PDA

View Full Version : Jenny Creek Work Day: August 1

AxleIke
07-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Got this changed with the BRD, so we should be good to go for the first. I will confirm at the next meeting, as the gal we are going with has been out in the field for quite some time.

On the list of projects:

Signage. Bill, if you can't make it, please forward me a list of the routes you have that you'd like to see. Can't guarantee anything, as the MVUM isn't out yet, but you never know....

Repair of post and cable: dig out the end posts, straigten them, and refill with packed dirt. I was pushing for cement, and I'll check with BRD to see if thats going to happen.

UB had a suggestion of getting some cable clamps and putting them in on both sides of the interior poles to try and spread the load off of the end poles when snow/vehicles hit the stuff. I'll be checking on that too.

Meet up is at 9am in Rollinsville unless something changes with BRD. We'll head up, and sign first, as I understand it, then at the top, get the post and cable done.

Who's in?

Uncle Ben
07-20-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm in. Do we need any diesel powered tools?

FJBRADY
07-20-2009, 01:42 PM
I think I will be able to make this.

timmbuck2
07-21-2009, 12:26 PM
I am in

AxleIke
07-21-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't believe we NEED any diesel tools, but if you have something that might make the above listed jobs easier, I'm sure they'd be appreciated. I'll double check with BRD.

Thanks guys!

Uncle Ben
07-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Isaac,
IS BRD suppling concrete? How about a generator? Are we pre-approved for club money?

Romer
07-26-2009, 09:29 AM
The club approved buying food for volunteer projects, no motion or amount was made for this project.

How much is needed?

Tch2fly
07-26-2009, 10:21 AM
At this point I do not know if I can make it to the workday but I have 2-50 lbs bags of concrete leftover from last year that can/should be used. I should know if I will attend a bit later this week, if I can't go I will get the bags to someone.

Frankly I am not sure how much concrete work can be done since the problem areas are still going to be cover by snow (as was the case last year)

AxleIke
07-26-2009, 11:15 AM
BRD has not called me back yet. I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Uncle Ben
07-26-2009, 11:51 AM
The club approved buying food for volunteer projects, no motion or amount was made for this project.

How much is needed?

Food good! ;) I'm guessing about 4-6 bags of conrete and a large generator rental large enough to power a small cement mixer. I want to mix the crete that we use around the end posts this year for a stronger and wetter mix. I am also going to bring my anchor driver and do a test/demo anchor. We should also get a box of cable clamps too. Anybody remember what size the cable is?

BTW what is the headcount on whos going? I plan on headed up Friday evening for an overnight adventure.

FJBRADY
07-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Michele and I are planning on being there:):)

art hog
07-26-2009, 01:27 PM
I think I can be there. Maybe friday night too.

AxleIke
07-27-2009, 02:16 PM
I got a hold of Cat today, but no luck. Karen, who was handling our work day, busted her wrist, so we may be going with Brian. Which is fine, but Brian is off until Wednesday, and he has the details of the project.

At this point, I'm fairly sure BRD will have what we need for the signing. UB, how much trouble is it to bring the trailer/ stuff for the concrete? I think we should bring it anyway. We don't need very much Concrete, AFAIK. There aren't that many poles that are knocked down (unless more damage has been done recently).

Ken, is the concrete okay for the club to purchase w/out approval, or should we post up an online vote?

AxleIke
07-27-2009, 02:18 PM
So far I count 4-5 people. That should be good, as we can split up, and have one group head up to the top, and do the posts, and one or two trucks stay to do the signing.

treerootCO
07-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Just traded shifts so I can attend but need to make sure nothing is needed for the rally before I commit.

Uncle Ben
07-27-2009, 03:37 PM
I got a hold of Cat today, but no luck. Karen, who was handling our work day, busted her wrist, so we may be going with Brian. Which is fine, but Brian is off until Wednesday, and he has the details of the project.

At this point, I'm fairly sure BRD will have what we need for the signing. UB, how much trouble is it to bring the trailer/ stuff for the concrete? I think we should bring it anyway. We don't need very much Concrete, AFAIK. There aren't that many poles that are knocked down (unless more damage has been done recently).

Ken, is the concrete okay for the club to purchase w/out approval, or should we post up an online vote?

Isaac et al, I will buy the concrete and donate the concrete. Rental of the large Genset would be a nice club donation I would think.

AxleIke
07-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Props sir! And thank you!

As for the head count, I'll be there Sat. I have plans with the :Princess: on Friday evening for a play, so I'm out for camping. Any interest in camping Sat night instead?

corsair23
07-28-2009, 01:43 AM
At this point I do not know if I can make it to the workday but I have 2-50 lbs bags of concrete leftover from last year that can/should be used. I should know if I will attend a bit later this week, if I can't go I will get the bags to someone.

Isaac et al, I will buy the concrete and donate the concrete. Rental of the large Genset would be a nice club donation I would think.

Do we need to buy more concrete? Of course logistics wise getting the concrete from down south to up north could prove problematic...

FJBRADY
07-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Do we need to buy more concrete? Of course logistics wise getting the concrete from down south to up north could prove problematic...

I can bring up the two bags of concrete Mike has if he can't make it on Saturday.

Let me know.....

AxleIke
07-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Just got off the phone with Brian.

We are confirmed for a 9am meet up in Rollinsville for those coming Sat morning (me, anyone else???)

Scope of the work will be mainly Post and Cable repair, and additions, particularly on the entrance to BWR. There will also be some signing, but just repair/replace of existing signs. We will also be "prettying" the kiosk.

For those camping:

We will meet up at Yankee Doodle Lake at the Kiosk around 10am, but it could take as long as 10:30, so enjoy the morning!.

Brian wanted to emphasize very strongly that NO POST AND CABLE REPAIR BEGIN UNTIL HE GETS THERE. There are some new ways he has to do things, and they seem to work well elsewhere.

We will need something like 15 bags of concrete. BRD has concrete, but whatever we bring will certainly be appreciated.

UB, Brian said if you wish to haul the mixer up there, you can, but that the new procedures he is using, with the dry mixing in the hole, have provided great strength and resilience elsewhere. He said posts have been pulled out on other trails and it was the surrounding dirt that failed, not the concrete.

He certainly won't turn down the help, but if you wanted to spare your mixer the ride up Rollins Pass, he said it wasn't necessary.

The cable clamps are a go, and BRD has a bunch of them.

The anchors are a possible go, Brian said he'd like to see them first, but if he thinks they look good, we'll put them in.

Things we need to bring:

Shovels, gloves and strong backs! Everything else the BRD should provide.

The concrete is a bonus, so if we can get that from the southside, the FS would be grateful for the donation.

Let me know who all is showing up on Saturday morning, so we know to wait for you.

subzali
07-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Is there someone who is heading up that I can meet with yet this week? I have a signboard that Isaac said could be installed with a poster, like on Argentine...

Each sign backboard is approximately 26" x 44" if i remember correctly, and each comes with two 8' 4x4 posts that have to be bolted on (they are pre-drilled), painted Forest Service brown, and set up. Then the poster can be stapled to the front. If I can get a hold of someone who has a pickup who is coming up I can get that to work. Or maybe we can strap the 4x4s to someone's roof rack.

PM me or post back here and let me know if you can help me get this up to the work site!

nakman
07-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Matt I'm planning on going up Friday night to camp.. not sure when I could get those items from you though but I've got a pickup that would likely enjoy running Jenny Creek on Saturday morning.. ;)

don't suppose you have any plans to drive up north? give me a call..

Uncle Ben
07-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Any ideas of what we should do for the work party luncheon on Saturday? Grill food or pot roast or chili or???????

AxleIke
07-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Well, master of the crockpot, whatever you decide to whip up! :D Pick a food, and I'll bring a side dish of some kind for sure!

60wag
07-30-2009, 04:37 AM
I should be able to make this - unless I have to help my mother inlaw move :( I'll likely go up Friday night.

Uncle Ben
07-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Looking through this tread I have a list of whos coming...

Brian Rasmussen - BRD

AxleIke
Nakman
FJBrady w/Michele - two bags 'crete
Arthog
Timmbuck2
Uncle Ben
Powderpig & Ty
Jacket

Maybe's
Treeroot
60wag
Tch2fly
Red_Chili

Camping Friday Night
Uncle Ben
Nakman

I miss anyone?

Red_Chili
07-30-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm gonna try to make it Saturday, though I won't be much help no doubt. The knee is good, but a bit weak.

That, and I have to fix all the &*%%$%## numerous little subsystems on the Chili with components that seem to have attained end-of-service-life status.

I finally found the service life of my cheapie $25 compressors. Still like them. Just gotta have a spare for every few years, and they ain't $25 any more ($59 from Amazon, still not bad). Shoulda bought a half dozen instead of just a pair with a spare!!

subzali
07-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Tim, if you or Michele will be around on Friday I can stop by. Do you live in Broomfield now? I'm going to head home tonight to pick up the sign and I can drop it off sometime Friday. PM me your address and let me know when would be good to stop by. Thanks.

Uncle Ben
07-30-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm thinking Saturdays lunch will be Elk steak and/or chicken fajitas. Easy to eat as the plate is edible and easy to grill up and pre make. What say ye?

Red_Chili
07-30-2009, 02:37 PM
I suddenly feel a burst of energy to finish fixing the Chili!

AxleIke
07-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Sounds fantastic!

HOORAY.

Just a reminder for folks to bring shovels if they have em!

See you Saturday at 9 in rollinsville or 10-10:30 at the lake!

nakman
07-31-2009, 09:19 AM
I've got just about every implement of destruction I own... also may want to bring some skeeter repellent, it can be bad up there by the lake. See ya folks soon!

:risingsun

powderpig
07-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Ty and I will be up as well. See you guys there

Jacket
07-31-2009, 01:23 PM
My trip up to Schofield this weekend just fell through, so I'll come up and help out.

Anything else needed? Materials, food, drink?

Uncle Ben
07-31-2009, 02:43 PM
My trip up to Schofield this weekend just fell through, so I'll come up and help out.

Anything else needed? Materials, food, drink?

Awesome! The club is feeding the work party tomorrow. That will be Elk steak and chicken fajitas with the trimmings, chips and salsa and water. Anything beyond that for your time up there is your task. I'm headed up in a hour or so and hopefully I will either catch my dinner or it is possible I might not leave the hammock long enough to bait the hook so I might have to just eat a steak and be good with that....mmmmmmmm with Cervesa to wash it down.....OK maybe I will be leaving sooner!

Uncle Ben
07-31-2009, 02:45 PM
I updated the roster for the last time I can....

Uncle Ben
08-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Thank you to everyone who showed up today! I think we got nearly everything on Brian's list done! :thumb::thumb: :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::risingsun:

AxleIke
08-02-2009, 01:32 AM
Yes, we got a TON done. Great work to everyone.

This club is outstanding.

nakman
08-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks again for cooking the awesome eats as well UB.. I didn't have a camera so no pictures from me, but was nice to see such a good showing. :beer2:

FJBRADY
08-02-2009, 10:34 AM
I didn't know work could be so much fun. Michele and I had a great day....thanks UB for the meal and Issac for leading the work day. Great turn out:cool:

Now for some pics.

Beautiful day
Michele captures nature at it's finest
Where did everybody go?
Red Chili driving posts
Matt taking it to the hole!

FJBRADY
08-02-2009, 10:41 AM
More pictures

Loving the 40
Issac showing everyone how to get it done
Insert your own comments if you like
Could not get Issac out of the hole....there he goes again
Mr Rudy blurring the photo going through so fast

FJBRADY
08-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Couple more

Flexy Bill very flexy
UB about to bumper slam the rock

treerootCO
08-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Work group:
http://www.root45.com/upload/JC/DSCF9284.jpg
Rising Sun Kiosk:
http://www.root45.com/upload/JC/DSCF9290.jpg
Uncle Ben's awesome elk and chicken fajitas:
http://www.root45.com/upload/JC/DSCF9333.jpg
Post and Cable doing great:
http://www.root45.com/upload/JC/DSCF9339.jpg
Flexy:
http://www.root45.com/upload/JC/DSCF9342.jpg
Forest Service:
http://www.root45.com/upload/JC/DSCF9365.jpg
Restoration area three years later:
http://www.root45.com/upload/JC/DSCF9384.jpg

Jacket
08-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Time well spent! I enjoyed the day, the work, and the quick run up JC. Props to everyone that gave up a day to come out and give something back.

rover67
08-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Looks really nice up there guys. Sorry we couldn't make it.. the move had us busy. Had no idea how much cruiser crap I had.

leiniesred
08-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks to everyone for their hard work! That was a pretty fun work day.

The mud bog recovery is interesting to me. 3 years and it is still obviously a mud bog! It really does take a long time for things to recover up there.

MDH33
08-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Great job everyone, sorry I missed it. :thumb:

sank
08-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks you guys for helping out up there. I joined your forum just because of that! I'm going to head up this weekend and admire your handywork. Cheers,