PDA

View Full Version : Beginner 4wd Trails?

disconnected111
07-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Hey guys my wife and I are looking to do some camping and would really like to hit a trail that doesn't require any aftermarket gear. I have a 2001 Toyota 4runner Limited and want to give the 4wd thing a go before I start the modification process (give the ol' truck a beating). Any recommendations? Thanks for your help! I live in the Boulder area but don't mind doing some driving to get there (within the state)...

Air Randy
07-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Go to Traildamage.com

It has a list of virtually all the 4x4 trails in Colorado along with pictures, explanations of obstacles, rankings, etc. You'll be able to find tons of places that are within the capabilities of your vehicle.

Rezarf
07-26-2009, 06:29 PM
If you want to go really easy. Rollins Pass is only 40 minutes from Boulder outside of Nederland. It is uber easy... now Jenny Creek (in the same area) you might save for another day.

Pick up the Colorado Backcountry off road trail book at any book store and have some fun!

I would suggest making sure you do have a few items in your rig and knowing how to use them before heading out, like a tow strap and a place to attach it front and rear, a good full sized spare, and perhaps a hi-lift jack. Other than that, have fun!

Drew

CardinalFJ60
07-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Kingston Peak is still one of my favorites for something with great views and a few spots where you need to pay just a little more attention to the trail. That might be a nice trail or maybe Coney Flats for a slightly more challenging yet fun run. even Caribou up in Ned may be an option as wel

HTH

nuclearlemon
07-26-2009, 07:43 PM
check out our bill moore run the sunday after the rally.

disconnected111
07-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Perfect, just the info I was looking for

wesintl
07-26-2009, 11:08 PM
You can do a lot of passes all over the state.

I navigated hancock and tomichi in stock 80. Probably even lower than stock. you can do mosquito, georgia, etc. Great scenery on the passes too!