PDA

View Full Version : OEM Fuel Tank Question

Air Randy
07-20-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm going back to a metal, under the seat OEM fuel tank. I know the 4 connections on the top of the tank are for the vapor separator and the filler over flow line. On the side of the tank closest to the drivers seat there are 2 more connections. One is at the bottom of the tank and the second one is about half way up the tank.

Correct to assume the fuel flow to the fuel pump/engine is the bottom connection and the one mid way up is the carb return connection?

subzali
07-20-2009, 04:53 PM
makes sense to me, never checked though.

Shark Bait
07-20-2009, 04:55 PM
You mean this?

http://www.sor.com/shared/image/168a2.gif

I believe the one on the side is the sender. Look at the diagrams here (http://www.sor.com/sor/cat168.tam?xax=27289&pagenumber.ptx=1&page.ctx=cat168.tam). Earlier years had only the side port.

Air Randy
07-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Yep, the SOR diagrams were the first place I looked too. On the earlier tanks they show the line going to a filter or pump so you know what it is.

For my year tank they show both the feed and return line going up front but not so you can tell which one is which.

If the side fitting was the feed on earlier years it would make sense that it would be the same here. But, it seems bass ackwards that the return line would be the lowest fitting on the tank. Thus my question to the cruiser gods who may be able to say with certainty which is which.

Hulk
07-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Mine's not going to be much help -- the fuel tank was relocated under the tub in 1979.

corsair23
07-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Randy,

If no one gives you a positive answer before then I can try to look at mine today after work...AFAIK it is totally a totally stock setup

Or, you're more than welcome to come crawl around mine if you want and take a look at how stuff is setup :)

Shark Bait
07-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Call Ron at Rocky Mountain Cruisers. He'll know. :D

Air Randy
07-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Randy,

If no one gives you a positive answer before then I can try to look at mine today after work...AFAIK it is totally a totally stock setup

Or, you're more than welcome to come crawl around mine if you want and take a look at how stuff is setup :)

Jeff, if it's not too much trouble could you take a look at yours to confirm?

corsair23
07-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Randy,

I don't think I'll be much help :( - I looked at my tank and it appears to match up with the pic Chris posted up. As far as I can see I only have one line coming off the driver's side of the tank, about dead center top to bottom/side to side. This is a soft line going down and then out under the 40. I think there is another smaller line (hard line) at the front of the tank on the driver's side going somewhere but hard to see.

With my aftermarket seats and mounting setup it is difficult to see much under there...You're still more than welcome to stop by and take a look at it and see if it makes sense to you :thumb:

Air Randy
07-22-2009, 05:24 PM
What year is your rig? Maybe you've got the older version tank that doesn't have a return line.

If you can follow the line you see coming out of the side of the tank and it leads up to the fuel pump, then we know its the suction line. If thats too big of a pain don't worry about it, I'll keep researching it and I'll find the answer.

ttubb
07-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Mine is a 78. The line to the center of the tank is the fuel return. The line from the bottom is the line to the fuel filter/fuel pump. T

Air Randy
07-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Yeeha! Thats what I wanted to hear :thumb: Thanks!!!

corsair23
07-22-2009, 11:17 PM
What year is your rig? Maybe you've got the older version tank that doesn't have a return line.

12/74 "hybrid" :rolleyes:

Looks like Terry got you covered though :thumb: