put it all back together sans the shims and indicators and little plugs had it not been for the spring retainer cup dealyo...Reusing the fubarred one would have made it a possibility for one of the parking brake shoes to come loose in there and that wouldn't be pretty, especially on the highway. I took my time on the DS getting the rotor off, not so much so on the PS :( - In the end it will have a lot of sparkly new parts and be good to go for many years to come. I need to learn how the ebrake dial adjustment works. I looked in the FSM but it doesn't state up or down to loosen/tighten :confused: Backing the parking brake shoes off would have allowed the rotor to slide right off but I didn't want to start farting with it and end up screwing up the perfecting working ebrake :hill: So, I broke something instead...