PDA

View Full Version : dumb question?

Caribou Sandstorm
07-22-2009, 12:24 AM
I know I probably can make some calls and find out but I am wondering if anyone here knows off the top of their head.....

Was in Ouray/Telluride last weekend for the FJ Cruiser Summit, milder event this year with about half the vehicles. Which made it a bit more fun for most folks.

Anyway, I decided to drive up Imogene and park just a few feet off trail, in a turn out spot, not on tundra...I was about 2/3 the way up Imogene, just passed the last big water crossing, near the old mining cabin.

Great spot for a quick overnight, a bit high up, maybe a bit over 10K in elevation. Had the roof top tent, no noticable trace of my stop. Is that legal or illegal? Plenty of "no camping unless posted" signs well below, but after the last turn and clearly on Imogene Pass Rd., there were no signs stating no camping. Maybe they figure they do not need to post because what nut would camp that high? but it was a great sunset and sunrise.

I guess I can just call the Telluride forest service office tomorrow and ask.

Last summer I was there and there were a ton of folks camped at the summit of Imogene for a ski competition..I just assumed it was ok but then thought, maybe they had a permit....

Shark Bait
07-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Probably OK. You wouldn't want to camp around the mine on the Telluride side. It's posted real well. :D

FJBRADY
07-22-2009, 10:00 AM
You went to the Summit? Where are the pictures???? Don't be slackin, Chris:)

MDH33
07-22-2009, 10:08 AM
I was in Ouray last weekend too. I passed tons of FJ Cruisers and not a single person waved back to me in my old FJ60. :(

Regarding your question Chris, according to the new US Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Map, dispersed camping is not permitted along the Imogene Pass Rd.

Caribou Sandstorm
07-22-2009, 12:21 PM
They probably didn't know your FJ60 was a Toyota...haha..limited knowledge group..My son Ben knows a 40 when he sees one and knows a jeep, as well.

It is classic to hear him, excited for FJCs and 40's and then has a low tone and says jeeeps are not Fjs..

I was pretty stealth up there last weekend. Did not stick around.

Had pics on my phone but something happenend and now no pics...I had a great pic of the sunset and sunrise..

Martin, thanks for the heads up, I knew that spot was too good to be true.