PDA

View Full Version : Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University coming to Conifer!

subzali
07-22-2009, 09:44 PM
For those of you who live up in Conifer/Aspen Park/Evergreen area, think about coming to the Financial Peace University hosted by Dave Ramsey!

http://www.daveramsey.com/

My home church, the Aspen Park Seventh-Day Adventist Church, will be hosting the series, starting August 24. Every session will be on Monday nights from 6:30pm - 8:30pm, going through November 23. For those interested pm me so we can work out how to purchase the workbook materials for the class! Hope to see some of you Coniferans/Baileyans/Evergreenans up there! :thumb:

http://aspenparksda.org/article.php?id=9

PabloCruise
07-23-2009, 09:27 AM
I have heard great things about his course. We have not done it - yet.

I think it will be way fun for you two to be dialed in financially before you are even married. It will be good.

PS: I will wait till I can do this in NoCO...

Chris
07-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I've heard him on the radio but have to say the road to 'financial peace' isn't paved by paying people like him $89.95/year. Financial decisions based on a simple concept is the key: If you can't afford to pay cash (excepting a sane mortgage) you shouldn't buy it.

subzali
07-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Chris, I don't understand what you mean. I agree with you, but in our society today people don't live by, "If you can't afford to pay cash (excepting a sane mortgage) you shouldn't buy it." People live by, "if I have enough credit then I'm going to buy it because I want it now." Plus to a lot of people like me I've never really had an interest in money, I figured as long as I had a job and had money in my bank account between paychecks then I would figure out a way to make it work out. I had no comprehension how to plan for the future and had no idea what was possible for me to provide to myself (for example - to be partially or almost completely self-insured because I've made good financial decisions early on in my life) and I needed someone to tell me about practical things, in a way I could understand, that I didn't even really know about how to deal with, like identity theft, budgeting, getting out of debt, smart insurance choices, investing, and planning for retirement - all of those words and phrases would have been just a blur of words to me a year ago but now I have an interest in them because I needed someone to explain them to me in a concise, easy manner. What Dave Ramsey's book and classes have done for me are at least a couple things: 1) It has fulfilled that need of mine for someone to explain these things in simple terms that are workable, and 2) Jacki and I have been able to go through these classes together so we have a baseline to work from as we go into our marriage (we've been able to come together and plan on a lot of financial decisions) so hopefully that will help relieve a lot of common problems in married couples, especially young ones of our generation.

If you read his book or listen to his DVD series you would know what I mean. Now, I don't have a problem with paying him $93 (a one-time fee BTW) for his workbook materials that go along with his class, Financial Peace University. From what I can tell, that covers the cost of the materials and a small markup for profit - after all he is selling a product and he should deserve to make a little money on it. But for ignorant people like me it helps to have the worksheets, notes, book, CD set, and everything else that comes with that packet and in the end I think it's worth a LOT more than a one-time cost of $93. Same goes for his DVD set, which is $299. It's expensive to put on a video recording of a quality seminar like he has, so for the 14 or so DVDs that are included I feel like it's a pretty good price. And again, it's a one-time purchase, and you can use it over and over again if you or your church or at your work you want to host a series of classes. So I don't know where you get the $89.95/year figure from, but it's all one-time and the value of the materials, IMHO, greatly outweighs the cost of the product.

Rezarf
07-24-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm just wrapping up his Total Money Makeover book. It was a great read, and very informative. We are implementing lots, but not all of his advice, I'd recommend the read for sure!

Mendocino
07-24-2009, 11:43 AM
I took his on-line financial status quiz to see what I would have at retirement. I was very happy to see that using MY plan I am forecast to have more money than using HIS plan as calculated by his online tool.:cool::D

Overall I think he is doing a good thing and for ~$100 it is money well spent if you apply the lessons.:)

Chris
07-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Chris, I don't understand what you mean. I agree with you, but in our society today people don't live by, "If you can't afford to pay cash (excepting a sane mortgage) you shouldn't buy it." People live by, "if I have enough credit then I'm going to buy it because I want it now."

That's my point exactly Matt. Our society expects instant gratification and will ruin themselves financially to get whatever it is they want. Big house, big toys, big debt. Ramsey's focus on getting rid of debt is fine, my point is to not get the debt in the first place.

I may be too cynical but he's big business himself and makes a ton of cash selling his products. There are plenty of books on living debt-free at the library and they're free to read. None of his ideas are that unique.

The basics of financial success are simply being smart, living within ones means and not accumulating debt.

:cheers:

Chris
07-24-2009, 01:10 PM
I took his on-line financial status quiz to see what I would have at retirement. I was very happy to see that using MY plan I am forecast to have more money than using HIS plan as calculated by his online tool.:cool::D

I bet your plan doesn't include a lot of debt. ;)

subzali
07-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Chris, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm not saying he's the only one or that his ideas are unique, but I think he has a great presentation of the topics and I'm just offering up a 13-week class to those who are interested. I also don't 100% agree with everything he says, but I know the basic principles he's founded on are solid and true.

If you're in debt, want to get out of debt, want to have financial security, and have the self-discipline to go to the library and read a few books (some of which will naturally be good, some will be bad - BTW I bet his book is in the library as well ;)) and take the time to figure out a system that will work for you then more power to you. The power of Dave's presentation is the small-group accountability setting, which week-to-week during the 13 week course I've found to be a HUGE help in keeping me on track when many times I've wanted to fall off and do something else. Again, just my experience, and again, yes, only one way of many to approach the subject, I'm glad you and Jeff have money all figured out and my hat goes off to you for that :thumb:

Chris
07-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I think we're really on the same page Matt. I prefer to read a book and you a presentation which is just an example of how there are different approaches that work for different people. I commend you on looking forward and thinking about this now. I have friends my age (55+) that are facing a bleak financial future because they never thought today would come. I'll still hold to my point of not buying that which you don't need including products Mr Ramsey touts to line his own pockets. ;)

Having money all figured out? Not w/o mistakes of course but Barb & I are able to enjoy ourselves and enjoy being retired.

:cheers: