PDA

View Full Version : Crap - How is the rain there?

Romer
07-27-2009, 06:49 PM
In DC for another lovely week. Bonni calls to say our basement is flooded and my home theater receiver is under water.

Crap

She texted me pictures of the outside before she knew it was flooded.

Beater
07-27-2009, 07:04 PM
it was a south side thing. barely wet at 6th and colorado, flooding below belleview. over and done in 20 mins

Uncle Ben
07-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Louisville is just starting to get wet from a very nasty looking cloud....hopefully it's only water! Really sorry to hear that Ken! Anything I can do?

AxleIke
07-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Ouch Ken. Sorry to hear :(

wesintl
07-27-2009, 08:06 PM
bummer.. That cloud came over the tech center. A lot of water fast but it seemed to be typical cell. Maybe it stalled just east? Clouds rollin in again, I hear thunder

Romer
07-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Louisville is just starting to get wet from a very nasty looking cloud....hopefully it's only water! Really sorry to hear that Ken! Anything I can do?

Thanks Kevin. I appreciate the offer

Talked to Sarah and got a less excited summary of what happened during the clean up
The basement was wet and my stereo seems to be fine. The shelf the stereo was on was wet, but looks like the feet of the receiver kept it out of the water, at least I hope so
Apparently in my Garden level, the window filled with water and it leaked in that way. Bonni said there was 5 inches of water at the bottom of the window when she first noticed it, its dry now. Not a sump or French drain issue. In the second picture you can kind of see the landscaping rock wall that rises from the bottom of the well to the ground level. There is no liner there, so something for me to work on. Window just to the right of the arrow. Need to figure out how to fix this one. Thoughts??

Romer
07-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Its bad enough it happens, but when I am gone all week it makes it harder

Fortunately Sarah came home and helped get it taken care of. They were still using the shop vacs to clean up water when I just called

RicardoJM
07-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Its bad enough it happens, but when I am gone all week it makes it harder

This I can empathize with. I still vividly remember the feeling in my stomach listening to my wife explain to me the heater stopped working in the middle of the night and the temperature is below freezing - and I'm in Buffalo NY:(. Fortunately, my father was able to drop by the house and lend a hand. Hopefully this situation ends up the same as mine did, i.e. everything is A-OK when you get back in town:cheers:.

Uncle Ben
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks Kevin. I appreciate the offer

Talked to Sarah and got a less excited summary of what happened during the clean up
The basement was wet and my stereo seems to be fine. The shelf the stereo was on was wet, but looks like the feet of the receiver kept it out of the water, at least I hope so
Apparently in my Garden level, the window filled with water and it leaked in that way. Bonni said there was 5 inches of water at the bottom of the window when she first noticed it, its dry now. Not a sump or French drain issue. In the second picture you can kind of see the landscaping rock wall that rises from the bottom of the well to the ground level. There is no liner there, so something for me to work on. Window just to the right of the arrow. Need to figure out how to fix this one. Thoughts??

What did you expect when you put a boat on the window sill? :rolleyes::lmao::lmao:

You can see the grade of the back yard gives a direct route of flow to that window! You have to change the grade so water can flow away from the house or it will happen again. Sorry man!

Romer
07-27-2009, 09:00 PM
What did you expect when you put a boat on the window sill? :rolleyes::lmao::lmao:

You can see the grade of the back yard gives a direct route of flow to that window! You have to change the grade so water can flow away from the house or it will happen again. Sorry man!

Actually, thats a picture from the previous owners. Took it from the for sale ad I had saved off

I was hoping I could just put a sill in their from the rock to below ground. Grade changging will be more difficult

Thanks for the input:beer:

corsair23
07-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Bummer Ken!!

Hopefully it turns out to be minor comparatively but you know if you guys need anything or need some help, give a shout out :thumb:

Hulk
07-28-2009, 02:30 AM
Sorry to hear it, Ken. Glad the electronics didn't all get fried.

RockRunner
07-28-2009, 07:52 AM
It looks to me that you have a down spout right by the window, I would move that one first. We had the same problem and once we moved the exit area of the spout it stopped.

The spout most likely is filling up the area around the window till it gets to tall and the well gets filled. You can get those snake like hoses to attach to the drain and move it where you want to to avoid filling "Romer's Lake" in the front yard.

Or you can do what UB is saying and regrade the whole back area so all the water will drain into the street.

nakman
07-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Sorry, Ken. At my last house I had a similar issue, and ended up raising the grade (and building two decks and an awning overhead) that reduced the water plus made the water flow away from the window well. My root cause was almost always clogged gutters though, every time it rained hard water could flow off the roof everywhere unless the gutters were completely clear, wasn't the sweetest setup but I did make some improvements to it later on.

But in the interim, I dug down inside that window well about 18" and buried a bucket in there, with some holes drilled into it. Then I tossed a few rocks into the bucket, and installed a sump pump, ran the line up the window well then buried it under the rocks along the house to a spot where it could spew out. In the spring when I got the sprinklers going I'd install the sump pump and plug it in.. and in the fall when I blew the sprinklers out I'd unhook the pump and put it back in the garage. Aside from seeing the 1" PVC come up the window well, it was a perfect band-aid, and it functioned more than a few more times enough to make me somewhat proud of the idea. :D. in fact for the next 6 years that thing ran about once a year, usually when you get those rains that just unload on you and it overtakes all the gutters. Really no different from the sump pump in the basement, just another one.

But our basement almost flooded literally the first weekend we moved in, from the laundry room downstairs that window looked like an aquarium, water at least a foot high. I frantically bailed with a bucket while Michele drove to the 24hr Home Depot to buy a sump pump... ah those were good times..

Red_Chili
07-28-2009, 11:45 AM
I raised the effective height of the window well with timbers to support a more severe grade away from the house. No issues. You may not have to do all that much really... even if you cut a swale it won't be a huge thing, possibly.

Red_Chili
07-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Oh, and make sure you get that basement dry. You may want to at least have a disaster recovery service look at it, the ones who give a free assessment and estimate. Moldy oldies should refer to your listening preferences, not your person.

Mendocino
07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Sorry to hear about this Ken. I hope it all goes well in the end.:)

I have a colleague that went home to New Zealand a couple of Decembers ago when we had a very deep freeze. His pilot light went out on the furnace and all his pipes burst. I believe he had 12,000 gallons of water in the house before a neighbor relized there was a problem. They ended up having to re-plumb, carpet and drywall most of the house.:eek:

Romer
07-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the advice and tips, I think its a little bit of all that

The house is graded with the slope away, the first couple of feet near the window are flat - Probably will grade that down a bit

There is one down spout that ended just a few inches past the window - figure out how to route that differently

The bottom of the well just has 1" of rock - dig that out a few inches add a thicker layer of rock

There is no liner between the dirt and rock wall, as you can ssee from the picture, rushing water madea channel in the the rocks and then filled the bottom of the well with dirt - Thinking putting in some kind of a liner between the rock wall and the dirt

Also look at where the channel got made and provide an alternate path

Freak storm and the above items played together.

Romer
07-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Came home early to pull up the carpet. The google search says I should toss the pad and replace it, can't I just dry it out?

CardinalFJ60
07-30-2009, 05:31 PM
this happened to us when our water heater blew (relief valve). we dried it out, but the room kinda smelled like an old dish towel after you used it, dried it out, used it again, etc. the musty-ness never completely went away.

Uncle Ben
07-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Chuck it! If you decide to re use it sprinkle borax lightly on the floor. That will stop spores from growing.

Romer
07-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks. pad is cheap and not worth years of musk :D

Rented two big fans from Home depot tonight.

Need someone to replace 34x16 feet of pad and put the carpet back down. I know how and have the tools, just dont have the time. Anyone have a recommendation?

Romer
08-02-2009, 05:48 PM
That was a fun 3 days
Yanking out the old pad and drying the carpet

Laying down new pad and stretching the carpet

Lesson learned - rent the stretcher when doing the carpet before Home Depot closes

I pulled the rock well wall out and added a liner and also poured a 3" layer 8" deep (6 below the ground) of concrete to help route the water

Dug a 8 foot drainage trench to lower elevation filled with rock

Extended the gutters and pointed them down hill and away from the well

Tested it with a hose and all the water running downhill in the rock towards the window diverted into the drainage ditch

Thanks for the comments and being there to bounce ideas by

Time for a beer and a cigar

Uncle Ben
08-02-2009, 11:51 PM
That was a fun 3 days

Time for a beer and a cigar

Nice Job Ken! Sounds like you busted some tail and got a huge job done! Congrats!!!:thumb::thumb: