PDA

View Full Version : Harken Hoister...

corsair23
07-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Not sure this is tech per se, but throwing it in here anyway...

Since we moved in to our current house, garage storage space has been at a premium...Now that I have the 80 series roof rack that I won at CM09 the garage had become even more crowded. I've already got two home brew overhead storage "shelves" that are loaded with bulky camping gear etc. What I wanted/needed, was a way to get the roof rack and RTT off the garage floor and up to the ceiling. Those two items take up a lot of room and getting them in the air would free up some much needed garage space...

Back when I was looking for a FJ40 hard top hoist system (something else I recently finished) I came across the Harken Hoister (http://www.hoister.com/). Pretty trick setup but I ended up going a different route with the hard top hoist in the end (a serious overkill home brew setup). Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and my quest to organize the garage...I remembered investigating the Harken Hoister so I did some more research and they have a system that will hoist up to 200#s...Perfect as that is about what the rack and the RTT weigh (I think). After some internet searching I found the best deal to be through West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/62154/377%20710%201748%204294967173/69/Headsail%20Furling/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377 710 1748 4294967173&Ne=69&Ntt=Headsail Furling&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=2&subdeptNum=329&classNum=10898) or all places so I ordered up a kit during a recent sale (10% off, free shipping, and I had a $15 off coupon to boot).

The kit is complete with everything you need except the two 2x6 mounting boards and lag bolts to attach those to the rafters. Install is pretty straight forward although it can be very time consuming. I spent probably 8+ hours over 2 days before it was 100% complete. I had to measure carefully because the space I was installing it in was just slightly bigger than the roof rack. The biggest PITA was setting up the drop ropes and strap to the right length...I probably had to redo them 1/2 dozen times before I was satisfied.

The other issue I ran into was the distance from the rope organizer to the block and tackle. The distance between these needs to be equal to or greater than the total lift height. I.E., if you want to lift something 10', then the distance between the rope organizer and the block and tackle must be 10' or more. Well, I was installing my hoist "sideways" from what would be considered typical (toward a side wall vs. the front wall). This limited my lift height initially to just 5' when I needed 10'+ to reach the floor. In the end I had to compromise and put the rack and RTT on saw horses to reduce the lift height needed and I had to relocate the block and tackle attachment point down the wall (as instructed per the instructions) to gain more lifting height.

I managed to bend the welded eye screw that the block and tackle attaches to because dummy me tried to eek out a few extra inched by screwing it in vertically vs. horizontally...The strain bent the eye screw before I had raised the rack and RTT even a foot :o. So, I went out and got a larger eye hook that was rated for a SWL of 365#s, and I installed this one horizontally.

All in all the system works great. I'm sure a more ingenious person could come up with a home brew system that would work as well or better but for my use this fit the bill perfectly...I'm probably right at the weight limit for this system, which is the largest one Harken makes. So, being the obsessed person I am, once the rack and RTT were lifted up I looped some ratchet straps over the rafters and secured the items to the ceiling to make sure they don't go anywhere while also taking some of the tension off the hoister...

What would be really cool is if there was a way to lower the rack and RTT directly onto the LX and still be able to get out of the garage...A 10' high garage door opening would be the shiznit :D

Hopefully my roof doesn't collapse with all of the weight I have up there :hill: Here are some pics on the system...

Mounting boards installed along with some of the Harken components:

Everything ready to attach and adjust the straps:

Rack and RTT in place, ready for hoisting - you can see the block and tackle attachment point is as far away as possible - this is before I upgraded the attachment point and installed that one horizontal:

Going up - you can see part of one of my existing home brew overhead storage shelves in the top left of the pic:

Up and out of the way above the garage door:

nakman
07-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Pretty cool, Jeff.

Would be cooler though if you bolted that stuff to the LX and went camping.. :lmao:

The riddle I was never able to solve, is once the thing is down on saw horses, how do you get it on top of the 80 by yourself? I've got some nice scratches on my roof that I use to prove myself it can't be done eloquently...

Red_Chili
07-17-2009, 11:05 AM
:lmao:

That is about identical to the topper lift I had at our old place, but that I assembled myself from Home Depot stuff.

I will say though, the prices seem pretty fair, and it saves a bunch of time finding every little thing to make it all work. The only thing missing is the boat winch to lift heavier things...

Chili approved!

corsair23
07-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Pretty cool, Jeff.

Would be cooler though if you bolted that stuff to the LX and went camping.. :lmao:

The riddle I was never able to solve, is once the thing is down on saw horses, how do you get it on top of the 80 by yourself? I've got some nice scratches on my roof that I use to prove myself it can't be done eloquently...

Thanks Tim and I agree :thumb:

As to your riddle, that is the rub...Thus the need for a 10' garage door :D. Of course where would I store the rack and tent when not in use then....Hmmm

Another trick set up would be a boom system that extended out from the garage, rack and tent attached, that could be used. Ahh, dreams :hill:

corsair23
07-17-2009, 12:44 PM
:lmao:

That is about identical to the topper lift I had at our old place, but that I assembled myself from Home Depot stuff.

I will say though, the prices seem pretty fair, and it saves a bunch of time finding every little thing to make it all work. The only thing missing is the boat winch to lift heavier things...

Chili approved!

Thanks Bill :thumb:...My home brew solution a few years ago using Home Depot stuff was an absolute failure so I figured it was best for me to pick up something that an engineer probably designed :hill: - Price wise with the 10% off, $15 discount, and free shipping it came to ~$130...Add maybe $20 in wood and hardware and my time and voila.

As for the boat winch to lift heavier things, you mean something like this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/44000-44099/44006.gif

I haven't posted up yet my hard top hoist system that I built but it includes one of those :D...Yeah, overkill I know :lmao:. But, I tend to have to devise creative ways so I can lift heavy stuff on my own. Just have to design something that will attach to the hard top and then the hoist and lift away...Not sure just using heavy duty ratchet straps will be complex enough for me :hill:

Red_Chili
07-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah those winches are cool. What I used was a boat winch designed for a boat trailer... manual only. Kinda slow, but cheap.

Your winch is way cooler.

corsair23
07-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Yeah those winches are cool. What I used was a boat winch designed for a boat trailer... manual only. Kinda slow, but cheap.

Ahh...got one of those too :rolleyes: - I use it lift the utility trailer up on its rear end so I can strap it to the wall....What I really need apparently is a 10 car garage :lmao:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/02200-02299/02211.gif

DaveInDenver
07-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Very similar to the system I use to R&R my WilderNest. I have more passes for more reduction, 'Nests are heavy suckers.

RockRunner
07-17-2009, 02:48 PM
I have something similar but the HD set up. I have two of them set up in the garage, one for the 4runner shell and one for the RTT. My problem is that they are hard to hoist up, I have thought about the boat winch but not done it yet.

I have mine set up with two pulling points. One on the rear and one on the front, I was worried about the weight pulling on the hooks in the ceiling. The winch thing is pretty cool but I would need either 2 or 4 and that gets pricey. I am looking at using two manual winches with straps that pull the ropes for the system so I can tie the ropes off and move the winches to the other set up.

My biggest problem is getting the RTT off the roof of my Dodge, it sits 7' 4"s tall plus another 2"s for the rack it sits on. I need a forklift to take it off since I can not park it in the garage, really sucks. I think it is time for a Lance camper on the back of the truck and the RTT on the 4Runner during hte summer. It is easier to slide the RTT off and on hte 4Runner with the cage and scratches are covered with some rattle can paint.

Jeff I think you need to come up with a adjustable garage door, one that moves the entrance height up and down. :thumb:

corsair23
07-17-2009, 03:07 PM
My problem is that they are hard to hoist up, I have thought about the boat winch but not done it yet.

The version I bought is the "biggest" one Harken makes and will lift per them up to 200#s. I'm not positive what the weight of the rack and RTT are (couldn't find conclusive answers after searching other than the RTT is probably 120#s and the rack less than 80#s :hill:) but I'm estimating they are close, but not over that weight. The effort to hoist the package isn't all that much at all. The one negative is that the minimum weight is 75#s, otherwise the system won't release unless you monkey with it.

Jeff I think you need to come up with a adjustable garage door, one that moves the entrance height up and down. :thumb:

Not me! It would end up overly complicated :). The shizz I think would be one of those tandem garages with a 10' high door and 12'+ ceiling height. Pull in under the hoist system toward the back part of the tandem area, lift off the stuff on top, and done. I can barely fit the LX in the garage as it is and in order to close the garage door I have to remove the spare tire.

Rezarf
07-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Pretty cool, Jeff.

What he said! :thumb::lmao::bowdown:

Red_Chili
07-18-2009, 12:01 AM
Regards maybe using lag bolts in the ceiling... nope, wouldn't do it.
I used Unistrut with through bolts. Overkill... but bulletproof.

RockRunner
07-18-2009, 03:15 PM
[QUOTE=corsair23;112776]West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/62154/377%20710%201748%204294967173/69/Headsail%20Furling/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377 710 1748 4294967173&Ne=69&Ntt=Headsail Furling&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=2&subdeptNum=329&classNum=10898) or all places so I ordered up a kit during a recent sale (10% off, free shipping, and I had a $15 off coupon to boot).

Jeff,
Where did you get the coupon from? I want the 8:1 set up but it is $160 plus tax and shipping. I need to keep my eyes open for the deal you got. I get West Marines flyer's etc. but have never paid attention the coupons part.

corsair23
07-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Jeff,
Where did you get the coupon from? I want the 8:1 set up but it is $160 plus tax and shipping. I need to keep my eyes open for the deal you got. I get West Marines flyer's etc. but have never paid attention the coupons part.

Tom,

Are you rewards member? They sent me an email to update my "boater profile" which was like 5 questions and after that the coupon popped up. I think it was a matter of all of the planets aligning or something that I ended up getting the deal I did :hill: