PDA

View Full Version : fixed my fan shroud...

nakman
07-27-2009, 10:33 PM
I think I found what was contributing to my "getting hot" issues going up Monarch Pass... my fan shroud was cracked, and part of it was actually worn through from being smacked by the fan. If the fan was slowed a little by this, that would reduce cooling right? I never over-heated, just saw the temp guage rise a little above halfway (yes I'm still in sweet oblivion stock mode, no RavenTai).

So I'll know for sure if this did the trick next big trip, fixed it up real good this evening. :hill: yes that is a popsicle stick...

corsair23
07-28-2009, 12:36 AM
:thumb:

Excellent job...I'm sure if the fan was hitting the shroud and slowing it down that wouldn't help but one would think it would make a heck of a noise....

Oh, and just so you know...The stock gauge doesn't start moving north of center until about 220F or so IIRC (based on my past experiences). Case in point, per my scangauge I hit 217F coming up 285 out of Denver and the stock gauge was still dumb and happy at about the midway point. I posted up some specifics back awhile ago here or on MUD after our trip to CM07 and actually seeing the stock gauge move and approach redline...As I recall I figured there is only about 20F max from once the stock gauge starts moving up until it goes into the red zone...SHORT window to catch an overheat situation :eek:

nakman
07-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Ok well I topped out about halfway between middle and the start of the red.. call it 2/3. Same spot it hit a couple times last summer on the way back from Rubicon. I think I'll try what was suggested to me and remove the shroud & blast water at the radiator from the back side, to see what kind of gunk is stuck in there... afaik that's never been done so call it 13-14 years of buildup, maybe there's some dirt in there that's slowing up the airflow? I'll flush it out and do new coolant too, it's been a couple years.

How much is a new radiator, anyway? not that I want to go there..

corsair23
07-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Not sure about what a new radiator cost but seems like most that do that get the earlier year brass unit...I'm guessing $300+ :confused:

But, if you are going to blast out the crud, I can bring this to the meeting for you to borrow. I did mine (link (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4709)) a couple years ago and a ton of crap came out :D

http://thexton.com/media/products/Product_108.jpg

nakman
07-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Cool, I must have missed that thread the first time around that was a fun quick read... yes I would like to borrow that thing, thanks! So you just hook it up to the hose? does it have an elbow that makes it shoot sideways?

corsair23
07-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Yep, hook it up to the hose and have fun :D - The tip has the nozzle on the side so it shoots out sideways...The length of it makes it somewhat clunky at times to maneuver and to do a super thorough job you might need to loosen the shroud and other stuff, but it does a pretty good job...

I'll bring it on the 5th...If you remember, bring those ARB lenses/bulbs if you still have a set :thumb:

Corbet
07-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Tim when is the last time the fan clutch was replaced? It does not look like one of the new "blue" models. If you have been getting hot that is also a likely cause.

nakman
07-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Almost positive it's still the stock one. Is it worth the $200? http://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-storefront/293960-modified-blue-hub-fan-clutches-80-series.html

Uncle Ben
07-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Almost positive it's still the stock one. Is it worth the $200? http://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandise-storefront/293960-modified-blue-hub-fan-clutches-80-series.html

I believe you can get the fan cheaper from a supporting Stealership near you! I modded mine with 8500CSP fluid and it works awesome! You can buy any weight of Silicone fluid at your local hobby store that sells RC car stuff. It's used as shock oil and diff fluid for creating a bias in open diffs.

corsair23
07-28-2009, 11:23 PM
I believe you can get the fan cheaper from a supporting Stealership near you! I modded mine with 8500CSP fluid and it works awesome! You can buy any weight of Silicone fluid at your local hobby store that sells RC car stuff. It's used as shock oil and diff fluid for creating a bias in open diffs.

x2...I don't remember paying anywhere near $200 but it's been a couple years...Oh, and if you want to modify the fluid I may have some you can have...I think I bought a couple tubes of the 10K stuff and will probably only need one.

Corbet
07-29-2009, 06:44 AM
paid about $125 from CDan two years ago.

Beater
07-29-2009, 06:50 AM
In my rr, i went clutchless, when mine started slipping. just a thought. you should be able to find a spacer off the shelf to fit. just a thought.

Uncle Ben
07-29-2009, 06:55 AM
In my rr, i went clutchless, when mine started slipping. just a thought. you should be able to find a spacer off the shelf to fit. just a thought.

Not a good idea if you ever do any water crossings!

Beater
07-29-2009, 07:23 AM
yeah - but I never have a problem with it honestly, and I did a lot in that vehicle. Like a lot of things, "it depends". I installed a flex blade fan at the same time, as is standard practice when going clutchless. Worked well.

nakman
07-29-2009, 08:00 AM
Ok so what's the benefit of doing all this- I have no reason to believe my current fan clutch doesn't work, I get the jet engine noise on hot starts and everything. Or do you think the clutch is slipping and the fan's not spinning as fast as it could or should be? Am I after a faster fan, or one that spins faster sooner? I still think my first move is just clean around the radiator, if there's an airflow issue then these fan mods are just delaying the inevitiable.

Corbet
07-29-2009, 08:07 AM
clean out the radiator but when I replaced my original fan clutch at 81K it still worked. With the new on however, I saw a temp drop around 7 degrees while climbing the west side of Vail Pass.

LARGEONE
07-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Nakman...there is a company that makes a very high quality radiator for many parts of the world and it costs less than the older OEM with nearly the same quality. Hit up Robbie at the next meeting for the name. It was less than $300 if I remember correctly. I would recommend the new fan clutch at the same time. It is very important for the clutch to be working properly, from what I read on different threads? Overheating is not something to be messed with!!!

Uncle Ben
07-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Ok so what's the benefit of doing all this- I have no reason to believe my current fan clutch doesn't work, I get the jet engine noise on hot starts and everything. Or do you think the clutch is slipping and the fan's not spinning as fast as it could or should be? Am I after a faster fan, or one that spins faster sooner? I still think my first move is just clean around the radiator, if there's an airflow issue then these fan mods are just delaying the inevitiable.

On a warmed up truck have someone start it on your command while you hold the fan with a leather gloved hand. Hang on to the fan while the temps rise and feel how much resistance. There wont be a lot but there should be some which should increase as the temps climb!

corsair23
07-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Tim,

If you discover your fan clutch is bad and don't want to buy a new blue hub one right now, I have the old fan clutch off the :Princess:'s 80 still if you want it. Replaced it 2 years ago with a blue hub but not because of any known issue, just because of the heating up issue we had on the LX coming back from Moab. Figured if the LX's fan clutch was bad then the 80's might not be far behind :dunno: - Also, I haven't yet subscribed to the if it ain't broke don't fix/replace it theory yet on these trucks :hill: (case in point the rear rotors on the 80...)

Had around 100K on it when it was pulled

Beater
07-30-2009, 01:10 PM
performance radiator rules- if you need a new one

nakman
07-30-2009, 01:34 PM
On a warmed up truck when we're at Yankee Doodle Lake on Saturday I'll hold your fan with a glove while you start it, and I'll tell you if I think your clutch is working 100%

Ok, sounds good! :D

Red_Chili
07-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Next up, stay tuned to 9 News for a story from the suburbs about a man whose fingers were found in the neighbor's BBQ steak! Now a word from our sponsor...

Uncle Ben
07-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Next up, stay tuned to 9 News for a story from the suburbs about a man whose fingers were found in the neighbor's BBQ steak! Now a word from our sponsor...

Disclaimer: If the fan does not have a clutch hub this test will be for glove material quality rather than viscosity bias! :rolleyes::eek:

nakman
08-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Hey Jeff, I blasted my radiator last night and must admit that magic wand of yours is pretty slick! There weren't any huge clumps of dirt or anything but I had a pretty dirty stream of water running down the driveway for a while, and there are some smaller hunks of mud that fell down and I don't know where else they could have come from, so must have been the radiator. Probably not a huge impact, but I think every little bit helps and getting 13 years of dust out of there just feels good, if nothing else. :beer:

corsair23
08-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Excellent :thumb:

Glad it worked for you.