PDA

View Full Version : would you guys hate me if....

thenimirra
07-22-2009, 02:01 PM
I sold the FJ40 for a Ford Bronco, 1996?

<ducking in case someone throws something at me via the interwebby>

I've got a neighbor who REALLY wants my FJ, but I've been holding on to it like a life preserve. Am I being foolish in doing this?

MDH33
07-22-2009, 02:05 PM
It's yours, so you can do what you want with it. :)

However, that 40 of yours is a rare piece of history and it should only go to a good home. My thought would be to try and sell it to someone here in the club first. Does you neighbor even know anything about cruisers?

First hand experience ---> Broncos are turds. (sorry Boom Boom) :bolt: ;)

Red_Chili
07-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Consider which one will mean more to you in 10 years. Will a 1996 Bronco really mean anything to you in 2019? Will it even run?

Your restored 40 certainly will.

We will never hate you. We might wag our heads a bit, and take a moment of sad silence... but never hate you.

Now, if you select a 4Runner instead, we will bake you a cake!! Or PIE!!! MMMMM...

nakman
07-22-2009, 02:20 PM
A 76 Bronco would maybe be ok.. but a 96? http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/ban.gif

wesintl
07-22-2009, 02:21 PM
On the flip side driving a 1962 to the mountains for wheeling is not comfortable or easy. That 62 is best restored and taking mild jogs to DQ etc on the weekends.

It seems you want to get out to the mtns wheelin with us anything later model would be best imho. an fj62, 80 series, 2nd or 3rd gen runner etc.

IMHO not a bronco although the boom boom and you could hang out more:bolt::bolt:

thenimirra
07-22-2009, 02:34 PM
I feel like I would be a fool to let my 40 go for all the reasons that have been mentioned. I mean, I totally feel as if this was a blessing that came my way and I don't want to give it up!

But on the other hand, I've wondered about how well it would do on the trails as well. Don't think I will ever be hardcore wheeler, but I would love to be able to go out on trails with you guys and experience Colorado...even if I'm the last one out of the line of folks, puttering up there behind you!

Jacket
07-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Is that the year with the fiberglass top on the rear that can be removed? I kinda like those.:bolt:

thenimirra
07-22-2009, 02:58 PM
hmm, I don't think so, but to be honest I don't know. Ige, Jeff what do you think?
Either way, you still can't have it! :D

Red_Chili
07-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Matt is pulling your leg...

I feel like I would be a fool to let my 40 go for all the reasons that have been mentioned. I mean, I totally feel as if this was a blessing that came my way and I don't want to give it up!
As a recovering psychotherapist, I am relieved to see that you have a solid grasp on reality after all. :lmao:

But on the other hand, I've wondered about how well it would do on the trails as well. Don't think I will ever be hardcore wheeler, but I would love to be able to go out on trails with you guys and experience Colorado...even if I'm the last one out of the line of folks, puttering up there behind you!
Many of those trails came into existence under the tire tread of that very vehicle.
It will do as well as the resto job you do. Really.

rover67
07-22-2009, 03:08 PM
it'd be really cool to see it running.. If I were you I'd keep it and let it be the beginning of a collection. Maybe get a 4 runner or a 60/62 even an 80 on the cheap and wheel it around a bit.

if you are gonna sell it though, at least keep it in the family :)

Red_Chili
07-22-2009, 03:15 PM
I second that. Get a newer 80 or 60 or (better yet!) 4Runner to satisfy your wheeling needs in the short term. Then take your time and enjoy the journey with the 40 resto.

thenimirra
07-22-2009, 03:36 PM
I love that idea of getting a newer FJ! Although I love the look of the 40s instead of the 60s and 80s. Maybe a newer 40? I've been considering that as well so I can actually GET out on a trail sooner rather than later. The photography seems to be taking over so I have to find more time to do the wheelin I want to do.

this one is really pretty:

http://ads.cruizers.com/classifieds.cfm?adID=1894

Red_Chili
07-22-2009, 03:58 PM
I seem to recall some folks in the club thinking about parting with their quite capable, in-good-condition 40s... don't I?

corsair23
07-22-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm with Wes!

I love my 40 but it is definitely not the most comfortable vehicle for long trips anywhere, including wheeling. I applaud those of us (like Martin, Subzali, Rezarf, etc) that hop in their 40s, drive hundreds of miles, and wheel them :thumb:

I'd keep the '62, restore it, take it out for fun local trips, maybe take it on a trail ride or two. For wheeling I'd look at getting something newer: 60/62, 80, 4Runner, FJC whatever one you like the look of best. A newer FJ40 IMO will not be the answer...Have you ridden in a 40 on a long trip, say 2+ hours? Maybe I'm just a whimp :hill:

Oh, and for SURE I wouldn't sell the FJ40 to buy a '96 Bronco...I'm not saying I would not sell the FJ40 to buy something else (Toyota) if you decide restoring such a rare rig just isn't in the cards or maybe just not something you want to do...Nothing wrong with that. Just try to find a new owner that will appreciate the rig :)

RicardoJM
07-22-2009, 04:39 PM
OhOh - now TheBoomBoom is going to be thinking he can trade his way into a Toyota. Regarding the Bronco, it is a very nice truck. I bought it new off the lot in 96. The fiberglass top comes off. It has a V8 and moves up the mountain passes with plenty of power. It is big and more comfortable than my 40. Aside from it not being a Toyota (which really isn't a problem) it is very capable to get through many of the trails just fine.

FJBRADY
07-22-2009, 04:47 PM
If you can swing it keep the 40 and pick up something more comfortable (Toyota branded of coarse)

I have the luxury of owing a FJC and a 40. Jeff's correct when he says you take a beating in a 40 driving it for two hours on the highway at time....if a 40 is your daily driver I salute you.:bowdown:

With that said I appreciate the FJC even more after driving the 40 all day....it rides like a Caddy.

My advice if you part with the 40 pick up another Toyota......you want to stay in the club don't ya?

thenimirra
07-22-2009, 05:25 PM
of course I want to stay in the club! You guys really are amazing and have been from the beginning. As a matter of fact, oops, I think I forgot to pay my dues! dangit.

Air Randy
07-22-2009, 06:20 PM
I have a 40 that I have modded a lot for wheeling but it still has a worn out F engine in it that wont do much over 45 mph. Heres my .02:

Keep your 40 and just make sure it runs and is reasonably reliable even if it remains totally stock. Other than running around in it for local trips, trailer it for the longer distance trips. Even when I get a good engine in mine I will still trailer it most of the time. My truck gets better fuel mileage trailering the 40 than the 40 gets by itself and there is no comparison on creature comforts.

Your stock rig will be much more trail capable than you may think. Go ride with Zepp sometime and you'll see what a stocker can do with experience behind the wheel.

On the other hand, I had several full size Broncos. They're nice, reliable and pretty good offroad. But they are a totally different class of vehicle. A 40 is old, clunky, slow and uncomfortable but you just can't beat them for old school cool factor.

nuclearlemon
07-22-2009, 06:26 PM
this one is really pretty:

http://ads.cruizers.com/classifieds.cfm?adID=1894

it is pretty, but it's still an early model. if you're going to spend 12k, i'd get a 76+, for the more driveable 4spd trans, disc brakes and 2f motor with better oiling, newer slightly more reliable design, better availability of parts

theboomboom
07-23-2009, 09:05 AM
If this goes through, welcome to the dark(er) side :D

You're gonna love that truck, as long as it's been maintained, don't let these jokers scare you into believing it's going to fall apart. Ford trucks of any era are just as solid as any other vehicle, I've got 126k on my dad's truck, and it's given us just as many issues as his 100 series. Granted, it has been little things on both trucks- starter on the hundred series and an O2 sensor here and there on the bronco. Compare that to what it has taken to get the 40 runnin, and I believe the bronco just makes more sense for you. Do you have any questions I could help answer?

DaveInDenver
07-23-2009, 09:50 AM
These trucks and cars are just things. I had a FJ40 and I don't miss it 99% of the time. When the weather is nice, sure a topless FJ40 bouncing around the mountains is fun. But the other majority of the time they don't fit my needs. Trying to cram 2 people, a dog, 2 bikes and all the other stuff just didn't work. It looked terrible, it drove bad, often was unavailable for Monday commutes. These things are important to me, too.

You might miss yours more than me, but the point of being here on earth isn't accumulation of junk and stuff, it's accumulation of memories and experiences.

I felt that my old FJ40 took more time keeping it running than actually doing stuff, so away it went to someone who could do what needed to be done. It's much happier with Root than it would have been continuing to deteriorate with me. My truck for that past almost decade has been reliable and thoughtless companion, even if most people consider it the epitome of soul-less blanddom. Oh well, I'd rather have a boring white truck with bikes on top in Moab than a rusty collector's piece in the garage. Some people take their joy in working on the trucks, but it just doesn't jive with me. I do it because I have to more than I want to. It's therapeutic to some extent to work on them, but my garage isn't big enough to restore anything and so tripping over stuff, dodging this or that just makes being out there unpleasant and so I do what I need to and would rather be some place else.

So this is the long version of saying that if you decide that your Toyota or otherwise feels to you that it should be less like an act of charity (i.e., like it should be treated like a family pet) than driving a shovel or hammer (i.e., it's just a tool), you are not alone. Old Cruisers are a lot of work to keep up, constant chasing parts down, figuring out long forgotten techniques to keeping them road worth. Blah, it's not for everyone and nothing wrong with letting it go to someone else.

Notice though, that I completely agree that yours being very unique should not go to someone who will just hack it to pieces. That would be bad for your karma. Offer to someone who can keep it together, that would be nice. But Rob Meredith's old FJ25 was nicely done, too, so I think keeping to the spirit of a truck that is still used for it's purpose is fine. I'd just hate to see that FJ40 of yours turned into a buggy and abused.

Hulk
07-23-2009, 11:09 AM
A 76 Bronco would maybe be ok.. but a 96?

If you like the cool factor of vintage iron, Nakman is right on. Those first gen Broncos are as collectible and lovable as FJ40s. Later vehicles may be great in every way, but no one will ever want to ask you a bunch of questions in a parking lot about your 1996 Bronco.

I second that. Get a newer 80 or 60 or (better yet!) 4Runner to satisfy your wheeling needs in the short term. Then take your time and enjoy the journey with the 40 resto.

If you're looking for something that is simply ready to hit the trail, I would get an 80, a 4Runner or an FJ Cruiser. You'll have fewer things to fix, and maintenance on a more modern vehicle is easier in terms of parts and getting someone else to work on it. (If you're working on it yourself, in many ways older vehicles are easier to work on). The FJ Cruiser would be a ton of fun, IMO. If we didn't have kids, I would own one now.

If you want to maintain some old vintage coolness, but want something more comfortable, get an FJ55.

it is pretty, but it's still an early model. if you're going to spend 12k, i'd get a 76+, for the more driveable 4spd trans, disc brakes and 2f motor with better oiling, newer slightly more reliable design, better availability of parts

I agree with this. That's one of the reasons I bought a 1981 FJ40. It has a great heater, 3.7 gears for better driving on the highway, brakes that will stop on a dime, and it's hardly ever needed anything more than regular fluid changes.

Sheba, have you ever driven your 40 on an easy local trail? I'd hate for you to sell or trade it before you had a chance to do that. Does it need a ton of work to make it driveable? If it's really a long way away from being ready to hit the trail, I wouldn't blame you for wanting to trade up to something that is ready to go -- but I'd still suggest a newer FJ40, a Pig, or something with a Toyota emblem on it.

DaveInDenver
07-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Later vehicles may be great in every way, but no one will ever want to ask you a bunch of questions in a parking lot about your 1996 Bronco.
I get some of that in my truck. Mostly it's due to the WilderNest nod, which is more subtle than the Cruiser wave, but happens often enough.

Hulk
07-23-2009, 01:27 PM
I get some of that in my truck. Mostly it's due to the WilderNest nod, which is more subtle than the Cruiser wave, but happens often enough.

Yeah, but your truck is cool.

Mendocino
07-23-2009, 02:16 PM
I sold the FJ40 for a Ford Bronco, 1996?

<ducking in case someone throws something at me via the interwebby>

I've got a neighbor who REALLY wants my FJ, but I've been holding on to it like a life preserve. Am I being foolish in doing this?

I was serious on day one when you got that thing that I would be happy to buy it from you if you sold it. Let me know what you want and maybe we can keep it in the club and you can get something that you can use immediately.

PM me if interested.

:)

Beachboy
07-23-2009, 03:20 PM
If you don't sell your FJ40 to your neighbor, I have a nice FJ40 - 1977 for sale.

thenimirra
07-31-2009, 02:59 PM
I would definitely sell it to someone in the club first.

BTW: I like the shape of the 4 runners.