PDA

View Full Version : Utah trail info

Chris
07-18-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm looking for info, based on personal experience, for trails between the Henry Mtns and Moab. Last year I did such a run from Elephant Hill to Mt Ellen but included some highway miles.

This year we're taking the paved roads to Hanksville and would like to take trails back to Moab. Any advice appreciated. IIRC Perry likes this area too.

TIA, Chris
:cheers:

RockRunner
07-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Perry would be the best I think but there may be others. I wish I could tell you more but I have never taken that route to Moab, someday I hope to.

bh4rnnr
07-18-2009, 09:52 PM
So I’m taking it you know about Bull Creek Pass. Another fun rout into the range is to travel nine miles west on 24 from Hanksville, turn south for the town site of Giles. Here, you will cross the Fremont River, shouldn’t be too bad, last time I crossed was nothing more than a trickle. Sure beats the 6foot drop we had to negotiate in 2007. I have yet to do the Town Wash Road, but this puts you back on the access road from town. Currently, my fav campsite is on the west side of Bull Creek Pass, just below Nasty Flats.

North of Hanksville and the Henrys lie the San Rafael Swell, lots and lots of places to get lost, we traveled a rout in the winter of 08, heading south of I-70 from the start of the San Rafael Reef, inspected the Three fingers Pictograph panel before continuing south to our camp just north of Goblin Valley, the road through our camp lead to Temple Mountain. East of the Henrys and Hanksville you have Robbers Roost. This rout could either lead you north to Rays Tavern and Green River our south to Hite after visiting the Doll House. If you ended north, it looks as there are some routes to take you from I-70 to Moab, west of 191 via dirt roads. Please report back.

South east of the Henrys, you have Blue Notch Canyon, have yet to travel but I’m told the water of Lake Powell is oh so refreshing. It sounds like you’re again interested in Beef Basin. Word of caution; know how to work your PLB before you go, will save you lots of headache! There are two routes into the basin, one coming in from Cottonwood Canyon and 211 or south from Monticello. Do not go to Monticello for food on Sunday, as the grocery store is closed! Once in the basin, you can take Ruin Park to Bobby’s Hole and Canyon lands. E-hill will take you out. Lockhart Basin will take you the rest of the way into Moab.

Bring lots of Water and Gas.

:beer::beer:

Chris
07-19-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks Perry! Yes, Bull Creek Pass is our starting point. IIRC your last mention is what I'm looking for - Ruin Park to Bobby's Hole to Elephant Hill. I'm using "Beef Basin" loosely since I'm still vague on the specifics though getting closer now that I can consult my maps from last year. Your caution of PLB made me Google it - Personal Location Beacon? :confused:

I always travel with too much water, if there is such a thing, but none of us had any gas concerns last year. I typically carry 10 gallons but have yet to have to use any of it on a trail. (Highway's a different story :o )

:cheers:

wesintl
07-19-2009, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't go down (or up if your going north) cottonwood wash. It's kinda boring. There is plenty to explore around dark canyon going south from beef basin. It'll dump you out on 95 to get across the colorado.

NG manti la sal #703 is helpful for this area.

bh4rnnr
07-19-2009, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't go down (or up if your going north) cottonwood wash. It's kinda boring. There is plenty to explore around dark canyon going south from beef basin. It'll dump you out on 95 to get across the colorado.

NG manti la sal #703 is helpful for this area.

I dont know about boring for Cottonwood Wash, I enjoy the high canyon walls, it does however get crowded on the weekends, being so close to 211. Having not been to Dark Canyon yet, I cant speak for it. I'm sure you'll chim in more, or maybe Martin when he's not patroling the San Juans.

Beef Basin, the route through the actuall basin can be traveld in a few short hours, though i'd leave more time for exploration, pm me if your interested in some of the stuff that is out there. I've only touched Ruin Park, this is where the two deputys found me after I turned on my PLB, not knowing I was activating it (yeah, once on, it sent a signal to the Air Force).... From Ruin Park, you travel through Boby's Hole and into Canyonlands, puts you close to Chesler Park and the Needles Overlook. After leaving the park, it's just a short drive to the turn off for Lockhart Basin. This strech is about 50 miles and puts you out in Moab. Nothing technical untill the last few miles before Hurrah Pass.

As far as Bull Creek Pass, I've used the route into the Henrys from Hanksville, leads you to Wickiup Pass, signs point the way for the 10,480ft Bull Creek Pass. On the west side of Southern Ridge, just below "Nasty Flats" is my favorite campsite, nestled amongst the Aspens. If you have time, I might have you inspect a road I spotted during my last treck during the 4th, on the west side of Bull Creek Pass, the road heads north.

:beer::beer:

wesintl
07-19-2009, 04:31 PM
There are alot of cottonwood washs ;) i mean the one from 95 by arch canyon north to beef basin. There is another road a little west that runs north and south. The cottonwood wash north of I70 is the swell is nice :D

bh4rnnr
07-19-2009, 05:05 PM
There are alot of cottonwood washs ;) i mean the one from 95 by arch canyon north to beef basin. There is another road a little west that runs north and south. The cottonwood wash north of I70 is the swell is nice :D

Sorry, I ment Cottonwood Canyon. It heads south from 211.

Chris
07-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks Perry & Wes. I appreciate the help.

Beachboy
07-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Beef Basin has some great ruins, especially Ruin Canyon(hill side on the right after you are in the canyon) if you have time or interested.

Chris
07-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Yeah, saw them last year and plan to spend more time there this time.