PDA

View Full Version : Tornado?

Groucho
07-20-2009, 11:14 PM
I went out to the driveway to see if windows were left down, and saw the top 7' of my neighbors tree in my driveway behind our passat. Looked up at the FZJ80 and saw the windshield was
smashed in, about center, right over the dash. I emAiled nakman a pic, we'll see if he can post it up.

nakman
07-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Dude... what? I heard some rain outside, but didn't think it was anything.. damn man, sorry.

Here's your pic:

Uncle Ben
07-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Sorry Groucho! That really stinks!!! :(

74fj40
07-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Damn dude, that really bites, glad you weren't closing the windows on the car when that happened!

corsair23
07-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Dang :eek:

Storm hit here about 11:30pm...Guess it came from your area and headed south...They were calling for ping pong size hail as possible. Scrambled to get the 40 in the garage amist the pea size hail but other than that and LOTS of rain, enough that it was coming in through the back door, nothing real bad thankfully.

Sorry to see the windshield :( - Oh, and the reports were that funnel clouds had been spotted but not sure where. Maybe now we know...

Hulk
07-21-2009, 01:03 AM
Sorry to hear it. Glad you weren't in it at the time!

Shark Bait, if you're reading this, here is another option for getting your insurance company to pick up the cost of a new windshield.

RicardoJM
07-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Wow Nathaniel, sorry to hear about the windshield. Hopefully that is the worst of the damage and you won't discover more now that the sun is up.

treerootCO
07-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Drifts of hail are still on the ground at 38th and Kipling. I was waiting for it to get really bad and it left as quickly as it came through. The scary part was hearing a tornado siren when you never knew Wheat Ridge had one :eek:

rover67
07-21-2009, 07:50 AM
wow.. sorry man! Glad everybody is OK..

We just had some semi heavy rain and lightening roll through up here.

Squishy!
07-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Last night I woke to POUNDING on my window at my apartment. (South Littleton) and saw Marble sized hail beating my poor 4runner. It literally tore apart the trees around my place and you couldn't see the garages just below my window (second floor and across the parking lot) cause it was coming down so hard...

No hail damage though! Hooray! Sorry to hear about the windshield Nathaniel, I hope you don't find more damage...

corsair23
07-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Went out this morning and the kids buckets in the backyard all had right around 2" of water in them...That is a LOT of water in such a short period of time...

Nathaniel, how do things look this morning?

wesintl
07-21-2009, 10:34 AM
that sucks to deal with.. On the flip side it's a nice clear windshield to look through when replaced.

timmbuck2
07-21-2009, 11:25 AM
garden destroyed for 2nd time this year...medium sized tree uprooted in back yard...all trees on property look like it is winter, no leaves....huge pine tree across the street uprooted....house looks green from all the leaves and pine needles blown against it...wish I was in town to start the cleanup

Groucho
07-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Still haven't had an opportunity to look at it in the daylight. Left for work at 4AM.

Factory Gasket on order from Kansas City.

Tried to insist insurance pick up tab for Toyota Factory glass (5 in country, LA, San Fran and NYC). They told me since aftermarket is available I would end up paying difference between max amount on claim and cost of Toyota part.

Toyota Part $850

Claim will cover $225

My deductible $100

Difference out of pocket $625 + $100 = $725. Not even in the budget.

(If aftermarket was not available in "OEM" then they would HAVE to pick up dealer part. Their idea of OEM is still not as good as Factory Toyota)

Now my only hope, Obi-Wan, is that the factory gasket is here before 4PM Wednesday. I don't trust anything that didn't come from Toyota.

Curious to see what is under the impact area.

Uncle Ben
07-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Still haven't had an opportunity to look at it in the daylight. Left for work at 4AM.

Factory Gasket on order from Kansas City.

Tried to insist insurance pick up tab for Toyota Factory glass (5 in country, LA, San Fran and NYC). They told me since aftermarket is available I would end up paying difference between max amount on claim and cost of Toyota part.

Toyota Part $850

Claim will cover $225

My deductible $100

Difference out of pocket $625 + $100 = $725. Not even in the budget.

(If aftermarket was not available in "OEM" then they would HAVE to pick up dealer part. Their idea of OEM is still not as good as Factory Toyota)

Now my only hope, Obi-Wan, is that the factory gasket is here before 4PM Wednesday. I don't trust anything that didn't come from Toyota.

Curious to see what is under the impact area.

My windshield in the 80 is a PPG that I had put in right after I got the 80 as the old one was very badly pitted. I did do the new Toy gasket but when I need a replacement it will also be a PPG without a second thought!

Beater
07-21-2009, 03:00 PM
agreed on the aftermarket - get the oem replacement, either by sekurit, ppg or other reputable name... you'll be fine.

When I did my 80, got ppg, and re-used gasket. guy wrote in work order that if it leaked, company would replace with new no/charge. (elite/safelite)

j

treerootCO
07-21-2009, 03:04 PM
I think the hail finally killed the roof on the house. I wonder what other surprises I'll find when I get home.

Sorry about the 80 Nathaniel. Did it take out the dash too?

subzali
07-21-2009, 03:41 PM
it didn't take your tree down though?

ttubb
07-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Man, you guys must have really gotten hit! We did not even get any rain in the mountains.

Nathaniel, I hope you get things together in time for the GTR. We can't do it without you! Good luck, T

treerootCO
08-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Insurance came by and will replace the entire roof including taking off the 8 layers of asphalt and the two layers of cedar shake. A new roof will be put back on, up to current code (thanks Crase for giving me that tip) with CDX plywood as the new foundation. :) Wheat ridge has a code for roofing that the shingles have to be rated at 100mph so we'll see if that is covered as well. I doubt it is though...

1. What are the City’s roofing requirements?
For asphalt shingles, the City of Wheat Ridge requires that all shingles be nailed with a minimum of six (6) nails per shingle. Ice and Water shield is required at eaves and shall extend a minimum of two (2) feet inside exterior walls. Drip edge is required at eaves. A mid-roof inspection is required when tear off is complete, roof is dried-in, and between twenty-five (25) and seventy-five (75) percent of shingles are installed. All other types of roofing shall comply with adopted codes.

2. http://www.ci.wheatridge.co.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1401 - Snow Load: 30 Lbs. Sq. Ft. Wind Load: 100 MPH 3-second wind gust

Uncle Ben
08-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Insurance came by and will replace the entire roof including taking off the 8 layers of asphalt and the two layers of cedar shake. A new roof will be put back on, up to current code (thanks Crase for giving me that tip) with CDX plywood as the new foundation. :) Wheat ridge has an insane code for roofing that the shingles have to be rated at 110mph as well so we'll see if that is covered as well. I doubt it is though...

1. What are the City’s roofing requirements?
For asphalt shingles, the City of Wheat Ridge requires that all shingles be nailed with a minimum of six (6) nails per shingle. Ice and Water shield is required at eaves and shall extend a minimum of two (2) feet inside exterior walls. Drip edge is required at eaves. A mid-roof inspection is required when tear off is complete, roof is dried-in, and between twenty-five (25) and seventy-five (75) percent of shingles are installed. All other types of roofing shall comply with adopted codes.

Congratulations!;):lmao::lmao::thumb::thumb:

nakman
08-03-2009, 10:28 AM
6 nails? wow... seems like 4 should be plenty on the standard asphalt stuff. The nails should be just ornamental anyway once that stuff gets hot and sticks together. What if you did a cedar roof, could you even get 6 nails in one before it splits? :confused:

subzali
08-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Way to go Root! :thumb: :thumb:

Seldom Seen
08-03-2009, 07:02 PM
6 nails? wow... seems like 4 should be plenty on the standard asphalt stuff. The nails should be just ornamental anyway once that stuff gets hot and sticks together. What if you did a cedar roof, could you even get 6 nails in one before it splits? :confused:

Mansard nailing pattern, used whenever high winds are expected. Some codes will allow wide crown staples to be substituted which is the equivalent of using 8 nails.

treerootCO
12-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Getting a new roof :grinpimp:

Pics of before and during... cedar shake under all the asphalt

Uncle Ben
12-01-2009, 10:44 AM
I like the old one better....has more of a lived in look! ;) :p: BTW....it's Tuesday!

subzali
12-01-2009, 11:01 AM
gettin' a new porch too I see! Cool! :guapo:

treerootCO
12-01-2009, 11:22 AM
It is much better when I'm not the one doing the work. :D

wesintl
12-01-2009, 11:36 AM
6 dudes on the roof.. lol

subzali
12-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Looks like a good place NOT to sit down! :eek:

timmbuck2
12-01-2009, 11:56 AM
I am a little south of Root, had $25k damage according to State Farm from that storm, which happened while I was out of town. Some of that is hardwood floor warping from a window getting blown out and rain getting in and I did not get back for a few days. Think I had 10 guys on the roof 2 weeks ago getting it replaced. Looking good Mike! Always looks so much easier when you are not doin the work. :beer:

nuclearlemon
12-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Do you have to get a deck, or are the boards spaced close enough? mine were spaced close enough, but the boards were rotten so i had to deck one side and opted to do the other side to make it up to current code and do both:(

Red_Chili
12-01-2009, 12:24 PM
I had to do the same at our last place. Otherwise the gaps leave you with soft spots which are more vulnerable anyway. That was the original vent scheme with the wood shingles... so if you cap it off you have to put in quite a few roof vents. Make sure they do that.

treerootCO
12-01-2009, 02:01 PM
They are decking the entire roof. I'll have to look into vents, I don't see that in the contract. New gutters too.

Red_Chili
12-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah, the vents are crucial. Required by code too (and for good reason). Fortunately they are cheap. The roof will destroy itself without them... not to mention, your utilities will be weird.

Easy enough to cut in now... when the shingles are in, not so much.

treerootCO
12-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Ok, I will make sure they add vents.

This one is for you Bill. ;)

nuclearlemon
12-01-2009, 04:12 PM
they did ridge vents across the top and, if you don't have soffits, they have big plastic vents that they can put underneath the shingles at the edge that vent to inside. looks kinda funky, but works

treerootCO
12-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Bad week to take the roof off. :hill:

subzali
12-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I was wondering if they got it on before it snowed...I'm guessing no? Bummer dude...:(

rover67
12-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Damn dude, throw a new water heater in it and it's good to go for another 15 years, it's practically new now. Looks like you've got a nice place there!

treerootCO
12-08-2009, 07:45 AM
I was wondering if they got it on before it snowed...I'm guessing no? Bummer dude...:(

No roof or gutters but I have sweet ice cycles so that is fun.

Damn dude, throw a new water heater in it and it's good to go for another 15 years, it's practically new now. Looks like you've got a nice place there!

Water heater was replaced as well. Energy bills went from $200 a month for a 744sqare foot home to $100. The new heater kept the temp at 75 for an entire month and only raised the bill $15 from a no heater month.

Lars
12-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Yea, I'm in Arvada, and have the new roof, but not hte gutters. The ice and snow coming off of the roof is kind of cool. The recycled plasic/wood deck is really slick though.

Red_Chili
12-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Water heater was replaced as well. Energy bills went from $200 a month for a 744sqare foot home to $100. The new heater kept the temp at 75 for an entire month and only raised the bill $15 from a no heater month.
That is awesome. Gonna stay there after all?