PDA

View Full Version : Nuts and Bolts source

mhdsummers
03-25-2006, 10:35 AM
I still go to Home Depot to get nuts and bolts and everytime I do I want to kill myself. Can someone suggest a place to get auto quality, metric nuts and bolts.

I am in Broomfield.

Seldom Seen
03-25-2006, 12:28 PM
http://www.aaametric.com/ out of the way but worth the trip if you buy common used sizes in bulk.

Nay
03-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Try Ace Hardware or True Value. Much better for every size of grade 8. I have no idea why Home Depot has such a sorry selection...

Bruce Miller
03-27-2006, 11:05 AM
McGuckin's Hardware in Boulder has a very complete, old fashioned hardware section. Nothing is packaged, you buy what you want in the quantity you want.

Hulk
03-27-2006, 12:11 PM
If you have a Lowe's in the area, they usually have a very good selection of metric and even metric stainless bolts.

El Jefe
03-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Lowe's (at least the one at I25/Arapahoe) got rid of the nut/bolt bins and went with the prepackaged bits. Don't know if they still have the stainless parts or not...

Chris

Hulk
03-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Lowe's (at least the one at I25/Arapahoe) got rid of the nut/bolt bins and went with the prepackaged bits. Don't know if they still have the stainless parts or not...

Chris

Aw crap! They were better when they were Eagle. (sound of teeth gnashing)

wesintl
03-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Murdochs has a good selection of bins, Ace does too. AA Trading post seems to have more than a standard Ace but it may be the same in a smaller building. It's impossible for a comp slave worker to get to aaametric during the week. :(

Rzeppa
03-27-2006, 08:49 PM
No hardware store I have ever been to (and I spend a LOT of time in hardware stores) has proper JIS metric. Neither does AAA (BTDT). I either special order from Fastenal or buy from dealer.

Short primer: Two main kinds of metric (1) DIN/ISO is what you find in hardware stores. For example an M8 x 1.25 fastener will have a 13mm head. (2) JIS is Japanese Industrial Standard. That same M8 x 1.25 fastener will have the proper 12mm head. Makes a big difference in certain applications, such as where clearance is an issue. For example carb mounting nuts and exhaust flanges. Smaller difference is not having to carry 13mm or 15mm wrenches.

Dealer pricing on fasteners is surprisingly competitive with aftermarket. When I buy from fastenal I buy 100 lots for good price breaks. Note that there are a fair number of special sized fasteners which are really best gotten from dealer, examples include exhaust and engine/tranny related fasteners.

Uncle Ben
03-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Aw crap! They were better when they were Eagle. (sound of teeth gnashing)

WORD! :rant: :rant: :(

Seldom Seen
03-28-2006, 03:36 AM
No hardware store I have ever been to has proper JIS metric. Neither does AAA

Not so http://www.aaametric.com/jis.htm and they have plenty more in stock, just have to know what to ask for, as they are not to forthcomming with info.

wesintl
06-04-2007, 11:39 AM
http://www.aaametric.com/ out of the way but worth the trip if you buy common used sizes in bulk.

WOW... AAA metric rocks! I needed some m6x16 pan head zinc. I wanted yellow zinch but they didn't have it. There were like .09 each. Too bad they don't have sat morn hours or luch hours but I can work around that.

Red_Chili
06-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Group buy? Jeff, could you set it up with Fastenall? Or AAA someone?

treerootCO
06-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I'll have a wholesale account as soon as I get my CO sales tax license

DevinSixtySeven
06-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Ace at South Boulder Rd and Wadsworth (Lafayette) has a great selection of fasteners, Lowes/Home Despot are worthless.

They won't have JIS, tho.

-Sean

Rzeppa
06-04-2007, 06:52 PM
When I tried AAA Metric several years ago, they did not have stock in JIS, only DIN/ISO (for M6 there is no difference, but for M8, M10 and M12 there is). Maybe they've changed, dunno. I ended up going with Fastenal. I phoned in my order, and went and picked it up at one of their retail outlets at the will-call counter the next day. I would definitely second what Dave wrote, other than you normally have to wait a few days for it to come in.

beatdown83fj60
06-04-2007, 09:18 PM
I have used my local Carquest as a source for a lot of nuts and bolts, although usually for the ones that need to be beefy and made for automotive apps. like shackles bolts or steering box bolts. They have also been successful in finding me bolts with wierd length shoulders, or ones that were designed to have bushings of some sort around them.

subzali
06-04-2007, 10:14 PM
I've used AAA for the past couple of years since I got my 40, and if they didn't used to carry JIS they certainly do now. That's where I sourced my Allen head air rail plugs. Awesome. You just gotta tell 'em you're looking for JIS, they have stainless too, at least in common smaller sizes that I've needed. Somewhat unfortunately they're only located in downtown Denver whereas Fastenal is all over the place.

Jacket
04-16-2013, 04:17 PM
I was in a Murdoch's earlier today and found this drawer.

It was M6 and M8 only, but they had 5 or 6 different lengths of each and all in class 10.9. :cool:

Rzeppa
04-17-2013, 04:46 PM
I was in a Murdoch's earlier today and found this drawer.

It was M6 and M8 only, but they had 5 or 6 different lengths of each and all in class 10.9. :cool:

M6 is 10mm head in both DIN/ISO and JIS. The hex sizes start diverging at M8.