PDA

View Full Version : Interest in a Fall Moab Run?

AxleIke
07-21-2009, 11:08 AM
I realize that most go to CM every year and get their moab fix.

However, CM has lots of work associated with it, and is also fairly crowded (which is fun, as everyone gets to see homies from other states and clubs).

I'm curious how many would be interested in a Fall trip, just as a "go out, run whatever, and hang out" trip. Laid back, smaller groups on the trails, no work, no worries.

Also, as fall gets into season, the hotel rates go down to $30 a night for those not interested in "roughing it".

I realize I may be jumping the gun a bit, as I don't even have a truck ready to drive yet, but I'd be happy to get things organized in terms of dates, and location of staying, etc....

The rest would just be game day, whatever people feel like, type of wheeling.

We could do movie night, or whatever, like many have done on the other trips.

What say you?

Rezarf
07-21-2009, 11:21 AM
I'd be down, depending on the dates, as I had to miss this years CM.

wesintl
07-21-2009, 11:23 AM
The outlaw run is always a nice but it's not stay in moab and run the local trails but it's still the UT desert and fun to explore new stuff with perry and crew.

Crash
07-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Isaac,
I'm firming up some dates in October with my friends in Moab and will post them up as soon as possible. Like the Denver area September weather, October in Moab is about as good as it gets. I plan on being there then and will keep you informed of my plans.

Jacket
07-21-2009, 12:49 PM
A few years back I went on Nov 1-3 and it was great. Daytime temps on the rocks in the 60's, and nights in the 30's. We camped along Kane Creek, but hotel prices were in the $50 or less range as another option. Nobody was out there....

Squishy!
07-21-2009, 02:20 PM
I would definately be interested. I'll be back from the Honeymoon in Maui (:woot:) Oct 12, and the wife would probably want to go too.

Air Randy
07-21-2009, 04:13 PM
We would be interested. If the campground is open I'm up for staying there in our pop-up on the truck. It's nice having the showers and bathrooms close by. But if you want to camp out somewhere thats OK too.

Are you thinking in terms of a 3 day weekend or longer?

AxleIke
07-21-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm thinking 3 days of wheeling. So, drive days on either side.

I'm open to whatever though. Also, people can come and go as they please, depending on their schedule.

Wes, I definitely don't want to take participants away from the Outlaw's run. Those are legendary. I'm just looking to play out in the red rocks a bit, since I missed CM, so no outlaw for me this year. I'll make sure its not too close to the Outlaw run, so if people want, they can do both.

AxleIke
07-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Steve, that is great news! If you don't mind company, maybe this would be a perfect opportunity!

Crash
07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Randy, I'm with Isaac, three days - at least - of wheeling with a day travel time either side makes the most sense to me. With a relatively small group, you can cover a lot of ground and still have time to hang and visit spots in Moab that you just don't have time for during Cruise Moab week.

We would be interested. If the campground is open I'm up for staying there in our pop-up on the truck. It's nice having the showers and bathrooms close by. But if you want to camp out somewhere thats OK too.

Are you thinking in terms of a 3 day weekend or longer?

Crash
07-21-2009, 09:20 PM
I agree, if a group of us could spend some time with Jack in October, it would be the best of all worlds - great weather, no crowds and lots of territory to explore that very few have ever witnessed. Just remember that Jack's trips are location oriented rather than obstacl oriented. He loves wheeling but there is so much spectacular country to see that is fairly easily accessed that difficult wheeling just isn't necessary. I like to do both and would plan on doing some of each.

Steve, that is great news! If you don't mind company, maybe this would be a perfect opportunity!

rover67
07-21-2009, 09:48 PM
anything that happens sounds like a blast and i'd be up for it.

Steve, what you are talking about sounds wonderful...

AxleIke
07-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Steve that sounds good.

I think that both types could be accommodated if we get enough people. I love to see the back country, but I'd also like to hit some obstacle trails as well.

Art Volmer
07-22-2009, 12:06 AM
I will go depending on dates and my class schedule this fall should be great.

alteredvision
07-22-2009, 09:16 AM
sounds like a great time to me, but I would have to know the trails because my truck is not built like some of yours are. If you were doing the mild to hard trails then I would say I would be in and definitely try to make it.

AxleIke
07-22-2009, 09:49 AM
altered, there would likely be options for both each day.

Some folks heading out for scenic, beautiful trails, requiring only 4wd and a good attitude, and some folks heading for more obstacle oriented, modified vehicle trails.

RockRunner
07-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Dates are all I need, Sharon:Princess: has been bugging me for a Moab trip and this could be perfect. Hit Moab one last time for the year and then have my knees replaced:(. If we can do it earlier in September that would be great as I plan on taking three:eek: months of from work to rehab.

Dates that's all we need, dates.:thumb:

PabloCruise
07-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I might actually have a Cruiser operational by Oct or Nov!!!

I definitely miss getting my Moab fix this year.

I will stay tuned.

FYI, I would probably opt for the more scenic options. It would probably be myself and my little guy, possibly my Dad.

Air Randy
07-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Randy, I'm with Isaac, three days - at least - of wheeling with a day travel time either side makes the most sense to me. With a relatively small group, you can cover a lot of ground and still have time to hang and visit spots in Moab that you just don't have time for during Cruise Moab week.

Works for me. I'm willing to take an entire week of vacation if were going to be able to fill all of that time :thumb:

I'm OK with a mix of scenic and challenging trails. I'm not into Pritchett's Canyon or anything like it, but Fins & Things is fun and any stock vehicle can do it. Most of the other trails can also be done by a stocker or with minimum mods like 33's and a rear locker. There are few trails that don't have a bypass for the serious obstacles.

As long as we don't go any where that requires long distances of paved driving at highway speed. The mule can do it but you will all be very tired of waiting for me to catch up at 45 mph :hill:

Beachboy
07-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Depending on dates we could also be out there. Since we lived out there, we could take a group that wants to tour the back-country instead of hard core wheeling.

Inukshuk
07-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Depends on how it meshes with the Outlaws Run. Winter wheeling in Moab is great! It can be busy around Halloween though.

DaveInDenver
07-23-2009, 03:34 PM
It is likely I will be out there the around the weekend of October 17-18. We usually do 24 Hours of Moab, which is October 10-11, but we are skipping the race this year (first time in 6 years!) in lieu of a trip to ride something else. Just, you know, whatever. Nothing written in stone, but maybe we'd probably camp at least one night near Bartlett Wash (so figure Monitor/Merrimac, Bartlett, Klondike Bluffs, etc). Probably do a something over near Top of the World or Fisher Mesa and maybe Gemini Bridges and Gold Bar as a late season ride. It's possible that we'd do an overnight trip (bikepacking) out to Chicken Corners from Moab.

AxleIke
07-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Alrighty. This is sounding good.

I'll check my schedule out in detail this weekend and post up some dates!

gahi
07-28-2009, 12:59 PM
The Pumpkin Chuckin festival is on Halloween this year. Out at the old airport south of town. Its pretty cool to watch the launchers. Just a thought.

timmbuck2
08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
awesome idea....depending on dates of course, but I would be very interested

4RunrFTW
08-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Subscribed. Keep me posted, but I'll be ready for a mini-vacation by then.

AxleIke
08-06-2009, 09:39 AM
Still gotta check on the dates sorry...Truck drama has gotten me down, and I hadn't checked back in on this thread.

I'll get it set up here shortly.

Crash
08-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm getting closer to a set of dates but I want to talk to Perry - I don't want to step on his Outlaw Run dates. The middle of October is shaping up to be a busy time for out of state Rising Sun runs!

timmbuck2
08-19-2009, 01:52 PM
any more thoughts on dates?? really want to plan this ASAP...need to get the time off...

AxleIke
08-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Arg...I missed this. Sorry dudes.

Well, I'm out for the first two weeks of October. Perhaps either the last weekend of September, or after the 14th of October?

Crash
08-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Last weekend of Sept is a strong possibiltiy at this point. I will post up tomorow with real dates. Seems like if you want to go to Utah this early fall with like minded folks the chances are good that Rising Sun will have something for you to do in an organized manner. Rock on!

RockRunner
08-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Arg...I missed this. Sorry dudes.

Well, I'm out for the first two weeks of October. Perhaps either the last weekend of September, or after the 14th of October?

Sounds like I am out unless it is in November/December :p: Going under the knife 9/21 so I am getting all my wheeling/camping days in before then.

AxleIke
09-08-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm out for good.

Enjoy the time with Crash and Jack. I'm bummed I can't make it, but with various repairs to the truck, I've reached an uncomfortable level in the bank accounts. :(

RockRunner
09-08-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm out for good.

Enjoy the time with Crash and Jack. I'm bummed I can't make it, but with various repairs to the truck, I've reached an uncomfortable level in the bank accounts. :(

Get used to that feeling :( I was doing good three years ago and then I bought the 4Runner and well...................things just went downhill from there.:confused::rolleyes:

It is worth it once you get it all dialed in, then we can work on mine:D

timmbuck2
09-09-2009, 10:25 AM
If I can get sliders back on my 80, I will be making this run....if not, I will be getting the 40 ready for the 40's only run!!

:)

T

DaveInDenver
09-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Just as an FYI, I am for sure going to be in Moab October 15 (Thurs) thru 18 (Sunday). I'll be leaving after work on that Wednesday and staying hopefully at Sand Flats. My buddy Steve will be towing his RV trailer, so either I will be riding with him or driving my pickup out. Either way it's mostly about riding bikes.

Air Randy
09-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Any updates on this? Do we still have a group going Sept 26 through Oct 2?

Caribou Sandstorm
09-13-2009, 06:57 AM
I am also going the weekend before Dave.

DaveInDenver
09-13-2009, 08:16 AM
I am also going the weekend before Dave.
Did you find a team to race?

rover67
09-13-2009, 09:26 AM
i'm not gonna be able to make this run after all, too many things going on.

Whoever does go, have fun :)

Crash
09-13-2009, 10:00 AM
For updates on the scheduled Moab Fall Run, please see this thread: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=10720
This is where I plan on keeping you all informed as to what is going on with the trip. Thanks!